Weird colours Driver Video Amd

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by EyesBlue1988, Jun 25, 2019.

1. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Happens here with a Vega FE as well as my Fury-X under 1903.

Definitely not DDU at fault. Incidents aren't just limited to first-time driver installation, yet also happen randomly after monitor deep-sleep. Loaded color profile is lost (on my AMD cards only) if the display is power cycled, often on display timeout / blank, and occasionally on opening fullscreen games or mode-changes as well.

^ Cycling the display on and off {for a second time} resolves this as others have said in the thread ... forcefully re-applying a color-profile often does as well.

> 'GetDeviceGammaRamp' returns the loaded profile (no change) whenever the monitor's colors are reverted to stock or altered (blue, pink, green screen). [Something funky going on, not that the profile is changed from Windows' POV ]

Resetting the ramp resolves the issue, most color profile enforcers unfortunately read back the ramp before re-applying settings -- which as mentioned does not reflect the actually in-effect ramp. (thus preventing re-application of the color profile)

Might code a short term workaround to treat the cases (symptoms wise) where I know the color settings are lost, given this has existed for awhile now.. If I pop an NVidia card in the system, there are no problems and color profiles stay loaded correctly during mode-changes and display blanks.

While 1903 definitely did break something, this is AMD specific for sure. I expect most people not seeing the issue have their display timeout disabled, or a monitor that allows disabling deep-sleep. [e.g, if I use my CUK monitor (which has no ability to disable deep-sleep), then this is a big problem / happens daily. On my BenQ it never happens, unless I re-enable that feature]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    signex likes this.
  2. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I got this as well, restarting monitor works for me.

3. Tadeo

Tadeo Member

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 16GB
    Had the same on RX580 Gigabyte and LG29WK600 via DP. Turning off and on monitor worked for me. Yesterday I've installed new drivers 19.6.3 and seems to be fine so far.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The color issue happened once here when the GPU driver crashed and Windows decided to disable it and revert to the basic GPU instead.

[​IMG]

Looked a bit like that from the above image examples posted when I re-enabled the card, reboot and two days of testing and no issues with the hardware and it's the only issue I've seen with colors going all weird but then the OS had also disabled the card for being "damaged" or reporting damage or how the error message went which was probably from how the game crashed first, then the GPU driver and finally the WDDM causing the GPU driver to crash again. :D

There's a hotkey for this too and I'd imagine the CRU utility to restart the GPU driver might induce similar results as well though anything using GPU like say clients like Steam or UPlay or the web browser if hardware acceleration is in effect might alos go down if you force it in this way.
    ( Win+Ctrl+Shift+B )

Interesting info though, need to do some reading. :)
    (Crash itself was just Assassin's Creed 3 Remaster doing a oops so not a big thing as such but I am a bit curious on how this all works, might be different entirely but always interesting to learn more!)

AlleyViper likes this.

5. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    People seem to ignore this easiest fix for some reason. o_O

Most users on a single card will only get this issue after a driver installation were the driver has already been reinitialized multiple times (over the software that was already running), so there should be no extra harm in doing it one more time.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  6. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Gamers nexus also reports this problem with navi gpu in their latest video about 5700xt. This particular information is mentioned somewhere around 27th minute of this video:

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It still happens even with the latest one.

8. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    So none of you got the Display Port Link Failure bug when you wake your monitor from standby/sleep?

9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Everybody just try to install:

1. Drivers for Your Monitor
    2. ICC Profile colour
    3. Do not Touch Color Temp. leave at default (e.g. 6500K)
    4. Make good Use of CRU (set Your Monitor H & V accordingly)
    5. Enter once into Windows -> Display settings (no restart required)
    6. No more weird colors.

PS.
    After this i have no problems:
    19.5.2 and so on, now im on 19.7.1 WHQL

10. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    It's Windows Night Light in Windows 1903 (never happened before 1903), when I start up my PC when it's enabled this happens, turning Night Light off and on again fixes it.

A2Razor and Jackalito like this.

11. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Windows reports that Night Light is "disabled" for me, since I both had it disabled in the user settings and locked down administratively. I've tried removing the policy settings and also wiping out the active settings in registry.

e.g,
    $$windows.data.bluelightreduction.settings
    $$windows.data.bluelightreduction.bluelightreductionstate

Rebooted, cycled monitor several times, allowed display to enter deep sleep, flipped Night Light on and off a few times, rebooted a few more times. Still lose color profile on display cycle ... yet you're also probably right in all honesty.. This sounds pretty plausible given how many reports there are about the feature being buggy.

12. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    Hmm... That is odd, whenever I boot up my PC and Night Light is disabled, it's completely fine. That said, sometimes it boots up with Night Light enabled at times it should be disabled... They royally screwed up Night Light with 1903...

13. Jayson

Jayson Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    Is this issue fixed yet? I’ve been holding off on updating to 1903 until this issue is 100% solved. I don’t want work arounds, I don’t want the issue at all.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    test pin 20 with a continuity tester.

15. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    It's completely fixed on my 1903 rig (Vega FE) since 18362.267.
    -- I'm unable to reproduce the issue during driver installation, display mode change, monitor power cycle, clock changes, or anything else. This includes using older drivers such as 19.4.3 on Win10 1903, so it's not dependent on use of the 19.7.xx branch.

note: link assumes you've a 64bit system, you'd probably get this via WUA normally yet I've included that incase. You can check the version that you're running using "winver".

Perhaps some others can chime in to give some confidence that this is completely resolved.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019

16. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Yep, confirmed in 19.8.1 release notes

Jackalito likes this.
  17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Some system configurations may experience color corruption after install of Radeon Software when running Windows® 10 May 2019 update.

Issue is resolved in the latest Windows® Update 18362.267 (KB4505903)