Weirdly-specific bug

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by J__, Jul 9, 2024.

1. J__

J__ New Member

GPU:
    `
    Reproduction steps:
    1. Install MSI Afterburner and RTSS
    2. Set up MSI Afterburner to start with Windows and have an OSD configuration that also starts RTSS
    3. Open Visual Studio and create a project using the C++ Console App template
    4. Enable Code Analysis: Project Properties -> C/C++ -> Command Line, add /analyze to Additional Options
    5. Build the project
    6. Restart the computer
    7. Open the project and build it again. Observe that it behaves as if it's doing a clean build, rather than recognizing that nothing has changed since the last build.
    8. Disable Start with Windows in MSI Afterburner
    9. Restart the computer
    10. Clean the C++ project and build it again
    11. Restart the computer
    12. Open the project and build it again. Observe that it recognizes that nothing has changed since the last build this time.

The project needs to be cleaned in order for the bug to start or stop, and the /analyze option is required for the bug to happen. Manually starting RTSS (rather than using start-with-windows) is untested. Running MSI Afterburner without RTSS installed doesn't cause the bug. Closing and reopening Visual Studio (without restarting the computer) doesn't cause the bug. Closing RTSS/Afterburner without restarting the computer also doesn't cause it, so it's not something that RTSS does during shutdown.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2024
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It is up to MS to debug it, sorry.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I am not able to replicate this

4. J__

J__ New Member

GPU:
    `
    I've replicated it on two computers and with a clean OS install.

MSI Afterburner v4.6.5, RTSS v7.3.6 (also does it without updating, 7.3.4?)
    Visual Studio v17.10.4 (also did it with 17.9.7 and 17.10.3)
    Windows 10 with all non-preview updates

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I'm able to reproduce it but won't be able to do anything without knowing /analyze mode implementation internals. It is not my process that fails to function properly when WH_CBT hook is installed. It is up to MS to debug and bypass it.