Weird issue. Gpu black screen.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by itpro, Apr 1, 2021.

1. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    Hey there. I need your enlightenment. I cannot identify the root of my issue. Help.

Suddenly my system crashed and I cannot use my gpu with any drivers installed anymore.

I used two different hdmi cables and two different display port ones. Two different monitors also.

Either windows 10 or Linux Ubuntu cannot start when full graphics capabilities are used.

I have either to go through safe mode clean uninstall ddu and block hardware ID with gpedit.msc or I lose image after uefi bios and windows loading.

The same for Ubuntu, only safe graphics option works. Else black screen with constant trying to give signal with no results like normal windows booting.

I have tested thoroughly with software stress, cpu, memory and psu. Case is crystal clear. No dust, perfect cable management and temperature. I cannot understand what the hell is this bug.

Can I safely presume that gpu is borked by its own initiative? I cannot live with Microsoft basic display adapter driver. I declare myself innocent!

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I would transplant that GPU into another PC to test it, or at least another PCIe slot. It's possible something failed on the GPU, or the slot itself. Also, make sure there are no issues with the power connections.

itpro likes this.
  3. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    I would say its gone

I had a similair issue with a gpu a while back .. would boot and even play videos fine with the microsoft driver

soon as any actual driver release went on it would not display

itpro likes this.
  4. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    Maybe gpu died. I opened it, thermal paste was dried up and had occupied the rest of whole gpu socket , spread out everywhere. I don't understand what happened. I tested to a local shop, it does not work with driver loaded at any os plus after cleanup display port never worked anymore. The final nail to its coffin is that gpu demands suddenly only bios csm, it does not work under uefi. I'm like wtf! Resolution fell below FHD now.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021

5. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    Aw sucks man last thing you need at this moment in time with the gpu shortages

itpro likes this.
  6. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    I managed to find an rx580 under 200, because it is the 4gb version. What a degrade but I can live with it until situation gets normalized. Sad. :(

7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Definite sign of fail. RIP It cooked.

itpro likes this.