What am I doing wrong?? (SSD m.2 performance issue)

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by newls1, Sep 7, 2016.

1. newls1

newls1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan XP (2017)
    I just bought a Samsung 950 Pro 256Gb m.2 drive and my performance numbers are no where close to where they should be *I THINK*.. Can someone please tell me what im doing wrong here. I have the NVME samsung driver installed, along with other updated drivers for this JUST FRESH win10 install on this NVME m.2 drive. I took a snap shot of my settings and AS-SSD benchmark results and numbers appear to be way short.... HELP!@!!!!

[​IMG]

2. newls1

newls1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan XP (2017)
  3. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

Can you try check those speeds with Samsung Magician and try to test that with one GPU,just to be sure ?

Thanks,Jura

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    1. How much space is being used on this drive?
    Reviews test a blank drive.
    2. What intel RST/nvme driver are you using?
    Here is latest nvme driver
    NVME

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    You are thinking not enough pcie lanes? That cant be right.

6. newls1

newls1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan XP (2017)
    the drive *JUST* has the OS on it and nothing else.. free space on drive = 210gb's..... I have the samsung nvme driver installed, why do i need an intel nvme driver? Am i missing something? Something isnt "Right" here... my older SM951 256gb ahci drive had reads over 2000mb's, surely nvme can achieve the same if not more on equal capacity drives..... :3eyes:

7. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Yes and no there,in one sense I think this can be down to PCI_E lanes and in second this can be as PCI_E lanes are shared like with SATA(in his case I think SSATA3_2) and GPU

But I'm not 100% not sure if I'm correct with that,but it easy to at least test that in his case

Thanks,Jura

8. joey79

joey79 Member

GPU:
    GTX780
    The performance also depends on the enrgy settings in Windows. Please check if high performance is enabled and if you use PCIe energy saving features (in UEFI).

9. Driller_au

Driller_au Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Ti OC
    not sure about asrock bios but with my asus bios i had to go to > system agent configuration >NB PCI-E configuration and change from Auto to gen 3
    before
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]

10. newls1

newls1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan XP (2017)
    i have them set to gen 3 in bios... im screwing something up and im getting pissed! Also to the above poster saying something about the power settings... I do have my power settings set to "High Performance"

11. Driller_au

Driller_au Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Ti OC
    Your write times are up to spec it is just the read times that are down, I am sure you have but did you run AS SSD a few times mine will give different numbers every time ,just a thought with those two 980s have you got enough PCI-E lanes? it is just i read some where about that

12. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE