What Anti Virus do you use ?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Marri, Jul 25, 2005.

?

What Anti Virus do you use ?

1. Kaspersky

37 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. NOD32

64 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. McAfee

23 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Avast

47 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. Panda

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. Norton

55 vote(s)
    17.8%
  7. AntiVir

25 vote(s)
    8.1%
  8. AVG

74 vote(s)
    23.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Clements

Clements Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 670
    I still use Norton, been using it for years without a problem. It offers a much better detection rate than free antivirus apps such as AVG or Avast if you look at a decent comparison site such as av-comparatives. The definitions are updated daily now. I have not had a single virus since I started using Norton. I find Norton pretty easy to uninstall and update.

The RAM usage is actually fairly low with the 2006 edition. Right now, the active scanner (ccApp.exe) is using just 22MB, while my Firefox is using 80MB - not even a dent on my 1024MB total and 1.5GB pagefile. My boot time is not longer as far as I can tell. My system performance is unaffected. Best of all it was free in my case. Not to bash other decent Antivirus apps like Nod32, just to say the latest Norton is much better than some of the forum members here make out based on past bad experiences.

2. Khenglish

Khenglish Master Guru

GPU:
    external GTX 580
    Clements, what about the ram usage of the other Norton processes like ccEvtMgr.exe, ccSetMgr.exe, CCProxy.exe, SPBBCSvc.eve, SNDSrvc.exe, ISSVC.exe, navapsvc.exe, symlcevc, and Navw32,exe.

All of these processes are in the 2005 edition and use 41MB on my pc, and the ccApp.exe process uses 22MB, so Norton 2005 on my pc uses 63MB of ram. All processes are required to run.

I wish I knew of other AV programs before I bought this.

3. Clements

Clements Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 670
    Firefox still uses more memory of all of those processes combined with a couple of tabs open, as does any Java app like Azureus. I currently have over 700MB free. ~60MB really is nothing for me, when I have other apps I use that use in excess of 100MB on a regular basis.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  4. Stev0

Stev0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TITAN Sc SLI
    NOD32

Best one out
    and you can trial before you buy

http://www.eset.com/download/trial.htm

:)

5. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    Yea I had the 2005 edition... maybe the 2006 edition isnt as bad. But I hated that norton brought all these other so called "modules" to protect the PC... like its own firewall and stuff. AS well as having like 10 things at startup... I dunno about trying it again...

6. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    I had posted in this thread a few months ago discussing some of the different anti-virus/firewall options. I tried a few different ones but had gone back to Norton Anit-Virus 2005 w/Spyware Protection. For me it works quite well although I still don't like the multiple startup programs and high resources it demands. One of the reasons I put up with it is because of the ease of use and simplicity. I am fairly decent at most computer tasks but I have a hard time configuring the anti-virus/firewall settings with confidence.

Although Norton had many startup programs when it is activly running I think it actually used less than when I was using both Kaspersky and Outpost together. Without knowing better that could have been a function of not having them setup correctly or optimized very well? Does anyone have any thoughts on this or suggestions as to what other anti-virus/firewall programs actually use considerably less resources than Norton Anti-Virus + Firewall? Thanks guys, much apprecited!

7. I'm using ANTIVIR , not because it's free, but because it's actually awesome.

i downloaded an exe and Antivir screamed "ASSASSIN Trojan 2.0 W32",
    scanned the file (to be sure), with NOD32 and Kaspersky with latest definition, they didn't pick it up, not even with maximum detection settings.

8 months today, and NOD32 and KASPERSKY didn't catch it, ANTIVIR still detect it, in fact i try open the file on a virtual pc and sure as hell opened port 49777 (netstat -an confirmed this).

either ways, Antivir is great for me along with Outpost Pro Firewall (+ ADSL router) :D

8. desdick

desdick Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia Geforce 6800 PCIe 256mb
    OMFG!!! I didn't know so many of you uses Mcafee!!!! That is a good antivirus software. Internet security is incredibly... secure, I believe. However, the 1 major problem is: ITS A MEMORY HOG!!!! On my systems, it eats up 300-500MB OF MEMORY!!!!! Still using it though. Didn't seem to slow anything much down, including BF2 and NFS:MW. Perhaps I didn't notice it, as I was using norton in the past.

9. fatsaint

fatsaint Master Guru

10. Stev0

Stev0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TITAN Sc SLI
    Trust me it will,just do a full update when you install it and then do a full scan.

11. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Hey Guys,
    I very much want to uninstall Norton AV 2005 tonight, it has to go! I have spent the last two nights researching different options and still don't what to use since I want to run both AV and Firewall protection. I have used Kaspersky in the past along with Outpost but didn't like it that much. I was thinking about trying NOD32 but don't know what Firewall to use with it, does anyone have any suggestions? Most importantly I want to use something that will work with NOD32 without having any compatibility issues? Maybe Zone Alarm or Outpost, even though I didn't like Outpost maybe it will work better with NOD32 than it did with Kaspersky? Thanks for you help guys, much apprecaited!

12. Stev0

Stev0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TITAN Sc SLI
    What motherboard are you using because if its one with an Nforce 2/3/4 chipset you can use the Nvidia hardware firewall that is built into it with Nod32 AV.

13. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    I do in fact have an nForce 4 SLI motherboard w/built in hardware firewall. The only problem is I have heard bad things about it. I had heard it is pretty much unusable because of driver compatibility issues? If you have heard different or have tried it let me know because I would love to use it!!! Thanks for the post!

14. Paulus

Paulus Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    None:
    I dont' need to.. using linux :)

15. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Hi there Roger_D25
    I use (Nod32 with Kerio Personal Firewall 4.2.2-911 they get along ok) & i just got Diskeeper Pro PE v10 better then DK9 i think.

16. S_Kinton

S_Kinton Ancient Guru

GPU:
    512mb 8800GT & 22" Samsung LCD
    Cant believe you dont have Trend Micros PC-Cillin on there,

I use their Internet Security 2005 package. Been using pc-cillin for about 6 years now and its very very good

17. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    That is the other thing I have been curious about. I recenlty bought a new motherboard and graphics card. Well after I formatted HDD's and rebuilt Windows Diskeeper had gone from 9 to version 10. I had DK 9 installed before and didn't have to buy it. I just downloaded the Professional version and it worked without having to register. Now sure how that worked but it did. Now that they have come out with new version I can't just download and use for free. Looks like I'll have to pay for this one! I don't mind though, I really like the program espeically the boot-time defragmenter, FragShield, etc... One of the better programs out there for defregmenting! Thanks for the post!

18. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    THanks for the post, I havn't checked that one out yet. Your not the first one who has said good things about it.

19. Stev0

Stev0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TITAN Sc SLI
    I have found it just fine to run ,I also had my doubts because of the bad write-ups about it but most of those seemd to be to do with changing very advanced options like resource offloading.
    I found that with a bit of ground work setting it up right with my own profile it would pass all security scans and checks even from the best like shields up.
    I'm not however saying that there is'nt bugs there is ,but they are silly bugs that can be worked around in a heartbeat and dont leave you unprotected.
    If you need help or want more info about then let me know or pm me.

20. gsxrjunkie

gsxrjunkie Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG gts250oc
    antivirus? lol,i havent used antivirus in ages,or a firewall.never 1 problem.just gotta be smart.