Well, I am finnaly going thru with it.....

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by alpha2k, May 22, 2007.

1. alpha2k

alpha2k Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 768MB
    I am going to school. (GASP!!)
    Sick of the dead end $8 - $10 an hr jobs, busting my back all the time, so I have enrolled in school.
    My plan is to go 1 yr and get a degree/diploma/certificate (seems every place calls it differet) then hopefully find a job makeing 38k-40K starting, at least that's my plan. After that I am "hopeing" that whatever company that I go with, they will send me back to school for another year and get my associates, then back again for bachelors.......at least that's what the "plan" is anyways, I just hope it works out that way, or at least on a good note.
    At 43 I am really concerned that my age may affect my job status, but we shall see I guess.
    It will not be easy I'm sure, holding a job, 30-40 hrs a week, and doing school and studying, but I'm am hopeing that in the end it will all be worth it,

2. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    No insult intended but I have to ask, why have you waited so long to move forward in life when you have been so unhappy?

3. Joey

Joey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Is this 'spelling and grammar' based learning?
    If so...... rock on with your middle-aged bad self. It's never too late to learn.

4. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    :)
    yeah
    kinda like tony danza in who's the boss

5. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    Go ahead Alpha2k, it's never too late to start!. I don't know if you will meet your financial expectations, but I can assure you one thing: once you learn something, no one can take it off your head. You may lose your strength or your legs, but you'll never, never lose your knowledge.

6. alpha2k

alpha2k Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 768MB
    no, the spelling thing is due to lack of sleep, and working overnights, so I probably made some really bad typos and errors in grammer lol

2 that come to mind are "finnally" and "hopeing" wich are meant to be finally and hoping :)

7. wizard8873

wizard8873 Master Guru

GPU:
    2xeVGA 8800GTS Watercoole
    wow, 8-10/hr and 43yrs old. :eek3: no offense intended but i can't imagine living on that wage that far into my life. i could barely get by with bills, gas, and car payment when i was making 8.50/hr. adding food, insurance, family, and other misc expenses into that, i seriously cant see how you did it.

college shouldnt be too bad if you put your mind to it. even with work, i was about to work 30+ hrs a week and take four classes and still had time for myself here and there. depending what you went in for earlier, if you did go to college, most degrees have changed so you might have to start all over so it means a few years of school.

8. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 3X OC
    did you forget...? alzheimers

sorry :approval:

9. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    wich=which

10. alpha2k

alpha2k Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 768MB
    Yes that to, sorry heh.
    I am switching to days so that will soon not be the case, I will actually be human again.

Yes, you are correct, $10 an hr isn't much, and BARELY (if that) pays everything, luckily I have been supporting a wife and 2 kids off that, not sure how, but I have. I can't say it has been fun at all, becuase it has been really ruff, but things are looking up.
    I guess you could say I am a late bloomer, but I guess late is better than never.

11. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    I work 40 hour weeks and took 6 night classes. I graduate this fall with my BS in Computer Science with a minor in Business Management.

2 Classes this summer / 5 in the fall.

Go for it; it's definitely doable and more power to you. There are lots of older men and women going back to school and it's worth every second.