Weird stuttering after a while of play

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by keencoder, Sep 3, 2007.

1. keencoder

keencoder Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 Ultra
    Having this strange problem after a while of playing WOW. Game starts hitching (stuttering) when alot of animation (spell animation hitting ...etc) are going on mobs.

I recall once the game was playing silky smooth for 2 hours then all of a sudden stuttering started hitting hard, yesterday while raiding 1st try on a Boss was smooth, dead and on the second attempt stuttering started on animations (animations as in spell hitting boss animation fireballs ..etc) things looked jerky again. Had everest up, didn't notice any abnormal temperatures or changes in voltages. Things just seemed fine on the hardware side.

Spec: (System runs stable 12 hours Prime95, doubt my problem has anything to do with stability)

PSU Thermaltake toughpower 750w
    Asus striker extreme
    Q6600 2.4mhz @ (9x335) 3.015mhz (1.31v)
    Corsair Dominator (2 X 1GB) PC2-8500 (4-4-4-12 1T@ 335Mhz-670- v1.95)
    WD 150GB Raptor (10,000 rpm)
    EVGA 8800 GTS OCed (320MB basically)
    (Issue is the same with 163.44, 162.18 and the EVGA supplied driver)
    (Not: Always clean install (and us Guru3d sweeper to be certain)
    SB Audigy 2
    WindowsXP - SP2 (DX 9c)

Problem just seems completely random at times, tried rebooting but that doesnt change things either. Once I fooled around with the Nvidia driver settings while in game didnt change anything to be honest (was just checking if I was forcing anything like antialaising), but the problem went away when I got back in game.
    I had no clue why didnt change anything, suspected its a the texture problem that has been discussed regarding 8800GTS cards, but if a reboot doesnt fix the stutter then this issue is eliminated I would suppose.

Things I tried:
    -The drivers mentioned earlier
    -Defraged HD
    -WinXP multiprocessor patch (Power managment thing)
    -Swapped Video card slot
    -Ran default system standard (All OCing removed)
    -Lowered grafix settings didnt help

Well guys this has been going on for a while and am going mental. Would appreciate any help, suggestions or feedback you guys would provide.

:behead:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  2. St. bluedrop

St. bluedrop Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 570 TFIII@950MHz
    Sounds like the slowdown bug to me. You'll just have to wait for nvidia to fix it, it should be very soon!

When the stutter starts, just alt+tab out to windows and then back that should increase your frame per second. :approval:

3. keencoder

keencoder Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 Ultra

I thought the same, so tried a reboot to make sure (since some games alt-tab doesn't work). Unfortunately, after the reboot stuttering was still there. Insanely random

4. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    If it's still happening after a reboot I would suggest it's the server/lag causing the studdering...

With that said, I don't play WoW, and I have never seen the slowdown bug personally (perhaps because I have GTX?)...

5. keencoder

keencoder Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 Ultra

Na the affect is different between that and an actual latency lag. And in the cases that I have had trouble my latency hasnt changed, eliminating server/lag being a reason.
    Latency issues would leave things smooth as is, my character moving with everything else forzen. Or character response to my commands and clicks are just late showing an obvious lag

6. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Sound driver problem?

I know enabling EAX on my ASUS crosshair causes lag in Bioshock using onboard sound but is fine in other games though! Disabling EAX and Bioshock plays fine.

Just a thought!

7. keencoder

keencoder Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 Ultra
    Gave up on onboard SoundMAX was complete crap, back to audigy 2 which is very outdated and its drivers never been great.
    Considering the new XFi, would just feel awfully let down when I spend the money and no stutter solution. But its an overall worth it idea, I give that a shot.
    In regards to WOW there is hardware sound accelaration option (assuming its refering to EAX) tried with that disable or enable doesnt have any implication. So a the new XFi might help solve the problem.

8. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Well don't go spending unless the problem IS sound related, i'm sure once you've exhausted all possibilites it's worth considering!

I can't gate EAX enabeld sound drivers for my Live 5.1 in Vista so that's why I'm using SoundMAX card unfortunately.

9. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6900XT
    Try adding more voltage to your ram, no ram can work 335mhz at this voltage.

you must give it 2.00 minimum, give it 2.05 just to make sure, if you overclock prime95 isnt so so at finding weird problem, they happend after very very long time, can be after 2 days without restarting.

so as what i see your problem now is the voltage, it may be so other things if you overclock FSB and other things.

For me WoW works fast as hell for more than 5hr as i do have a life lol.

in Vista, and XP, using lastest drivers chipset, Xfi, and 163.44

10. archie123

archie123 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    why dont you just set up riva tuners server and monitor your core/mem speeds , core temp , memory usage............(i could go on) ingame , then you can eliminate any gpu related issues as you'll be able to see exactly whats going with your gpu while the game is stuttering.

Hell you can even set it to monitor your cpu usage/temps and physical memory/pagefile usage too if you like (although there wont be much screen left to see your game running ;)

11. keencoder

keencoder Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 Ultra
    Well I dont like using Ntune, so instead I was loging PC performance using Everest Ultimate. The log never showed anything unusual interms of tempretures, mobo, cpu or gpu. Voltages and ram utilizations are also pretty stable all around for the whole duration.

That's just adding to my dilemma since I cant recognize anything unusual going on during that time.

As for my RAM is corsair PC8500, 5-5-5-15 rated at 1066mhz (533) with voltage being 2.2; and I am running it at 4-4-4-12 1T 670mhz (335) v1.95
    and being carefull not over volt since it passed all stability tests at this level.
    I guess, adding another .05v is worth a try.

But a thought to ponder on, is that I ran the system none OCed, ie default everything and still had that issue after reboot.
    But then again the default on Striker Extreme Bios for my Corsairs is to run at 5-5-5-15 2T 800mhz (400) with v1.89, which is less than my manual voltage and RAM is clocked faster (Ironically making things worst if RAM volts was the issue which is maybe why I still had the problem)

I suppose its a place to start, I am rebooting and pumping voltage to v2.05-2.0 and see how it goes. I certainly hope this resolves it and end my problem.
    Unfortunatly, wont be putting this change to the test until Wed. thats when I am gonna be playing over 2hours of WOW with raiding stressed environment. Will be posting results by then.

Many thanks, appreciate the feed back :beam:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  12. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Is that Corsair RAM the SLI enabled version with EPP?

I run 2GB of Crucial Ballistix RAM with SLI EPP @ 4-4-4-12 which Everest says has overvolted the RAM to 2.38v as well as the VTT voltage to 1.18v.

If the RAM is SLI enabled then it should operate without problems. I've been running my system with an overvolted SLI profile and had no issues on my Crosshair board for the 3 months I've had it. Seeing as it's Corsair RAM I would think it would be tolerant of overvolting to 2.2v (if that is not it's normal voltage) so I somehow do not think it's a RAM problem as you are just having problems with one game, WOW!

13. keencoder

keencoder Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 Ultra
    They are SLI compatible, but I disable SLI in the bios its known to lead to unstability when OCing.

14. pilistorac

pilistorac Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI HD 5850@900

Same problem here ... I have EVGA 8800 320mb also and i have problem with games I play (bf2142, JOTR ... etc). I have strange slowdowns while play and after i exit game i check speed with ATI tool and it's only 430 fps there instead of 1100 but clock is unchanged (630/1000). Simple reboot don't solve problem card is slow until i completely turn comp off for 10 seconds and after turn on and new boot everything is ok again. :behead:

15. keencoder

keencoder Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 Ultra
    Not sure I understand what you meant by 430 fps?
    If something has changed I guess something went wrong might have missed on that. So do you mean 430Mhz, and which clock are you refering to if it is? GPU, GPU Shader or GPU Memory Clock!

Pretty interesting, 10 seconds of switching off. Never tried that I just tried a reboot and it didnt go away. I will give that a shot if it re-occurs.

16. pilistorac

pilistorac Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI HD 5850@900
    When you start "3d view" on ATItool you see a hearry cube rotating and on bottom left corner you see average frames per second and in my case it's supposed to be 1100 frames and i have only 430 at that moment. Strange thing is that clock isn't lowered .. it's 621/1000 (readings from rivatuner and atitool)

17. VisionHD

VisionHD Active Member

GPU:
    xfx GTX260
    Hey is there any anticheat client running in the background like Punkbuster or something? If it is - it is causing stuttering.

I have asus en8800gts and i though i have a problem but i noticed that it only happens in americas army - punkbuster enabled game. PnkbstrA and B exe are causing that lag becuase evenbalance didnt fix them.

Hope this helps

18. Sailindawg

Sailindawg Master Guru

GPU:
    Power Color LCS 7970
    @ the original poster

This is kind of a shot in the dark, but your problem sounds like the problems with XP-S2 and dual cores.

Have you installed this hot fix and this hot fix. This article applies to both notebooks and desktop pc's equally.

19. keencoder

keencoder Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 Ultra
    Yes, I have the patch installed and I don't have Minimal Power Management selected.

20. keencoder

keencoder Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 Ultra
    well this is the update, ran into the problem again after increasing my RAM volts. I guess this isn't the reason behind this.

Explored my device manager today, just thought I should check IRQs
    and to my suprise I saw
    - 8800 GTS
    - Audigy 2
    - SiI 3132 controller

All running on IRQ 16, which is crap. A Dont recon grafix card beasts like the 8xxx like running on shared IRQs.
    Moving on tried rectifying this problem, relocated my Audigy on the motherboard and luckly it got of to IRQ 17.

But I am still stuck with
    - 8800 GTS
    - SiI 3132 controller
    Still on IRQ 16, and my Striker extreme manual designates IRQ 11 for the mass storage controler (i.e SiI 3132 controler) but apparently this is not the case.

WindowsXP and ACPI just prevent me from changing IRQs in the OS, it just automatically sets this crap up. And the Striker Bios has no options or controls linked to IRQ designations or setup.

For testing sake, I disabled the built in SiI 3132 controler in WindowsXP device manager, to rid the conflict and have my 8800GTS function alone on that IRQ. I am assuming that this wont harm my Raptor HD performance since I am not running RAID setup (correct me if I am wrong).

Anyone running similar configuration with Video card sharing IRQ?
    Is it ok for the SiI 3132 to share IRQ with 8800?
    ACPI is crap, cant think of anything to relocated the SiI 3132 IRQ to 11 it is built in the Striker.