Weird problem, can anyone help?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PlayboyAdvance, Jul 27, 2006.

1. PlayboyAdvance

PlayboyAdvance Member

GPU:
    PNY/GeForce 6800 GT/256MB
    Hi
    I have a really weird problem. My system keeps going into a mode where it consumes 80% CPU power and becomes really sluggish even though there are no processes (According to the Task Manager and Security Task Manager) that use up this CPU power. The thing starts with a distinctive "clonking sound" from one of the hard drives, most likely the drive with the System install.
    I've had the same weird problem before but I solved by replacing the PSU to a 500W one (so it seems it was a power related issue) but now all of a sudden it's happening again and I don't have more hardware now than I had a 2 weeks ago when everything just worked fine (for about half a year up until now).
    I've also replaced the anti.virus system to NOD32 thinking it may have been some malware that AVG missed, but apparently not. The annoying thing is that the only thing to get rid of this 80% CPU sucking thing is to reeboot, it doesnt matter how many processes I shut down manually. Eventually I get to the critical system processes that will require a reboot anyway.
    I know it all sounds weird, but it's happening and it's really annoying. I'm thankful for any help at this point.

My system:
    WinXP SP2
    Athlon 64 (Winchester, 3200)
    MSI Neo2 Platinum (nForce3 250 GB)
    1,5GB 333MHz DDR (2T)
    GeForce 6800 GT (91.31 WHQL driver)
    Audigy 2 ZS
    4 SATA HardDrives
    2xDVD
    500W PSU

/PA

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  2. kenace0

kenace0 Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx geforce 9600 gt
    check speedfan S.M.A.R.T and see if the hdd is ok

3. Marley

Marley Don José Cuervo

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 275 GTS
    Sounds to me like you have a HDD crashing, I had a 120gb maxtor that did that ruined the overall system performance and eventually died.

First thing is make sure the drive is not overheating HDD's will do a thermal calibration when they get hot (not all drives) this is a clunking sound, but it sounds similar to a head crash.

See if you can figure out which drive is doing it, then disconnect it and see if your problems are resolved. If the drive is going bad best thing to do is get a new one and ghost it to that one.

4. PlayboyAdvance

PlayboyAdvance Member

GPU:
    The last time I had this weird problem, I did exaclty that. I tried to locate from which HD the sound was coming and I'm 98% sure I loceted it correctly. Unfortunately It is the system drive, so without it I can't really boot to see if the problem is gone. I do howver intend to reinstall the system on a different drive. (Fortunately I have a spare partition that I can use for temp installs.) Ill let you know if this solved the problem.. However... The reson I remain sceptical is that I had exactly the same problem more than half a year ago. If the HDD was dying it should have died by now? But the problem disappeared completely when I upgraded the PSU... until now...
    I will also run a SMART test on the HDD, thx.

/PA

5. PlayboyAdvance

PlayboyAdvance Member

GPU:
    Ok so it's been a while.. So what happened?
    Well, heres what I've done.
    I installed Windoze on a different HD. Reinstalled some games to stress test it and there it was again - the same problem.. This eliminates all virus/malware theories (fresh system install). Maybe the old C drive really was malfunctioning? Disabled it in device manager.. No.. Still same problem.
    Opened the computer, placed GIANT office fan and having it cool down the computer (CPU idle temp is 26 degrees C!! That'¨s COOL!)
    But alas.. the problem remains!
    What the *HELL* is going on?
    Last time I changed the PSU, but why should it suddenly require more than 500W? You can see my fairly modest setup to the left.
    Any ideas at all??
    All the relevant drivers (chipset, gfx card, audio card) are latest WHQL versions.
    Nothing is overclocked and system temperature is cool. THere are no viruses or other malware, HDDs seem fine (according to HardDisk Sentinel SMART check). So what on Earth is causing this.... WEIRD... problem. (To repeat: After hearing a certain "clonking sound" from the HD the CPU usage goes up to ~70% and ONLY a reeboot will bring it back to normal. No processes listed claim this CPU usage.)
    Nobel Prize (imaginary) awaits the one who can solve this mystery.

//PA

6. PlayboyAdvance

PlayboyAdvance Member

GPU:
    Ok, this thing isn't getting any clearer. Now I replaced my Athlon 64 3200 with a dual core X2, 3800 and guess what. The weird problem seems to have disappeared (So far anyway (it's been a few days)).
    This suggestes that it had nothing to do with HDDs after all? (Even though the bug ALWAYS started with a clonking sound from the HDD) OR powersupply for that matter. Don't think the X2 3800 is sucking less power than the 3200. Hmmmmmm.... Weird, weird...

//PA