WCCFtech Steals and Plagiarizes Star Wars article from Guru3D.com

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lantian

lantian Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4gb
    I'm with Hilbert on this one, but then again it's wccftech, they have the bar set so low, that it seems to be all they are doing lately, not to mention in many cases they get the whole facts wrong

2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    I'm pretty sure such blatant copy-paste sites are run by two digit IQ amateurs, makes dealing with them all the more headache inducing...

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Interesting post. I'm surprised you don't realise yourself, they have not fulfilled any of the last points that would make it fair use, and not just plagiarising. I suggest you read your own post and start crying. :rolleyes:

Btw, I think you should go with Noisiv's method and apply to them, unless they bring you a shrubbery. A nice one, though.

4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Yeah, good point, they should just post the link, and then underneath just add their own take or opinions on the topic under discussion.

5. spex_2

spex_2 Member

GPU:
    a
    well wccf did answer, and it made me think.

can`t post the link here, caus guru3d censors it automatically, i hope i don`t get a ban, or a post deletion because i mention this.

http://*************/official-reply-guru3d-allegations/

"Hilbert has actually very ‘professionally’ poached tons and tons of our articles – without as much as a courtesy of a link back (something we have always given and more). Infact, in just 5 minutes of random searching, I was able to find the following infractions, I am sure if you compare Guru3D and WCCFTech articles over the years, it will very clearly show you which site copies which."

6. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Um yeah ok, whatever. He does link it back to the source. Just click the source button under the title, dummy. But then again they're probably too lazy to actually follow the frontpage to the article WHERE HEW DOES LINK THE SOURCE. wccftech can just shut up.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  7. spex_2

spex_2 Member

GPU:
    a
    so did wccf i guess :/

both sides did the same thing multiple times, over time.
    settle your dispute guys, shake hands und don't shatter
    any more glass.

8. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    wccftech ONLY linked the most recent one after Hilbert complained. Pretty much anything and everything he had posted from them and others have sources. You just need to follow the breadcrumbs to where the article is actually posted. Don't just look on the front page as it's NOT linked there.

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Well after reading that, problem solved.

We wish Guru3D the very best of luck for all their future endeavors and even though we will now refrain from using any of their content in any capacity whatsoever; we will continue reading (and loving) future articles from them, provided of course, they weren’t originally posted here.

Oh and glad they now at least admit that they are 'using' our content. Again you guys, it's the web. If somebody uses a chunk of text and a benchmark or two, hey I have no problem with that. But they simply took and used everything.

I might as well work for two days, create the benchmarks and screenshots and then send it to them directly.

10. spex_2

spex_2 Member

GPU:
    a
    well ok ok ok, you may all rage on about this, no problem.

i grab some popcorn and watch the show.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I did always call them wtftech, anyway.
    @spex_2: It looks like it got you thinking, but it looks like not hard enough.
    1st case:
    Image names are supposedly same?
    WTF image name: amd-radeon-fiji-gemini-tobermory-635×95.jpg
    HH's image name: amd-radeon-r9-fury-x2-dual-fiji-gpu-graphics-card.jpg

Article text copied?
    Does this looks like WTF writing style or HH's?
    WTFTECH is all over place with "tobermory" naming. HH does not mention it anywhere btw.

And to be clear, image of dual fiji came from day Regular fiji got unveiled. And that makes it quite old. Who took it? I do not know, but I saw it 1st time after presentation on vcz site. And anyone could have taken snapshot from YT recording.
    - - -
    TLDR? Articles based on same facts/rumors/leaks are going to look similarly, but for sure, HH is not doing copy paste.

We have here parts of WTFTECH articles in news sections, pasted by our members with proper sourcing as far as our forums allows.
    I personally prefer not to have them here, since they are of poor value and increasing visibility of site which is mostly visited by 'internet warriors' as can be seen in their comment section.

12. tahirahmed

tahirahmed Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 4GB
    Hey Hilbert,

How about you answer some of their accusations as well and the favor they did to you on that NDA thing ? You did called them colleague website back there right ? because it's pretty hypocrite of you if you accused them after doing the same thing to their content as well.

13. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Go ahead. You just haven't bothered to even see how this website is structured. Hilbert sources everything (even when G3D is the source) its just not on the front page. It's usually in the articles section(s), which is where the breadcrumbs lead when you click the link on the frontpage to read what the article says.

14. db87

db87 Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 1070 @ 2025
    I just got blocked at WCCFtech, this is the post I made:

""Guru3D is right. It's inaproriate to completly copy a review. Appropiate thing to do is writing a news article about it with one graph and link to Guru3d.com for the rest of their review.

WCCF has a lot of news scooping, Guru3d does indeed make news articles about it but they name the scource and the content is rewritten, not copied. This is a common practise on tech websites.

WCCF be mature and apologize to Guru3d.

Side note: If you take pictures from somewhere don't put your own logo on those pictures, you are not the owner. While not illegal it's inappropriate. Giving your own WCCF pictures a logo for copyright reasons is perfectly fine."

Childish censorship over there. My advise, sue them. Otherwise they probably won't learn.

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I'll answer that for you. I think it was the 295x2 review ... ? There was an exploit in the image view function, one site used the exploit and took benchmark chart, then wtfftech took that benchmark chart and posted an article on it, again our content and findings were posted, and even worse that was an NDA item.

At the time I asked them politely to take it down, while they in the end they did remove the copied 'screenshot' benchmark, they simply re-posted all results and numbers in their article. So they never took that down the actual benchmark results, despite what their reply is showing. Basically at that point I did figure, why respect their content if they don't respect ours ?

Again you may agree or disagree. I honestly do not care if a website uses a bit of our content, but copying entire benchmark sessions and all screenshots. It's a bridge too far.

But I am glad they now have promised in a statement they won't use our content again.

16. tahirahmed

tahirahmed Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 4GB
    Alright, thanks for the clarification. I guess you're right that by copying the screenshots they just stole the entire benchmark. I hope you guys settle this down peacefully without further damage to each other.

and sorry for the harsh remarks.

17. Cococabana

Cococabana New Member

GPU:
    GTX 580
    WCCFTech's reply

WCCFTech has replied to this post wccftech (dot) com/official-reply-guru3d-allegations/

Lets see if the professional Mr Hilbert deletes this comment.

18. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    WCCFTech have original content to be ripped off? This has already been addressed, taking a small amount of data and referencing it is fine. Taking an entire article is not, end of story.

Every time HH has done this (used a small amount of data), he has included a reference in the article.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Only reading the comments below the wccf post as an answer to Hilbert makes me happy I'm not posting there. There's people that shouldn't exist.

20. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Also, a benchmark article like this is an ORIGINAL work. WCCF talking about some rumor that then gets posted on other sites, is not an original work... like when FOX NEWS reports that CNN is reporting some breaking news.

You can repeat what the other is reporting about some story since that story isn't theirs to begin with, but you can't just rip an original work (like all the benchmark images).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.