Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Lol, you are right, but you get the point : P

3. GiveMe

GiveMe Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Trinity OC
    i doubt it, the best Devs in the World working at nvidia and they do not understand it?
    is not like "i know some Basics" - "Welcome to the nvidia dev team"

the nvidia code is very complex and only Aliens are allowed to touch it

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    There can be undocumented adverse effects with older complex hardware that strange code deals with. Its not always obvious what problems occurred and how they could be handled.
    Unless you know everything the code was created to cope with, the ability to understand it is limited.
    This makes it difficult to change it or write effective new code without the wealth of experience that went into writing the original.
    A lot is not as straight forward as you might think, its not about ability, its about how much time needs to be invested to make it worthwhile to make the changes.
    And whether the chance of producing a good enough result is possible within a time frame.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    mbk1969 likes this.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Mufflore

The mention of "Aliens" makes me think GiveMe was not serious.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I think he is.
    His end statement, while amusing, takes a direct dig at NVidia that follows the earlier comments.
    ie he doesnt feel they have the knowledge to deal with this or are barred from touching sacred code.

Smough likes this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Probably about as hard as it is for you to comprehend theres no evidence of its use on Windows

8. klunka

klunka Active Member

GPU:
    1080ti / 11gb
    There is no use for the command or no use removing it? And is it hard to remove because I'm dumb, or easy to remove because I'm not? Please be more clear in your insults.

9. artina90

artina90 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    He means that its use is documented only in the Linux driver.
    Currently there is no source mentioning that it is being used in the Windows driver.

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com...struction-causes-huge-latency-spikes/31643/11

"most Linux 2.6 kernels' implementations of the global_flush_tlb() interface fail to flush caches on all or some CPUs, for a variety of reasons."
    "Due to the above, the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver is forced to perform heavy-weight flush/invalidation operations to avoid problems due to stale cache lines and/or TLB entries."

klunka likes this.
  10. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    I think than in 561.45 MB of drivers there is more than a few line of bloatware old or useless code XD

11. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    If you want to know the size of the actual drivers, look at the kernel- and user space modules size in file system.
    Pretty dull discussion, tbqh. It would be much more interesting if somebody professionally analyzed why especially the Nvidia D3D12 driver sometimes has relatively slow CPU performance. E.g. I noticed that CPU bound performance in SotTRS regressed even further with Turing vs. Pascal, Polaris is ~15-20% faster. The Linux Vulkan port runs fast on Turing too when CPU bound. Though it has GPU bound performance penalty in return, which is again not the case on AMD GPUs...

enkoo1 likes this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    half the size is GFE

the other half excluding all other software drivers that aren't necessarily installed, is the shader recompilers that the driver includes.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  13. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    I'm aware of this. My sentence wasn't so serious
    But the core it's true... there is surely some bloatware or old code inside the package