Westinghouse 37" 1080p HDTV

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Cornelius, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Cornelius

Cornelius Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 770 2GB
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7749653&type=product&id=1140394400806

Does anyone have this? I was about to buy one of these from BB at $1199 when they were on sale, but the deal expired. I'm still toying around with getting one when/if they go back on sale.

If anyone has one of these, let me know if I should get it or not. I'm considering building a high-end media pc, and want to know if it's crisp enough for reading text.

2. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
  3. Toji

Toji Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT 256MB
    I got a 27" 720p Westinghouse LCD for $699, it rules. :D

It's comparable to a Toshiba 27" LCD which costs over twice as much.

I believe Westinghouse buys screens that can't reach certain specifications for name brand TVs. This improves yeild for the manufacturer. Intead of tossing them out, sell them to Generic brand names for a lot cheaper. This in no means, means the screens are broken. The just have reduced refresh times, or lower contrast and brightness specifications.

However, I will tell you a secret, that most people don't know. Most people fail to relize that they can calibrate their TV to make it look significantly better. Default factory setting are usualy very laid back, and give a washed out look to your videos. Just by using the TV remote you can adjust brightness, contrast, saturation, sharpness, and backlight (LCD), to make your vids look crisp, colorfull, and the only way to make HD video look HD.

I also have another good tip, reduce back light by 20%, you will not be able to notice the diffrence between 100% and 80%. 80% backlight bightness, will increase the lifespan of your backlight and draw less power.

4. epsilon72

epsilon72 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800 GTX 256MB
    I don't believe that's true; they're made by some Taiwanese company named "Chi Mei" or something (never heard of 'em) that's probably why they're cheaper (besides the fact that westinghouse isn't a brand name like sony either).

I just ordered the 37" westinghouse for $1378 including shipping from radarcity.com. here's to hoping there's no defects when it arrives....
    First time posting here, let me just say this emoticon rocks - :puke3:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006

5. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    holy **** your kidding 1100 ? jesus i paid 1200 for mine 6 months ago and min is the 32"

holy crap.. sounds like i better sell my 32 and get the 37!

i LOVE my westinghouse btw. VERY good TV. Olevia is the only other company who can pricematch Westinghouse for size vs price. vs quality.

dont worry, i have never known anyone to get a bad WH.
    their speakers suck so i hope you have a stereo or surround.

6. epsilon72

epsilon72 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800 GTX 256MB
    That's good to know :)

Yeah best buy pays about $1175 for the actual unit so that was a killer sale. Too bad it's not going on anymore, i think they're charging around 1450 at the moment (when they actually have them in stock...)