1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird clock speeds with Go 7600

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by toadalone, Jun 10, 2008.

1. toadalone

toadalone New Member

GPU:
    nVidia Go 7600 256Mb
    Hi

I don't know if this is because RivaTuner doesn't work well with notebook/laptop adapters.

I've got a nVidia Go 7600; should be core clock 350MHz, memory speed 400MHz. The "overclocking" tab picks these values up OK (But sets the adjustment sliders so that these are the minima - only adjustment upwards is possible).

But on Hardware Monitoring, the values seem to step between various values:

a) Core clock:
    351 MHz (OK, as expected) for 20 secs; then
    199.8 MHz for 20 secs; then
    0 MHz - where it stays, for a few minutes

b) Memory clock
    398.25 MHz (OK, as expected) for 20 secs; then
    198.13 MHz for 20 secs; then
    0 MHz for a few minutes.

These are in step with each other.

1. Is some evil notebook ACPI thing I can't find switching the GPU "off" or to "half-power" mode? I've switched every power-management setting I can find to "don't switch things off/sod the battery, just give me Mips".

2. Or is this because Riva doesn't communicate well with mobile GPUs? If so, I'm a bit nervous to use it to OC this card. (It doesn't detect my GPU fan - though there definitely is one).

Sorry if these are complete newbie questions.

thanks

Seb

2. easperhe

easperhe Member

GPU:
    nVidia / GeForce 8200
    Seb,

As a fellow newbie, I saw something like this too, except that the clock's frequency never went to 0. I think (not 100% sure) what you're seeing is some power management software (PowerMizer or the driver) lowering clock frequency when it can to lower power. For someone new and not aware of power management software changing frequencies, this can be confusing.

What I did find after some google/forum searches was a way to prevent the clocks from changing. Under the Power User tab, set the following registry entry to 1:

RivaTuner\NVIDIA\Overclocking\EnablePerfLevelForcing

After you restart the computer, there will be an option under the overclocking tab "force constant performance level". Set this to the desired perf level (2D, low power 3D, or perf 3D).

Check out the FAQ about "performance table" under this FAQ question. This explains a lot.
    Q: Can you explain me specifics of dynamic separate 2D / 3D clock frequency adjustment on NV3x+ GPU families? Are the clocks dynamically adjusted by the GPU or by VGA BIOS?

3. toadalone

toadalone New Member

GPU:
    nVidia Go 7600 256Mb
    Thanks for that. I tracked it down. It was Powermizer (and it was somehow also deciding that the middle of a hectic Company of Heroes game was a really clever time to save power and downclock!).

Powermizer is misleading. It claims to only apply when you're on battery power - but on my machine at least, it kicks in (unless disabled - I disabled it through the nVidia control panel) even when connected to the mains.

WHere do I find this FAQ you refer to? I can't find it as a sticky, and the Riva FAQ at http://www.guru3d.com/category/rivatunerfaq/ doesn't mention the question you're pointing me to.

4. easperhe

easperhe Member

GPU:
    nVidia / GeForce 8200
    If you look in the "Doc" subdirectory in the RivaTuner area, you will see a "RivaTuner.chm" document. If you open that, you will see FAQ section.

5. toadalone

toadalone New Member

GPU:
    nVidia Go 7600 256Mb
    Thanks, that explains it.

I'm feeling unusually stupid today. Any chance you could have a look at my "can't save OC profiles" question? Riva seems to ignore my overclocking settings - which may be just that my card won't do it: but Riva doesn't say anything, just loses the settings and goes to factory.

6. easperhe

easperhe Member

GPU:
    nVidia / GeForce 8200
    I can't say what is happening with the OC profile issue. I tried this myself just now quickly and I see the same behavior as you. If you figure it out, please post the answer.

7. toadalone

toadalone New Member

GPU:
    nVidia Go 7600 256Mb
    The only thing I can think of is that the card just won't overclock through Riva. They do say explicitly that Riva may not work with laptop cards.

But it would be nice if Riva popped up a MsgBox "No can do, can't get your card to do this", rather than looking buggy.

Could be a driver issue, as Powerstrip does exactly the same for me. (I'm on nVidia 158.22)

Can anyone confirm what's happening here?