1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We're halfway through 2011 and I'm still rocking a GeForce 8 series

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Skyline1010, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Skyline1010

Skyline1010 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650Ti Boost
    I've been all over the place with this rig- the DFI is a touchy ****er of a board when it comes to overclocking, but I worked through it and got almost to where I was with the P5Q Pro (4.25GHz). I also went through three (yes, three) sets of Dominators to get a set that worked in the DFI after a stick went bad, but here I am with the full 4GB ensemble. It's working out problems like that that get you attached to a rig...

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    I've had no problems with mine, but really what's been holding me back on a higher oc is my memory, that's how one of my xms set died.

3. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    I'd join in the older card pride here...if I hadn't been playing The Witcher 2 this week and was forced to turn it on the lowest settings, even with patch 1.1. It sucks not being able to play a beautiful game well.

It also seems like the new Sandy Bridge CPUs are too powerful compared to what games need from GPUs. So I guess I'm looking at a 2500k upgrade (my CPU cooler did just fall off and all) and waiting for Southern Islands. The 4850 was a champ of a card through three years, but it's time has gone.

4. Skyline1010

Skyline1010 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650Ti Boost
    Could your issue be driver related though? Just a thought.

And for my use, the 8800 is still enough. A 5 year old card being able to do that is astounding. I remember seeing the first info on them in MaximumPC and pretty much drooling- now I've been using one of my 'dream cards' for quite some time.

5. Ish

Ish Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    I'm still rocking my 8800GTS...

The only problem I have for it is when there is a lot of smoke on screen my FPS drop slightly.. like 40fps to 25fps.

I play Battlefield BC2 on Medium/High settings, with 2xAA and runs smooth.

Will upgrade GPU once there is a nice price drop on a 560Ti or ATI equivalent.