Weird issue with fullscreen gaming - W10 64-bit

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by pokerapar88, Jul 25, 2017.

1. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    So, I come to you because I have exhausted all my resources. Hope you can lend a hand.

I've been having an annoying problem when playing games in fullscreen mode (exclusive fullscreen). Games tend to minimize or go out of fullscreen to a windowed mode. This happens randomly with many games (but not all). If I play in borderless fulscreen i have no such issue (but many games don't have that function).
    My rig is in my profile. I use latest drivers and msi afterburner with a stable OC.
    Weird thing is I recently changed my gpu, psu and soundcard and this still happens... So it looks its not caused by the hardware itself, but it may be windows or driver related.

What I have already tried:

-tried different video drivers and settings. Also performed a driver full wipe.
    -removed OC from vga
    -tried different gpus (a gtx 970 and my current gtx 1080) both showed same behavior.
    -tried disabling windows error reporting (this was a possible fix according to a different forum). Did not work.
    -did an sfc /scannow
    -uninstalled a few programs like TeamViewer wich can cause screen issues to reduce possible variables.
    -disabled OSD

What I have deduced:

Taking into account that this happens more in some games than others and none on a few and that this happened with different gpus and drivers, it looks like there could be something in the OS misbehaving. This started to happen a few months ago, around the last w10 major update, and I think it is related to it. The game that has shown this behavior exhalted is BF1. But others have the same issue only more sporadic.

Does anyone have this issue? Does anyone know what could be causing it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Lucas

Edit: this is more than annoying because I use an HDTV and whenever the games go out from fullscreen, or into, the screen goes black a few seconds until signal comes back and picture is shown again.

2. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    Did you noticed if it occurs at a specific time of the day or at fixed time intervals(ex. every 45 minutes) ?
    I am thinking that it can be caused by a program/process that runs in the background.
    Did you tried disabling some background programs ?
    If not, try to disable one at a time and see if the problem persists.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It will sound silly but have your keyboard special button for disabling the Win key? Game always goes out from full screen mode when you press Win key.

If not Win key it sounds more like the start of a program (task from task scheduler). I can write a PowerShell script which will log such activity. Or you can search for a ready tool like process lasso (don`t know whether it is capable to just log the start of process but it should).

Update: Remembered one good tool
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon
    Launch it (before game), do not add new filters in the dialog box popped at the start - just click OK, and then select only "Show Process and Thread Activity" in the toolbar. And after your issue has happened go to Process Monitor, stop the logging and see for the process starts.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  4. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!

This is really helpful. Will try this and let you know!