Weird problem after cleaning

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by krpetrov, Oct 4, 2012.

1. krpetrov

krpetrov Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7950 at 1135/6000
    So here is what I did!

I disasambled my fans on Haf922 for cleaning and get the back. Clean thorougly cpu fan. The heat sink was filled with dust so I use a toothbrush to scratch it. When I did this some dust fall over my video card. I cleaned it with dust collector without removing video card from the mobo.
    When I finished all cleaning procedures my pc wont boot. Fans,hdd spins but monitor is still blinking and appeared nothing on the screen. After a few resets it starts normally.

After cleaning video card sometimes pc fire up sometimes not. When I connect the monotor to iGPU of i52500k there is no problem - system boots without problem every time.

Very strange and annoying problem. I am sure the problem started after cleaning.

What do you think, what should i do to prevent this from happening again.

2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    I'm not exactly sure about the exact problem but imhad this kind of issue years ago. Randomly my pc was booting or not. Just fans were spinning but no video signal etc. Back that time I did, I unplugged all hardware. Sound card, gpu, cpu, rams etc. Then, 'replugged all of them back and my problem .

Just try it if u don't mind.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I've cleaned 1 or 2 video cards by gently brushing off the dust, they never worked again.....

4. krpetrov

krpetrov Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7950 at 1135/6000
    Probably something to do with static electricity.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Possibly.
    Nowdays I use air or just run them under cold water.

6. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Yeah, same here I killed a 6800 Ultra like this.. I think in order to do this you need a special type of brush probably.. all in all its not worth it.. a non weak-ass source of compressed air should blow away most of the dust.. a small layer may remain on there but it isn't harmful and not worth the risk of brushing away.

7. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I use an air duster only nowadays. You do end up with a thin layer of crap left behind but temps are hardly affected and lets remember that it takes quite a bit of dust in your case before your temps are affected by even 1 degree or so.

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Cold water? :O :-S

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah either that or throw them in the dishwasher.
    Then I normally pop them in the microwave for 30secs on high just to dry off any remaining moisture.

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Next you'll tell me to delete System 32 :p

11. GreenSmoke

GreenSmoke Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 660 OC FrzIII
    If you can't afford a small air compressor, go for the good ol' Can'o'air. If you don't want to keep buying those...then at least invest into a hairdryer that has a "cold air" feature along with the compressed/cone attachment and use that to clean out the PC.

Geez, Vacuums, Dustmagnet catchers, toothbrushes....crazy (not directed at you OP, just random people in general)

12. Bohi2_OGU

Bohi2_OGU Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    As mentioned cleaning is best with a air compressor( i use it my self cheaper and air enough) or a can of compressed air.
    Cleaning with a vacuum cleaner you get always electrostatic energy, even more if you using a brush. That brush is also most of time made of a fiber that can have electrical conduction .
    Also your pcb of all your components are still have a electrical charts remain if you turn the pc off also the CMOS battery still be fitted. Using a brush can give a shortcut to electrical components.

If you do so press a few times on the power button to 'discharge' if you have some LED (like a LED casefan attached) or something else you will see sometimes it blinks on if you do that step. Speak for itselfs that you unplug the power cord from the wall lol.
    Also remember if you clean with a fast air mover what ever vacuum cleaner or compressed air, block the fans from spinning. They give a very strange electrical charge to the motherboard and maybe more (dependent of the design of MB) to other components.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012