Western Digital unveils Black 3D NVMe M2 SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Western Digital today introduced the new Black 3D NVMe SSD. These units offer Sequential read (up to 3,400 MB/s for 1TB and 500GB model) and write performance up to 2,8001MB/s for the 1TB model....

Western Digital unveils Black 3D NVMe M2 SSD

2. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Hey Hilbert,
    For a drive with upto 3400MBps, I think the write performance may have a typo at 28001MBps.

Please confirm.

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ah that last 1 should have been superscript with 1 meaning the 1TB model, fixing, thanks.

4. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    the intel 760p seem to me to perform quite a bit better at much lower price, am i rigth?

5. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    That's some serious write speeds. I got a 960 EVO 500GB recently to replace my 256GB 950 PRO but I wouldn't mind having that tbh.

Especially with that nice 5yr warranty also vs the 960 EVO's 3yr one.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    $50 more than I paid for my 1TB Intel 600p but much better write speeds. Not bad.

7. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Top pic is my 960 Pro (512GB on latest firmware and Samsung NVMe drivers), bottom pick is this new WD drive.

From the looks of this the read speed is roughly the same but the new WD drive will install software at a noticeably faster speed. Both the sequential write speed and 4KQ1T1 write speed is seriously impressive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Credit to SSD review for WD CDM benchmark pic:

http://www.thessdreview.com/featured/wd-black-sandisk-extreme-pro-m-2-nvme-ssd-review-1tb/

8. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    wow perfect timing for me, i was saving for the 960 Evo 500GB next month, well i guess its now best to get the WD black 500gb

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    You are comparing empty drives to yours.

Small files below 4K are pretty atrocious compared to 960s, which is where most real world 'feel' performance matters.

Compare ATTO and you'll see those drives are more than 5 times faster.

960 EVO is still a better performer, unless the WD is significantly cheaper I'd pass on it.

10. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    The gap is not dramatic OS VS. data drive but you are right about the very small files, below 4K the 960 is the clear winner.

Looking deeper its almost like the WD back is designed to present well to CDM. I am sure it is just coincidence but that bench result is a bit deceiving.

11. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Taken from same source. Can't remember if different CDM versions affect results much tho.

WD Black M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB

[​IMG]

Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB

[​IMG]

12. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Sure looks like WD optimized these to be write monsters and focused on 4K+ for read speed. The scores on other bench tools for files smaller than 4K don't look anywhere near as good as this.

If you benched installing Windows on one of these I bet it would be faster than anything other than the 900P drives.

13. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yes, all synthetic benchmarks (and a few others, too) should be taken with a large grain of salt, imo. Mostly they are psychological props designed to aid sales, either of specific products, or else broad product categories. After all, it's not so much the performance you get but the performance you think you get that is important, right?...:D

14. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Actually thinking of buying one just to benchmark. On paper it looks pretty good for the price.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Small file performance is most important for general users.

General users won't have applications that can use a queue depth of > 2 to 4.

High queue depth is unrealistic in anything other than datacenter/server usage

BTW my 960 Pro bench was 63mb/s 4k read and write 279mb/s write with 200Gb ~ used space.

Unless 512GB pros are just that much slower than 1TB, I'd say you have some form of power management affecting speed.

16. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    That is why I only test Q2T1 and Q1T2 on top of Q1T1. You get a pretty good idea of the worst case and how well you scale up from there.

As far as price goes, the 760P is looking kind of good. I need a new M.2 drive so I think I will get one and see how it performs IRL. The 4KT1Q1 speed looks pretty amazing for the price.

I kind of wish CDM had the option to change the 4K like it does the Q and T count. 1KQ1T1 and 4KQ2T2 would give a decent representation of worse case and scaling.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Great drives!

But WD arent doing their customers many favours by not distinguishing these from the older version enough.
    On UK Amazon for example Joe Bloggs might never know the ones for sale right now are not this faster version unless he has a mate who can tell him.
    I noted one result on Amazon US that says old version in brackets but will all results be trusted in this manner?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/re...ag=thssre20-20&keywords=wd black M.2 NVMe ssd
    Thats just Amazon, plenty of retailers will want to get rid of old stock at high prices.

I imagine the 2X part number is the new version and 1X the older SSD.