We need to talk about UE4 Shader compilation issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by snight01, Mar 12, 2022.

1. jesped

jesped Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
  2. Jobert

Jobert Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 ti
    Yeah I was just coming here to post that. It is sad they are just now attempting to fix that issue and they don't even care about all the other stutter issues that many if not most of the UE4 games have and even plenty of UE3 games for that matter. The only thing more frustrating than the stuttering itself is having to deal with morons that say they have no problems on their pc. Even digital foundry said they are tired of seeing stupid comments like that.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    fatezeroart, enkoo1, Terepin and 2 others like this.
  3. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Yeah, that surprised me, Alex and John called out on that BS, they also said since it's measurable, you can't deny it, you can use a tool to measure this. They pretty much called people who say that "idiots". And they are right about it, like imagine the devs actually trying to fix this because a lot of people experience the issue, the morons who say "no issues on my end" could ruin that or make the devs wonder who really has the problem, for a lot of people, sadly, it goes like "if i can't see it, it's not there" living on their little bubble, some even get mad when you question them and you ask them to actually prove that, like a few on this forum.

Also, yes, forget about UE4 games that suffer from this issue to be ever fixed, they don't care and most devs that made games on this engine without shader pre-compile are clueless on how to even do this to fix this "pandemic" on PC games on UE4. Also Epic won't launch patches for hundreds of games to make them better.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    Jobert likes this.
  4. BmB23

BmB23 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    Even if UE 5.1 fixes it, that still leaves years worth of unfixed games that are long out of support and will not get patched. They need to create a generic solution that can be used with most UE4 games from the users side.

5. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Some time ago I was trying out The Ascent on Gamepass. But it had constant stutters and hitching. Even after setting up some tweaks in the engine.ini
    Some of these stutters were from shader compilation, but others were from asset streaming, because I got stutters in areas I had already been and shaders had already been cached.
    Eventually I gave up and uninstalled the game.

Some time latter, I bought Humble Choice, which had The Ascent for Steam.
    So I decided to try it out, to see if it also had stutters. I also applied the same engine.ini tweaks. I also reinstalled nvidia drivers, so shaders had to be recompiled.
    To my surprise, the game runs much better on Steam. There are still the occasional stutters, when entering a new area. But compared to the Gamepass version, is so much smoother and fun to play.

6. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    "User" fixes are not worth the effort, as very few people would ever actually use that. Maybe those that read this thread would, but your average gamer? Nah.
    It might also be a bigger internal redesign that is impossible to just change externally.

They could (and maybe should) offer the fix for UE4, but it would still be up to the game developers to actually pull it in then, and as we all know, chances of that are not great.

Smough likes this.
  7. L1ONH3ART

L1ONH3ART Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070 / 8gb
    Noticed you have r.Streaming.PoolSize=10000 on your settings. Is that not supposed to be limited to max GPU VRAM (I'm assuming from your sig the settings are for your RTX 2070 Super 8gb) ?

8. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    It doesn't force to use 10000MB. It allows.
    After I posted those settings, I started using "0"
    This sets the pool to unlimited.

Also, you can play with this other setting.
    r.Streaming.LimitPoolSizeToVRAM
    "1" forces only on vram. Can work very well in games that don't use that much vram. O with gpus that have a ton of vram, like a 3090.
    But in some games it can cause huge performance loss, if there is not enough vram.
    "0" means it uses ram and vram.

Another setting is
    r.Streaming.HLODStrategy
    This sets how texture streaming works
    "0" means it can stream all mips
    "1" means it only streams level 1 mips
    "2" means it streams no mips. This forces to place all textures to ram and vram.

Some games work better with settings one way, or another.

9. BmB23

BmB23 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    They could work with Nvidia and AMD, or Microsoft to create driver or compatibility shims that apply automatically to affected games.

10. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    how about occasional stutters/hitches from assets streaming when entering new area, does this issue will be fixed with developer side or engine ??

11. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I think mostly developer. At least the D3D12 renderer already seems to have lower stutter-causing streaming overhead vs. D3D11.

Susahamat likes this.
  12. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    thanks i get it, this is why psychonauts 2 less hitches on dx12

13. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah right.. What about The Medium? I still remember those single-digits pauses/stutters, lol.

The Ascent had some of those too. Let's see what they will do from now on.

14. BmB23

BmB23 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    Seems Scorn is another stutter-fest.

15. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I got almost no stutter with Scorn.
    Though frame pacing is bad, probably because of being an app from Windows Store.

tunejunky likes this.

16. BmB23

BmB23 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    Odd, I've got it on game pass, and for me the frame pacing is fine, RTSS frame limiter is almost perfect with this one but there's just a bunch of hitches everywhere.

Smough likes this.
  17. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Classic UE4 hitching. No one can fix this crap engine lmao.

18. jesped

jesped Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    You have "almost no stutter" when entering new areas and the shaders cache kicks in?

Because *everybody* does. Not even using DXVK and adding the usual

[SystemSettings]
    r.CreateShadersOnLoad=1
    r.Shaders.Optimize=1

to engine.ini works in Scorn.

Imperialegacy19, Jobert and Smough like this.
  19. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    Scorn suffers from shader stuttering AND judder from the poor framepacing when using Vsync.

The shader stutter goes away after a while, as usual. The judder can be removing by capping framerate by 1 fps beneath refresh rate.

tunejunky likes this.
  20. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    This is the tweaks I'm using:

tunejunky and jesped like this.