1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Western Digital Starts shipments of 96-layer 3D QLC NAND - capacity of 1.33 Tb

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    related news: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/w...ory-for-hard-drives-opens-one-for-ssds.422085

With QLC I guess we coming closer to line where it could cheaper for datacenters to have SSD instead of HDD. HDD could still be used for backups, not active machines that work 24/7.

HDDs does fail more frequently (in my experience), have movement parts, consumes more energy, requires more cooling and takes more space. I am not mentioning the performance here.

So once we weight all risks and additional costs HDD will bring, it actually might not be a bad idea to have SSD instead. The only moving parts left in servers are cooling.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Fox2232 likes this.
  3. Silva

Silva Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    33% more density, at the cost of 3x of the cycles. No thanks.

4. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    If cheap enough QLC drives should make a good secondary storage drive like for media or backups.

5. Silva

Silva Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    How about long term reliability if powered down? I think you can lose your data if you don't power it up from time to time. But I'm not sure about that.
    PS: The price will probably not go down as we might hope. It will probably stay the same as TLC and go down slowly with time.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Prices are going down on daily basis...
    New ADATA XPG GAMMIX S11 SSD 480GB is pretty fast and undercuts competition. I sense Disturbance In The Force.

Silva likes this.
  7. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    Well until I can get a 2+ tb ssd for under $100, I wont be switching to ssd's for storage any time soon. It will happen eventually though, cant argue with that!

8. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    i wonder are there any data-center start moving out from HDD and start deploying/replacing to full SSD yet ?

the limited write-cycle seems one of the concern for data-center, which why SSD designed for data-center still expensive

i read somewhere that google using DRAM+HDD, so SSD unnecessary

9. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I think most HDD would fail before SDD reaching its write cycle limit.

10. Silva

Silva Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    I think the appeal for an SSD is not storage at all. The access times and R/W speed as always been the number 1 factors for me.
    My best friend was not convinced by 256Gb drives but I bought one as a boot drive: best purchase I've made since my 2500k. In the future I'll probably buy a 512Gb SSD and move this one to my mothers computer as a boot drive.
    Large capacity is only worth it for work on workstations, if you do allot of video editing with 4k content, etc.