Well, time to cool the old beast (9800XT heat problems)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by RaptorX30, Feb 25, 2005.

1. RaptorX30

RaptorX30 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5770
    I've been running on stock cooling for a while now and have had little problems, but in the past few days I have been noticing framerate problems and yesterday te VPU crashed, so I investigated and the first thing I checked seemed to be the problem:

[​IMG]

I've been looking into that arctic cooler whatever thing, but it would cost around 50$ to ship (with some AS5)

Any reccommendations? I dont want to have to spend 50$ on cooling my GPU

2. Ehecu

Ehecu Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5750
    The Arctic Cooler is pretty much the best VGA cooler out there and an excellent choice if you're looking to reduce temps that high. Might want to look into one of these as well - http://www.xpcgear.com/vantecspefan.html

9800 XT's do generally run hot, but 120 degrees seems a bit excessive... Make sure your case it well ventilated and that you're getting good air flow. If that doesn't help then a new VGA cooler is probably your best answer.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  3. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    o-O 120C, you can use your video card to make some steaks for dinner.

4. Phalkon30

Phalkon30 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 GT @ 420x1175 /water
    You don't really need the Arctic Silver 5, although it would help. The Arctic Silencer comes with thermal paste.

I just bought my NVS 5 from http://coolerguys.com/videocooler.html who is running a special on them. Shipping was a little high, but thats the best deal I could find on them. So you could do it for 25-30 bucks. I've been pulling some massive overclocks out of this thing, they're great.

5. PsXDnS

PsXDnS Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 XT @ 434/389
    My HSF on my 9800XT recently crapped out.. I'm guessing this is your problem. You should listen to the fan and see if its hitting the side of the card, or otherwise functioning incorrectly..

Bought an Arctic Cooler, had no problems since.

6. retiredat44

retiredat44 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080-ti 11 G
    ** see the thread "Warranty Service Time " where I told of overheating in a room that is too hot... (Too hot can be 80 degrees..)
    :)