Water Cooling Systems For A CPU, Is It Safe?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by blesner, Sep 14, 2012.

1. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    [FONT=&quot]Hi

I have never used water cooling and when I did consider it 3 years ago, I was advised not to due to potential accidental leakage(One drop could apparently fck up my entire rig), hard installation etc.

My Questions

1. How safe is water cooling today?

2. Maintenance?

2. Is it over-rated/a big difference to an aftermarket air cooler?

3. What brand or model would you suggest?
    I have been looking at the Corsair Hydro H80 http://www.corsair.com/en/cpu-cooli...s-h80-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler.html[/FONT]

2. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    You'd be better off to use mineral oil as it's non conductive.

3. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    WC is safe, I've got a Custom loop none of that closed loop stuff. The corsair units are good, however there not much if any better than a highend aircooler, only reasons to swap for one really is aesthetics or space around your CPU area.

What aftermarket cooler are you using?

4. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Coolermaster :O V8

5. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Well I can say back when I built my first watercooled rig(Opteron 170, Dual X1900XTX's)I literally DROWNED my system with a bad leak(Asetek wasn't as savvy as they are today and used quick connectors) I just let it all dry out thoroughly and fired it all back up.Ran until I retired it, passed along the non X-Fire "Master Card" to a friend in need and it ran great for him until he upgraded.

But the "sealed loop" unit you are looking at is pretty much "idiot proof" unless your a madman and start bending the hoses till they break or attacking it with an knife there is little or no chance of it ever leaking.
    Custom Loops require a little more care, proper assembly and leak testing.

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Was afaid of blowing up my stuff too so i never really went with watercooling.
    I did go out and get a h80 -h100 since as the guy said its water noob friendly
    I think they are great and very happy,i use the h100 on my 3930k and it does well also the h80 handles my 3750k and even put it on alot video cards as cooling with great results.

7. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Liquid cooling is the way to go these days. No concerns at all as far as any leakage. If I were you though,I would consider Antec liquid coolers if you want "quiet" as well as very good cooling results. I switched from Corsair to Antec and I'm VERY satisfied. Good luck!

8. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690

Okay just seen this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENrMEFDpoBQ.

Probably going to stick with air now since the above will probably happen to me.

Any suggestions for the best air cooler on the market?

9. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    I've had a few water cooled systems.

Nowadays I'm sticking to the corsair HX0 series.
    No particular reason... I haven't had a reason to care about what brand as of yet.

I like that small water is par with the big air, but takes up a fraction of the space, and keeps mobo access easy.
    Running fans on low is silent, and the performance loss vs high fan settings is nominal.

I've had 4 corsair units.

One corsair (older H50) had a leak after running continuously (~never off) for a few years.

I was pleasantly surprised when I found that the liquid had gelled on air contact (yellow/white gel/goop), and it had effectively self sealed itself.
    Only reason I found the leak was because of a bi-yearly-ish case cleaning effort.

The first leak spot I saw was on the bar&plate core, next to an end tank.
    After removing, I found that it also leaked in a second spot between the heat plate and the pump chassis.

Nothing was damaged at all, and the performance was not impacted at all.
    It continued to run, with just a yellowish blotch where the leaks had been.

I replaced it with an H80.

The 3 other HX0 units have been fine, as has the new H80 so far (although it's only been on for a few weeks).

-scheherazade

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    If you have the space in your case (yay, rhymes), a ruddy great heatsink like the Noctua NH-D14 or similar is just as good as a H100, usually a bit cheaper too. Be sure to have low profile RAM though, and patience when installing one :D.

11. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Not sure what happened with his cooler, however I imagine that's very rare, he was also running a H50 which was one of their first. I'd think the H80 would be better.

If you want air then I'd suggest say a D14 or a Silver Arrow or Phanteks

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Nothing wrong with wc as long as you set it up properly,its not exactly rocket science just common sense.

Some of the cheap wc kits i will always avoid especially the ones with built in pump and res as the vibration from the pump over long periods of time can cause the reservoir to leak and yes ive seen this happen and ive seen a friends hardware be completely taken out by it,my advice is if your gonna do it,then do it properly and go get a custom kit consisting of the finest parts....like ive always said,you get what you pay for at the end of the day.

I would never go back to air cooling ever again,infact my next setup im actually considering a phase-change unit which is another step up from water cooling.

13. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Really Phase? That sounds great, though I thought phase could be noisy and expensive to run? Can you fit Phase in that M8 you've got? Or perhaps are you planning to get one of those LittleDevil cases that house a Phase cooler in the bottom?

Have you seen those TEC units that Mindchill builds? There drop in replacements for the Waterblock in your WC setup, there quite capable of going sub ambient I believe. Not as low as Phase, but for 24/7 systems they seem pretty cool, I quite fancy one.

14. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Active Member

GPU:
    MIS / 680 / 2GB SLI
    I have run a custom water loop since the Core 2 Duo days. I include the GPUs as well as the CPU now as it dramatically reduces the noise the computer makes. Modern GPUs are just too loud at the high end. I have had the odd leak and it did no harm, not least because I am using distilled/premixed nonconductive liquids. Makes a mess but beyond that its rarely a concern.

My issue with the prebuilt watercoolers like the H80 are that they rarely do better than high end air, but at higher prices. The real advantage of water is that you can take the heat of a CPU and put it across more than one radiator slot (2x 120mm) somewhere exhausting from the case and considerably reduce the noise, cool a lot more heat and do so straight out of the case. A good water kit is good for another 100-200 Mhz over the top of prebuilt water/high end air if you are thermally limited.

Of course if you go SB/IB its not an issue, they don't put out enough heat to really benefit from custom water loops. But SB-E definitely does.

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah i can fit a phase change in the bottom of pedestal,im currently at alton towers using my phone while queing,i will check that one you mentioned when i get back home later