weird overclocking in the new 2.06 rivatuner

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by damien666, Nov 1, 2007.

1. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    i have a problem

if i put my core clock @ 620mhz in rivatuner or any other app it shows up as 621mhz in every app that detects the clock speeds,even rivatuner it self

but my problems is for the clocks to raise any more i need to bump it up to 634mhz or it doesnt seem to change

i.e.
    -620mhz o/c means my clocks at 621mhz, anything between 620-634mhz o/c then the clock still shows up as 621mhz BUT if i set the clock @ 635mhz o/c my core then shows 648mhz as the o/c

ANY IDEAS WHY

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

damien666, I thought that I more than clearly warned everyone that I stop answering such questions in the forum. If you think that it is a good way to get your fake bugreport answered by spamming me with PM's telling that RT is not working properly, then you're seriously mistaking. You won't get anything but RTFM in a reply on such PM. Everyone are warned.

3. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    god what did i do to get this + why would i spam

LOOK IF U DONT BELIVE ME

1- o/c @ 620/2000 SHOW AS 621/2000 (NORMAL)
    [​IMG]

2- o/c anywere between 620-634/2000 it show up as 621/2000
    [​IMG]

3- o/c @635-???/2000 it shows up as 648/2000
    [​IMG]

4. Unwinder

I'm not saying that you're lying. I'm saying that you're completely misunderstanding G80 overclocking basics. Clock frequency generation is granular on any hardware, it doesn't depend on RivaTuenr and it is ABSOLUTELY NORMAL.

Read it once again slowly: IT IS NORMAL, and hundreeds of reviews on the net explain G80 clock generation specifics. I'm not even saying about magic Search button in this forum, which also allows you to get the answer.

5. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    [​IMG]

EDIT & Off-topic: BTW, thanks Unwinder for another great release! ;)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  6. DES_MX

DES_MX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    FFS just because ****** like you Unwinder might commit suicide. Not funny actually :bash:

Seriously, why not READ SOME BACKGROUND INFO on G80/G92. ******* PM any user who has G80 card. ***** ****** *******!!!! Yeah

7. Unwinder

I stongly ask everyone to stop spamming me with similar PMs once again if your question is not answered in the forum. I've stopped supporting the forum because I'm REALLY tired of directly dealing with people refusing to think and read. If I ignore your question - treat it as receiving RTFM and start thinking. There is no need to spam me via PM. Let me breathe please and turn your minds on!

8. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    im sorry people please delete this thread if it help

im sorry im a noob to g80

9. Unwinder

No need to sorry, that's all right. Please just keep in mind that I still visit the forums and I won't miss a bugreport, so just don't forward the info you post in the forums directly to my PM. If I don't answer it means that I treat the question as documented, and somebody else will address your issue.

10. DES_MX

DES_MX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    Quit public development/releases for a month or two, let people realize the level of ignorance and stupidity they have reached, and maybe then they will start thinking in the proper direction.

However i am strongly convinced that it is only partially their own faults. It's not that hard to imagine how it all happens - nowadays people expect better products and service, better integration, faster and better communication. Specially with the increasing welfare and product satisfaction levels. Everybody is just so damn picky and selective, that it is reaching levels of total absurd.

The price of software also plays a role hereby, imagine having access to all kinds of media - music, movies, software (utilities, graphic editing suites, operating systems, etc) - all for free. Instead of buying something, taking a close look and valuing it, the opposite takes place - the "i want everyhing, right here, right now policy".

The same goes for reading before asking. Why read? Who reads? Uhhh.... reading? Tragic, but true.

11. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    ok mate thanks for all the info

im abut sad now as my card can handle 630/2000 but now i cant get 630mhz im going to have to stay with 620/2000

may i ask a big noob question while this thread is open
    1- will unlinking the core/shader allow my core or shader to clock higher without o/cing the other one as high (i.e. shader stock 1400 / core o/ced 635 = 648mhz got this info from the graph u posted)
    2- what gets better fps in games higher core or higher shader clocks as i know memory doesnt really do anything right

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  12. DES_MX

DES_MX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    First of all - 630Mhz is indeed not the very best result. You can however try the following:
    1) Downclock everything, to say stock/stock
    2) Now start overclocking the core only. See how far you get. Test for stability.
    3) Reduce core to default, go for memory - perform the same. ***(at this point make a mental note of how far the memory goes with the core and shaders being at stock, and reduce it back to default)***
    4) If you want, now try unlinking core/shader, see if while core reaches maximum you can squeeze something more out of shaders.
    5) Leave that at max reached in 4) and start upping the memory. You will most certainly hit barrier, maybe even earlier than 2000Mhz (or whichever you noted in step 3)), but it's ok - memory indeed doesn't have that much of an impact.

Good luck!

13. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    thanks mate this info is great

p.s. is the core or shader clock the best for ingame performance

14. nsegative

nsegative Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTX 768mb
    10 mhz more, call da polise ma I can't have my extra 1 fps.

15. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    i ment is i dont o/c the shader clock i might get the core to say 650-670-700mhz even MAYBE LOL