Way passed time to redo system

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by airtaz, Aug 14, 2008.

1. airtaz

airtaz New Member

GPU:
    HD 5770
    I seen a request for advice for a new system that was "moved" here, so I'll go ahead and start mine here as well. :)

My system:

AMD 3000+
    7600gt
    2 gig ram
    Epox 9npa+ultra board

Yes. Extremely old. I have never purchased an out of box system. I would like to keep with that and build my own. It's been so long, reading all these reviews are terribly confusing now. PC gaming. That's what it's about for me. I do the occasional photoshop as well. Currently I'm playing AoC getting anywhere from 5-30's fps. Sometimes higher depending on surroundings. I would love to play the game at a consistent 40+ fps.

I was initially going to just upgrade the cpu to w/e and the vid card to at least an 8800gt. However, there are just so freaking many of them...even from the same company, I'm lost. So with just considering to rebuild the entire thing, my options have skyrocketed.

I used to prefer only AMD configs, however alot of reviews are stating the "other" brand is out performing in video games.

I hope to get some good advice from you all. I'll check back later.

Thanks.

airtaz

I noticed I didn't put a price range. The cheaper the better. 500-800 would be my preference. I will use all my drives, case, monitor and things like that.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    The "Moved:" in front of a thread tile means that the thread was in the wrong section and moved out of the present section into the correct/better suiting one. ;)

Just like yours. Sorry. General hardware (upgrade) questions belong into the hardware section. ;)

3. airtaz

airtaz New Member

GPU:
    HD 5770
    Yeah figured that after I noticed this one was moved too. :) No probs.

4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    meh well scrap the AMD set-up as they are crap compaired to the intel cpus now even though i dont like it .................its true anyways what kind of budget do you have ?

this would be a good gaming system

CPU - Intel E8400

GPU - 4850/4870 are the best gpus for your money (and im a nvidia fanboy ;))

MOBO - Asus P5E3

RAM - Corsair,Geil,G.skill,OZ @ 800Mhz (2x2GB)

HDD - whatever realy 500GB Seagate barracuda or Samsung Spinpoint F1 would be good

OS - Windows Vista HP 64bit

CASE - well something with good cooling antec p180 or 900 would be nice

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008

5. airtaz

airtaz New Member

GPU:
    HD 5770
    I started to look up some of the items you suggested. I started with the motherboard. Newegg has 6 different ones with "Asus P5E3". This seems to be my problem, finding the same type of boards or cards with the same main specs in several different products.

6. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD