Water Cooling - Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Preachergeek, Feb 7, 2007.

1. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I recently bought a thermaltake bigwater se watercooling kit(mild overclock on my 6600). I have a few questions? Anyone heard of the cooland seeping between the acrylic and copper waterblock? I can see coolant up to the oring inside the block and have pulled the kit in fear of killing my system. Is it normal to have coolant seep outside the channel its supposed to run through?

2. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What do you mean "coolant up to the o-ring"? Is it actually leaking out of the waterblock? Then no, that's not normal, but not uncommon with Thermaltake waterblocks, unfortunately.

3. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Example. Sorry only thing I have is paint. Thank you for the quick reply. Would take a pic of it now but my camera hosed after these pictures.

[​IMG]

4. Phalanx

Phalanx Banned

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX SLI @ 650/2000
    That's not a good sign. If the fluid is seeping out of the channel, take it out of your PC and get a proper water cooling kit before it leaks on your video cards and kills them.

5. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    256mb RSX @550MHz/700Mhz
    is it coming from the o rings on the block?

you can tighten them, mine leaked too, i just got a wrench and twisted eac one a little.

I mean the piece that screws into the block

when you put the tubes on you could have losened them

if its between the plastic and copper though rma it.

6. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Yeah I have had it running for 48 hours outside the case and no leaks outside the block. However it is between the actrylic and copper which has be worried. So Im going ot RMA it. Sad thing is. Thermaltake has a advanced rma deal where they hold your credit card info and send yout the replacement item. If they dont get the itme they are replacing back they charge your card. Well After I submitted my info I noticed it wasnt a sercure site which really bothered me. So yesterday I checked the site again and it was hacked. Im thinking it was after the fact due to I got confirmation of my rma and a rma number as well, but still. Has me a lil edgy now. Check it out for your self. Needless to say I canceld my credit card when I saw this. No charges had been made yet.

I go to thermaltake.com then click on North America then highlight support then click on erma and this is where it takes you.
    http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/support/eRMA/eRMA.htm

7. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Can't you RMA it to the place you bought it from? I never ever deal with manufacturers as RMA deals through e-tailers here are excellent.

8. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Yeah I bought it from Frys. Im not sure if since I cut all my hoses theyd take it back. That and its about an hour away from my house so the drive sucks.

9. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Of course they should take it back even though the hoses are cut! The item is used, and they are to expect that the item is in a "used" condition. As long as you haven't done any physical mods to the unit, they have to take it back. I'd rather do that than to deal with Thermaltake themselves, who I find rather sketcy to begin with.

10. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    True.

11. (IRE)Wolfman

GPU:
    256mb RSX @550MHz/700Mhz
    It scared me when i first saw my block leaking. i just super tightened the hex connector on the block and it worked

strange thing is i found a hair inbetween the copper and plastic, not the grooves, but right inbetween the 2.

Thats te reason i upgraded ontop of wanting better temps and stable ones too.

Thing is i cant find a hole saw anywhere, do i go to a plumber or something?

Online they range from 5-50 dollars

i already have a drill.

I'm waiting for the backplate so i still have time to get the holesaw.

12. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    hehe I used to work in a hardware store. Go tot a local one they sell hole saws:) So when you say the hex connector are you refering to the one that is screwed into the block its self or the coupling nut that the hose runs through?

13. (IRE)Wolfman

GPU:
    256mb RSX @550MHz/700Mhz
    The one connecting to the block.

When you put the hosing on them they sometimes loosen.

Mine was very loose, it was around 1 full turn.

Also when i put the oring on them i might have loosened them more because its the reverse thread.

14. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia

Well I took the kit back to FRYS and got a zalman 9700. Funny thing is that it cools better than the waterkit. 31 idle 48 load on fan on low. This is with my fsb set to 1333:)

15. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    Not that suprising, really, if the radiator is small and made of aluminum then there is not much reason to expect it to beat a good aircooler. Water may have better thermal transfer than air, but metal is vastly better still. I think the distribution of heat evenly along the entire mass of the metal is where using water as an intermediary may give you an advantage, and the heatpipes in most HSFs nowadays help do to the same thing.

16. (IRE)Wolfman

GPU:
    256mb RSX @550MHz/700Mhz
    how do you run 2 8800 on such low powered psu?

good to hear it working now.

are those tes cpu or cores?

17. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Went to sli zone and checked the powersupply before buying it. Its got 3 12 volt rails that are 19amps each so Im kewl there. Core wise. Im not sure IM using ntune so ehh. Who knows?...

18. (IRE)Wolfman

GPU:
    256mb RSX @550MHz/700Mhz
    I feel like i was screwed

i didn't need a 1000w in the first place for 1 8800gtx

But the psu calculator say i use nearly 950w------------

after checking again all i need is 600

or 750 if its sli

what did i do to think i need 1000w

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  19. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    lol , a dual GTX system eays about 600W so his psu is fine but it never hurts to have extra power , psu is the one thing i allways like having more of

20. (IRE)Wolfman

GPU:
    256mb RSX @550MHz/700Mhz
    I was going to buy a 850w but i thought i needed the extra

i could have gone sli if i only knew :bang:

I wish i could go back in time

Not get kandalf, and get a stacker instead

and got the Swiftech ultra with it...

[sarcasm]Anybody want to buy my Kandalf LCS case? LOL its a good case.[/sarcasm]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007