1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water proof electronics?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Anubis, May 16, 2009.

1. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Hey!

Today I've experienced a shock of my life, when my 1.5 yo tested if my N-95 8gb can swim in a bowl full of water... Well it can't..
    Took the phone appart and cleaned it as good as I could, and now it's drying.

Anyways, I've looked arround the web and ran over an "silicone conformal coating" which can be sprayed on electric components, i.e. circuit boards to protect them againt humidity, moisture, static discharge etc..
    Something like this basicaly: http://www.marvac.com/detail.aspx?ID=22231

So is this a waste of money or can it be idd usefull to protect let's say your phone's circuit board, maybe even the motherboard in the comp and so on..

edit: some more detail on it
    http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/422a.html?PHPSESSID=2fb9dc6bb0f24cfe283400b811f81b02

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  2. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    For your application its a waste of money.

I wouldnt try it on a phone, prolly the electronics there are already within a tight thermal envelope and adding the spray may force it to operate out of temperature.

I know people which have waterproofed circuits for boats and it generally requires application specific electronics.

3. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Well waste of money.. 340grams cost rougly 20$.. so if there's atleast any truth in it and it can help to protect (not fully save, cause I think that's impossible) then I guess it's worth it..
    Better throw out 20$ for this stuff, then 500$ for a new phone lol..
    The thermal stuff could be idd another thing to think about.

4. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    That may help against a few sprinkles of water, however it won't save it if you submerse the item.

eta: Maybe try a waterproof cell phone case? Toss a lock on and your kid won't screw it up.

Last edited: May 16, 2009

5. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Well actually I don't blame him cause it was my fault aswell..
    Should have thought before that It's not wise to place the phone 10cm away from a bowl with water, when the lil one is playing like on berserk.

6. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC
    I'm not sure about the stuff you can buy, but I know that it is possible to completely waterproof a PCB. I have an electric RC car with a completely waterproof speed controller (essentially throttles the motor's current). It's pretty complex too, it's completely programmable and you can upgrade the firmware, so it's not some simple analogue thing. They're coated from the factory with some sort of silicone and although I've never driven with it underwater just to be safe, I've seen videos of it running completely submersed in water.

So it does work, but I'm not sure how well it would work in a phone.

7. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    Ok think about this.... I've had beer spilled on my Xone 92 ($1400 piece of equipment). Now even know though it's build tough I would still pay extra to protect it and such. Nothing happened to the mixer but for a phone I don't think it's worth it.

8. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    WD40 the whole curcuit board asap then leave it to dry otherwise the contacts corode badly after a few weeks.