we could live for centuries...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by masterchiefx2, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Time travel isn't possible. You can only "simulate" time travel in theory by accelerating an object or person to the speed of light. As you know, the faster you travel, the slower time passes for objects outside of your field of motion. It's impossible to travel backwards in time... essentially it isn't time travel at all, it's just Physics.

masterchiefx2: You mean infinite energy right? ;) The object travelling at the speed of light would approach infinite mass.

2. d1fferent

d1fferent Maha Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Use a robot to control the ship. !

3. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    yeh lol

well i watched the Universe season 1 almost done season 2 and got season 3 and its really interesting and useful to teach people like me who are crap at maths lol and have loow attetnion span. Cool animations always works lol.

4. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    haha yeh, i hate those "examples" that they do on that program..

They say something like " an asteroid hitting another asteroid would shatter it into pieces of increasingly smaller size. "

Then they get a guy with a gun to shoot a rock thats supposed to be an asteroid and then show you how it shatters... Do they think you're that stupid that you cant interpret what the hell they're actually saying without showing you "picturez lol"

If anything, it's degrading.

5. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    I can already hear the pissing and moaning "why doesn't holywood ever do anything new".

Michael bay will be directing all video game adaptations for the next half a millennium.

6. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    lol caters for the masses who understand little

if ratings fall introduce a gun

7. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I do, as long as I can be in reasonably good physical, mental, and psychological condition. The longer the better, to a point anyway. Life is too precious to turn down more of it, it's all i've got

But by all means, die. I wouldn't want you to continue living on my account

8. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    yes the only issue is going mental lol

9. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    No, you CAN turn iron into gold, maybe not you in particular, but it can be done.

Accelerating to faster than the speed of light, however, isn't just infeasible, it's a genuine impossibility, for many reasons, most of them mathematical. These are the main ones:

As you get closer and closer to the speed of light, your mass increases (relative to "stationary" observers), distances become shorter (according to you), and time passes more slowly (according to said observers).

Once you reached the speed of light, you would have infinite mass, and the entire universe would be a point (as in a mathematical point with 0 dimensions, no distance or time). Also it would require infinite force to propel you to a state of infinite mass, meaning no force will ever be enough. So you see the problem.

However, because of those very phenomena (length contraction and time dilation, that is) that were determined in einstein's theory of special relativity, in theory we will be able to travel to other planets, even ones millions of light years away, because as you approach the speed of light distances become shorter and shorter (once again this is from your perspective, from the perspective of a "stationary" observer, the distances are normal, time is just passing slowly for you), so in theory there is no limit to how far we can travel in a given amount of time provided we go a sufficient fraction of the speed of light.

This is the part that is infeasible right now but not impossible - as we develop more powerful means of propulsion, interplanetary/interstellar/intergalactic (though for all intents and purposes intergalactic travel isn't even really worth considering) space travel can become a reality

10. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Well, not to be nit-picky, but that's not quite right - you would gain infinite mass by going 100% the speed of light, 99.9% or larger percentages of the speed of light are pretty much essential to get to any other solar systems in any reasonable amount of time. To get some idea, the lorentz factor (the factor by which distance will be contracted/time will be dilated, depending on whether you are the one doing the traveling or a "stationary" observer) while moving at 99% the speed of light is 10, meaning you could go 10 times the distance you would travel according to newtonian physics going that speed, whereas if you are going 99.9%c, the lorentz factor is 31.6, and if you go 99.999999 (8 digits), it is 10000, etc.

11. d1fferent

d1fferent Maha Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    This thread has gone from living for centuries to how hings have evolved to time travel to the speed of light, it is a very controversial thread, but cans ee there is a lot of interest surrounding these topic and I would love one definitive answer

12. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    We will all be assimilated! Resistance will indeed be futile. :D

Light speed travel will effectively be a one way trip. Time dilation occurs and by the time you get back, there may not even be an Earth left.

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    If we lived longer AND there was population control....then we run into the problem of social, technological...etc, evolutions.
    We need young people to grow up with fresh ideas and to eventually take control, like be CEO's of companies, be in Congress...etc. We would be too set in our ways of thinking to overcome anything and most important, the old people who are in control of anything will remain there dead set in their views and perspectives and resistant to change for that much longer

I met a 90'ish year old man once who though the telephone was stupid as well as internet, tv..etc. seemed to me he lived a life without alot of those things and unable to see why things would need to be any different now, i'm thankful guys like him wont be around in another 100+ years cause his way of thinking is outdated, he just wants to live in the "simpler" times and i dont blame him but we need progress to survive as a species.

14. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Well it's a fairly logical step, I mean if we can live forever then population control and boredom are the first things that come to mind - the earth would become a pretty awful place with people stuck here living for centuries.

Also I don't know what question you want a definitive answer to, I can try and explain relativity a bit better but I don't really know what you people mean by time travel - as of now there is absolutely no foreseeable way to go "backward" in time, and what would it mean exactly to go backward in time anyway? Think about all the problems with that idea, for instance if somehow you managed to get yourself (meaning your body and mind, with all of your present memories) to a previous point in time, you would have had to already be there when that time came about before, otherwise that implies that there is some broader sense of time in which you time can pass once "before" it passes again (when you travel to it), which doesn't make any sense, and also if you could go where you hadn't been before then that means you can change things, so what if say you did something that affected your past self (but that time period's future you) in some way that made it so they didn't ever go back in time, which means you didn't go back in time to change that, which means it wasn't changed, which means you would go back in time, which means you could change it, which means you didn't go back in time, which means you didn't change it, etc.

And if it doesn't work like that and everything has already happened, then you aren't really traveling in time at all because you were already there at the time in the first place, so it seems like too problematic a concept to think about unless/until some breakthrough gets made and we discover/learn something completely new about time/the universe.

As for delaying/reversing the ageing process, that is highly possible and even probable, it's not nearly as crazy or futuristic as say interstellar travel, though from what little I had heard about it I was under the impression that to achieve such long lifespans would require genetic work done while as a developing zygote/embryo/fetus, but it seems according to this it will be possible even for those of us already born, which is great news as far as I'm concerned

15. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Some day we may be able to use Quantum Tunneling to bridge the gap of astronomical spans of distance. But really, I don't see it happening for a loooooooooooooong time. Black hole singularities and possible wormholes sounds to risky.

Just had to add that. Sorry folks.

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    what was that movie where people had a cap on how long they were allowed to live? maybe a 100 year cap. we could use the technology to be rid of the effects of ageing, getting old would no longer be a living hell that it is for some. i'm only 33 and already i have problems with pain. screw this, gimme the teenager pill.

17. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    who says this would be for the average joe if they did get it to work

18. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    supersoliders? i mean what supersoldiers

yeh rich people only probably if so kill them...

19. ilcmuchas

ilcmuchas Active Member

GPU:
    The singularity is NEAR!!!!

In my opinion anyone ages 1-50 is going to witness the total upheaval of normal society as we know it.

All arrows point towards it.

If your not familiar, I suggest you start educating yourself. Google and Nasa (yes, the two big players) just founded the "singularity university" to prepare for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

Technocalyps 3 part 3 hour documentary on it:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7141762977713668208#
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2258529707984107504#
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8945702810854373085#

Edit: If your familiar with Moore's law, then you can start to see the reality that singulairty presents.

EDUCATE YOURSELF

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009