Weird GPU usage problem GTX 580 SLI 266.58 drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by negchampa, Jan 19, 2011.

1. negchampa

negchampa Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX580 SLI
    Hey all,
    I just installed my GTX 580's that I stepped up to form GTX 480 SLI.
    No problems with the install using the new 266.58 drivers. Issue I am having is with stability testing programs, in particular EVGA Scanner OC and FurMark (Multi-GPU). When I start the test both GPUs will go to 99-100% usage for a few seconds then one of the GPUs will go down to around 50% usage while the other stays at 99-100%. It does not seem to be any one GPU either, one test run, GPU0 will stay at 100% the next time GPU1 will stay at 100% and the other will settle at around 50%.

To make sure it was not my cards or setup I tested some games and they work perfectly. I use Metro2033 for example, as it seems to use the most GPU power, both cards will stay around 95 - 99% usage constantly. Other games work the same with both GPU's usgae being identical.

This problem only seems to be with stibility testing programs. Before I sent my GTX480s in for Step-up i was using the older 263.09 drivers and never had this problem.

Has anyone else encountered this problem with GTX 580 SLI ? I highly suspect this to be a driver bug.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The GTX580's will throttle down in Furmark to avoid damage.

3. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    ^^^this, you can disable the throttle if you have the latest version of GPU-Z (AT YOUR OWN RISK)

But i use OCCT to stress my gpu and check for stability :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  4. mikami

mikami Active Member

GPU:
    evga gtx 780 ti
    I had a similiar problem when I used msi's kombustor which is like furmark. Solution was to test in full screen not in windows so both gpus would stay at 99%