Wattman 18.7.1 not applying correctly

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by bernek, Jul 28, 2018.

1. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    Hi guys,

Maybe there are quite a few threads (dead or not) about this Wattman from Adrenalin but I decided to start a new one to ask you if you have any fixes for it ...

Wattman doesn't want to apply voltage settings for RX580 all the time. Sometimes it does after a restart sometimes it doesn't ... sometimes it changes them according to no reason and so on ...

Things I've tried:

- completely reinstalled W10 Pro from scratch
    - installed the latest Adrenalin drivers nothing else !

It still acts weird and I can honestly say I hate it ...

I've tried to play with all the settings inside it and (like I've read on amd forums) to tweak the maximum power at last ... I've saved and applied and played with the settings for hours but I can't find a way to make sure it's working all the time.

Please try to help if you've encountered same issues !

Thanks.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Since you didn't mention it is fast boot or fast startup on in the power saving options?

It changes it to where a shutdown basically stores the PC state into RAM via hibernation and hiberfile.sys for as much data as possible up to X amount of system RAM total.

This breaks Wattman and it doesn't restore correctly instead thinking the system crashed and it defaults the settings for overclocking. (Reboot behaves as usual, shutdown and it behaves as hibernation.)

You need to open up the control panel and go to the options there and there should be some side menu option for adjusting settings not currently available and a UAC prompt if enabled and then a checkbox for fast boot or fast start up so if that's enabled you can just untick it.

If hibernation has been disabled however this should be grayed out and won't apply. (Relies on hibernation being enabled for it to work.)

If that doesn't work then it could be another driver quirk and you might want to try a older driver, 18.5.1 seems to be recommended due to a couple of known issues with 18.6.1 and 18.7.1 even if 18.7.1 is a good driver overall but not without some issues.

EDIT: Although if it does change on a restart then it's probably not this either, fast boot should only affect a full power off and power on cycle. Not a reboot.

So then it's possibly a driver quirk and either a downgrade or having to re-check and possibly reload the Wattman profile if it changes which well unless you need one of the fixes in 18.6.1 or 18.7.1 it's probably more convenient to try a earlier driver and see if the issue is gone. :)
    (And then the waiting game for AMD to fix the thing in a newer set, reporting it helps but there's no feedback or reply so you won't usually know if it's acknowledged until it goes away in a newer driver release and it might not even be part of the release notes.)

3. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    I will try right now to disable fast boot and fast startup to see if it works. If I shutdown computer I loose voltage settings according to my humble understanding that means Wattman settings are saved in hyberfil.sys ? and that gets deleted when system shuts down ? and Wattman think system crashed and restores default ?

I'm a bit mental challenged today please try to understand me...

This is what I have now:

https://s8.**********/eozfawxtx/current.png

L.E. I disabled fastboot (as you said) and now it seems to be working trough shutdowns also ... I just have to check a few times :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  4. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    It works trough shutdown now but "Sleep" totally kills the settings ...

Tried to disable "hybrid sleep" but same issue ... guess I have to live with no "Sleep" function and with no "Fast Startup" and no "Hibernate" - this also kills the settings.

I feel like going back in time ... slow bootup and no sleep :) Only "Restart" and "Shutdown" in my power menu :D

Is there a way to edit the bios of this card ? XFX RX580 GTS Black Edition ... I want to lower the voltages from 1150 to 1100...

I found 2 versions of Polaris Bios Editor but I'm not sure about the values that I've circled in red:

https://s8.**********/tfysmk45x/bios_editors.png

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018

5. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    Anyone knows if MSI Afterburner voltage control works in all P states of the card ? I see only one slider does it lower or increase the amount set all over the voltage range (from different P states) ???

I might want to give it a try again with Aferburner. I ask this because I've got instability using -50 mV with Afterburner because on lower p state (3 or 4) has higher voltage than the rest maybe because of the impact it has from the low p state before it ...