Weird microstuttering in World of Warcraft despite near contant 140 FPS with G-Sync

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Jan 29, 2021.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Rig is 3900X + 2080 Super w/ 32 GB 2933 MHz RAM (14/17/17/17/36 timings) and an NVMe SSD.

1440p 144 Hz G-Sync monitor (verified it was enabled by using fullscreen option in game, enabling G-sync for both windowed mode and fullscreen, then using the g-sync indicator so G-Sync is on and working).

From here I used the new driver FPS limiter to limit fps to 4 frames beneath refresh (140) -- I also tried RTSS with the same result.

While measuring performance in game, RTSS will report the framerate as always being 140 without drops (or, if there is a reported drop, it'll be 1 fps as reported by RTSS).

Previously in cities like Orgrimmar where I presume the CPU was getting thrashed my fps would genuinely dropped by scaling back view distance/environment detail/shadow quality appeared to have a huge CPU side improvement so even in those areas I'm mostly at very high framerates now.

Here's the issue I'm running into:

Even in light areas where the framerate is rock solid, the game will have this weird microstutter seemingly at random -- I have no idea why this happens. I'll pan the camera around and the game will stutter -- I'll swing it back and forth watching a distant object and like clockwork the game will stutter.

Game, my drivers, and windows are all up to date and I installed the latest AMD chipset for x570.

Anybody else experience this? Thanks!

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    D3D12 or 11?

BlindBison likes this.
  3. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    The behavior occurs of me regardless of DX9/11/12 -- I've tried each, though I'd assume dx12 would be "best" for high core/threadcount CPUs (assuming its not a half baked implementation at least).

I am able to somewhat reduce the frequency it seems by lowering those particular CPU intensive settings, but it still does occur.

I've also tried "Prefer Max Perf". I'm totally speculating, but ... maybe it's a latency issue since the 3900X has 3 different CCX's or some such? Perhaps whenever it has to pass data between CCX's or something there's a hitch, but I'm just completely guessing.

I noticed something very very similar happening in Assassin's Creed Odyssey for example.

Other games I have no such issues so I don't think there's a part of my hardware failing or anything like that.

4. shm0

shm0 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 SC
    I think no.
    Almost same setup as yours.
    (Freesync / 144 Hz but changed to 120hz because my second monitor is 60hz, FPS Cap -4 (e.g. 116))
    It was perfectly fine few weeks ago, high fps, smooth experience.

Also the average FPS in Raids are lower too. It was perfectly fine few weeks ago, as I mentioned.
    I was pretty amazed how smooth this was but now it is sometimes as worse as with my old AMD FX 8120.

Can be many things, Game addons going mad, weakauras changed (if you use this), something wrong with the drivers, blizzard changes something in the last patches, windows update screwed something again, idk.

Maybe some addon, weakaura screwed something with the cvars.

I know, its actually a meme… but did you try to delete the WTF, Interface folder(s)
    Maybe also try /console cvar_default (it will print a error message because some cvars are write protected)
    This will reset all your settings. (also the server side stored ones, I think...)

I have the feeling, using in-game vysnc (not forced through nvcp) + no fps cap (nvcp + in game) is a bit smoother.

Something seems off with DX12 too… almost gives me 30 fps less now.
    Because pascal GPUs are not allowed to have good DX12 performance?
    I mean 3-4 weeks ago there wasn't such a problem…

Also the CPU doesn't boost as high anymore (when running WoW),.
    Most of the time it is actually hovering below stock frequency and the GPU also isn't hitting its limit.
    Temps are fine.

//edit
    Maybe this is related to Blizzards anti cheat (Warden)
    Because it only happens sometimes?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    BlindBison likes this.

5. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    6800 reference UV
    Did you try without RTSS inject?

BlindBison likes this.
  6. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Yes, I tried disabling RTSS overlay and all external FPS limiters -- even if I allowed the game to run up against V-Sync and scale back all of the CPU intensive settings I mentioned if I just pan the camera back and forth it will occasionally "hitch".

7. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    @shm0 huh, I hadn't thought of Warden -- looking at some of Overlord gaming's tests, it does seem that anti-cheat can have a negative impact on CPU perf to some degree or another/i'd read in Ubi games in particular their anticheat could cause a lot of perf issues.

8. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    6800 reference UV
    Bummer. Well, on my brother's system with RX 6800 there was also inexplicable stutter with FreeSync in Watch Dogs Legion, even when there were no spikes in the frame time graph (and any overlay/inject disabled). No idea what can be done in such cases, maybe nothing. :(

BlindBison likes this.
  9. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680 Gtx Twin Frozr
    BlindBison likes this.
  10. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti Strix
    I notice micro stutters in oribos (very obvious) and orgrimmar (less in orgrimma) and also sometimes when transitioning an area and the area "NAME" pops up.
    Also noticed when using spells on packs of mobs the frametime can be a bit erratic.(especially if they are a quest mob)

I'm on a 3080/9900k/16gb ddr4/970 evo SSD w/g-sync. V-sync Global in NCP and off ingame with -3 with riva tuner.

Only addons I use are kui plates,littlewigs,bigwigs,dominos,simulationcraft

Forgot to mention it also get really micro stuttery when ppl are killing the weekly world boss.

BlindBison likes this.

11. zais101

zais101 New Member

GPU:
    2070s
    peace, have tried to set fclk to 1ghz from default 800mhz, it helps

12. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Thanks for the assist in any case!

13. NobleKing

NobleKing Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
    Lower the polling rate of the mouse and keyboard. I had the same issue with gsync when i lowered the rate to under 500hz it fixed the microstutter.

BlindBison likes this.
  14. Hemisfear

Hemisfear Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    his rig should easily handle 1000hz polling rate

BlindBison likes this.
  15. Ohmer

Ohmer Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti DUKE OC
    @BlindBison

Does the hitching still happen if you pan with the keyboard instead of the mouse?

I had exactly the same problem some time ago, though it was supposed to have been fixed.
    It's a pretty old bug, but I've left the extra setting in Config.wtf anyway, coz Blizzard etc.

You can either try : /console rawMouseEnable 1
    -or-
    you can add SET rawMouseEnable "1" in config.wtf
    upload_2021-2-3_14-1-45.png

BlindBison likes this.

16. Martin2603PL

Martin2603PL Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Some stuttering comes from compiling shaders.
    Too bad all shaders are not compiled during loading/starting game.
    Don't know most of the devs do this that way.
    I rather have few seconds longer loading than deal with stutter.

BlindBison likes this.
  17. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    I tried this since I saw on Youtube some tests on older CPUs showed it did increase CPU usage by like ~3-7% when moving the mouse -- didn't seem to affect much for the game on my end though. Thanks for the tip though!

18. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    I will try this thanks! I haven't done so yet -- if I use the console command will that enable raw input permanently or will I need to do it each time the game boots do you think? Thanks!

19. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Agreed, it is baffling to me when games don't precompile their shaders -- for example in some DX12 games now like the recent Modern Warfare or Horizen Zero Dawn they precompile the shaders while in other games they try to do it in real time (like BFV in DX12 mode it seems -- that games stutters like crazy for me the first time I play through a level but then smooths out hugely the second time -- this was talked about previously on other threads here).

Not sure how WoW handles it now, but I take it as a good sign they moved to DX12 -- hopefully means better CPU optimization/more multithreading (I imagine that's one of wow's big problems today being such an old game -- seems unlikely they're using a modern multithreaded job queue system for example due to the game's age, but who knows what work they've done thus far). They might've just done DX12 for the ray traced shadows setting, not sure.

20. Ohmer

Ohmer Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti DUKE OC
    You need to add the SET statement to your config.wtf for it to be permanent, as that file is processed each time the game loads.
    As mentioned, I still have it in mine just to be on the safe side, because Blizzard has a habit of breaking things they've previously fixed, and there are no ill effects in this case.

BlindBison likes this.