We whom must stoop to the level of buying used mining(allegedly) GPUs - what to avoid?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by cunningStunts, Oct 5, 2022.

1. cunningStunts

cunningStunts New Member

GPU:
    RTX2060 Super
    General kinda custie info is what I'm seeking. Is buying a used 3000 series now-the next month or so from the internets just a literal roll of the proverbial hard earned dice?

I haven't built a pc since my current rtx2060 was new, so I'm quite far from the current 'loop', and I feel like around right now is probs a very good time to get a good gaming rig for a decent price, if done intelligently.

Quick or in-depth answer or any info is appreciated, thanks everyone. <3<3<3

1. Are there red flags to watch for?
    2. Is sketchy craigslist and Ebay the only option?
    3. Founders editions or other brands? Did miners prefer one or the other?
    4. Is one variant more sketchy to buy than others for some reason? (ie, are 3080s more sketchy than 3090s, etc.?)
    5. Are there related posts that I couldn't find before posting this one that answer these questions?
    <3 thanks again <3

386SX likes this.
  2. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    1) Avoid GPU's for sale that don't have pictures of them in a desktop pc, avoid anything with the term "Bit" in it.
    2) There's also facebook market, buying refurbs from stores or if you know anyone that's planning on upgrading.
    3) It was a free-for-all, miners didn't discriminate.
    4) Just know your prices.
    5) Nfi.

GL HF :D

386SX and cunningStunts like this.
  3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Hi, when I saw my Msi 3080 SuprimX LHR on ebay the first thing i did was ask the seller if it had been used for mining and the reply was... it had been used from new for 3 months for light mining, next i checked the sellers feed back rating which was and still is 100%, I also checked for any feedback left for other gpu`s sold recently and there was one which was positive feedback for a ex miner, being a seller as well as a buyer on ebay Im well aware that Ebay will always favour the buyer regardless of any issues with a sale regardless of whether the buyers claims for a refund are waranted or not so with this knowledge I was happy to part with £780 for this beast, the only problem is...If i had waited 3 weeks i could have got one from the same seller for £650.

If an issue had acured I would have had no issue in getting a refund but should an issue arise in the near future... I still have a waranty with Msi to cover me, so if your looking at an ex miner....do your seller research first.

4 months on... my 3080 still runs runs flawless with no artifacting or glitching, the gpu core idles at 33c and the memory at 45c, under load the memory never goes above 85c and the gpu rarely goes past 65c in my Lian li mini case, shortly after buying this card i also got enough Gelid thermals pads to do a complete overhaul of the gpu but...the pads are still in there packets incase i feel the need to drecrease the temps of my 3080.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    cunningStunts and OnnA like this.
  4. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    "Memory interface: xxx bit"

Seems I have to avoid all GPUs from now on. :D :p

Up to what point you guys would consider a mining GPU suitable for gaming purposes? Is there any proven unhealthy effect on a GPU after X hours of mining use or when using software Y to mine whatever coin?
    The continous load may lead to components living shorter, but the same could be true for heavy benchmarking, OC or continous rendering work. And nobody yet talked about that, but only damages through mining.

Some friends and I formed a group to hunt down cheap GPUs, as we want to hop on the RTX waggon. Currently we agreed mining GPUs are OK to consider buying if the GPU was used less than 6 months, proven by proof of purchase (invoice). Is that a good rule of thumb or should we consider raising that to 1 year or lowering it to 3 months to be safe? What do you guys think about that?

Spets and southamptonfc like this.

5. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    light mining lol

If you buy a 3080 or above right now, it has almost certainly been used for mining. The seller almost certainly wont disclose it has been used for mining.

Nobody really knows how much of a toll mining takes on a GPU. iirc, it thrashes the memory more than the GPU, which is often the opposite of gaming. Are you planning to use the GPU for 10 years, 5 years, 2 years? Everyone's situation will be a bit different.

The market sets the price, you have thousands of people making this decision every day and that sets the going price. It's a take it or leave it decision for every individual.

I think you're doing the best you can buy checking how old the card is. The market probably doesn't discriminate too much on that so a newer card is better value.

cunningStunts likes this.
  6. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Intel ARC A770
    I ran into this video don't want to scare you but use full to watch

cunningStunts likes this.
  7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    Graphics card manufacturers, at least some of them, have stated that they may reject a warranty repair/replacement if they judge the card has been damaged due to mining. A quick googling revealed some individuals have actually experienced this.

Last summer I was eyeing a 3070 card, bought only three months earlier by the seller (with purchase receipt available), because I judged 3 months might be a short enough time to have kept the card in a good shape. In the end I didn't go for it before someone else did. I suppose one problem is that a miner could flash a custom bios that may ruin the memory way faster than normal. I don't know if that happens, but it's hard for me to ignore the possibility, especially if the warranty turns out to be voided.

8. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    They may work fine, or they may not, who knows how long. Even former mining cards may work fine for years, but you never know.
    If it's cheap enough and you have warranty and/or buyer protection available, it may be worth it.

That said, I would avoid the 3090 (non-Ti) as the VRAM on the back of the card gets toasty as it is without active cooling (and miners most likely don't have that on their sandwiched farm cards) and having been abused by mining 24/7 which mostly taxes the VRAM certainly doesn't help.

southamptonfc likes this.
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This was caused by a card defect, not the mining specifically.

looks like an evga 1070 prior to using actually decent power components.

10. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Not sure if this is too helpful but back when I bought my 7950 HD sapphire I wasn't sure if it was used for mining. I checked how much memory OC it could take, with and without a modest increase in voltage. It barely got past the +40 MHz on memory. I compared that to some similar results on some benchmark websites. Most people got 150-250 MHz with the same voltage increase.

3 months later and the gpu was artifacting and died.

Mining beats the piss out of the memory on the card, altough this wont help you much beforehand it might give you a vague indicator of remaining lifespan.

386SX likes this.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Indeed. Most of these mining cards have issues with memory and require memory downclock to be stable at all. Definitely check out/test the graphics card before buying.

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    Always check if it can do +500-700MHz on memory ;)
    If Yes then it's fine by my standards.

Mining GPU not always = Bad GPU...
    If it was take with care then it will last for very long time.

cunningStunts and 386SX like this.
  13. cunningStunts

cunningStunts New Member

GPU:
    RTX2060 Super
    Thank you EVERYONE who has thus far contributed, everything here is useful. I don't mind being the face of a typical dumb forum noob if it gets this much info out to the plethora of people bound to have the same questions I do right now.

YOU ARE ALL GLORIOUS, THANK YOU

southamptonfc and OnnA like this.
  14. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Unless I decide to upgrade my monitor to a higher than 60hz refresh rate in the next 2 years...which I see no need to do...I will probably stick with my 3080 SuprimX for the next couple of years as this is enough for 4k 60hz gaming in the division2...Days gone and a few other get i play when i get time, a lot depends on what the 4070 perform like and how they are priced, not too mention psu requirement... if the 4070 needs a psu upgrade then again i`ll stick with what i have.

15. Espionage724

Espionage724 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6600 XT
    That seems restrictive; I sell GPUs with pictures of it outside the PC, and usually pack it up after the pictures.

I'd say it's all about presentation. If the description has a lot of info about how the GPU was used, condition, details, and pictures with close-shots of parts of the GPU, it's likely fine on the assumption that most people selling known-junk aren't going to go through that effort.

Spets likes this.

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 3070
    "You see no need to???" That s a big assumption, i don t think there s anything better created in the world of gaming than 144hrz monitors, it s even better than getting a new gpu. u ll be surprised how much the difference is btw that and a 120hrz 4k lg oled.