1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water Cooling - Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Preachergeek, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 580 Lightning 1010mhz
    hey guys, im a total noob if it goes for water cooling, could you recommend me a complete water cooling setup for around 300euro?

2. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 / Many others
    Im not expert either, however im sure other gurus who are will ask what are you wanting to watercool? the CPU or the CPU + 2 GPUs or CPU+2GPUs+Mobo?

To cool the whole lot and achieve good overclocks for more benching its probably gonna cost way more than 300Euros, just the blocks for your GPUs would prob be 80-100 each.

3. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 580 Lightning 1010mhz
    sorry didnt think about it;) i wold be looking for something I can expand later, so I can cool the cpu now, and in a few weeks get the blocks for the gpus

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    well did my 1st watercool and no leaks as of yet. caused me a few headaches and had a wierd case of psu not coming on with say a fan attached but then power it on using a paperclip and then adding a fan whilst on it would work.

strange..anyways was a lot of fun to build. can recommend some stuff if anyone in uk is interested.

got the stuff from the www.watercoolingshop.co.uk. (friendly guy helped out quite a lot).

p.s am guessing loads temps 24c and in-game game tests are around 35c are fine. early days.

hoping to get around 950 core and not break 60c. should be doo-able i reckon.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

5. Kyze

Kyze New Member

GPU:
    HD5770
    Well Hi there,
    as you can see my rig is pretty imbalanced atm, gpu is way too weak.
    (Had 2x 5770 cfx before). Im looking into getting an 7970 as soon as
    theres the custom coolers around.

After that my next thing would be watercooling. Since i pretty much read all
    threads about it on here and am overal pretty interested in that i think i
    have quite a good idea of how to build it and what to get.

The only thing im wondering about is if i need a new case to get a watercooling-
    solution with enough performance for a i5 and a 7970.
    Its all sitting in a Lian Li PC60FN right now, wich is sort of a pretty small midi-tower.

Would it be possible to get a good loop running in there with a decent rad ?
    Or would i have to get a new case first?
    (Im getting out the HDD-cage within the next 2 weeks, putting my hdds in the
    5.25" Bays ontop so there would be the most room for a rad i guess.)

Thanks for any kind of help :)
    Greetings

6. Irocing

Irocing Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 OC Edition
    Be surprized what you can cram into a mid sized case.
    Sorta of:chainsaw2:

Mine.

[​IMG]

Later:)

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
  8. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    my res cracked the other day but i had a gut feeling it would happen or that something fishy was wrong with the phobya + pump combo from the off.

was sent another free of charge from the watercooling shop. has taken me a day or so to flush out the dyed coolant...

but lucky for me water is free.

p.s @above. nice. but your case seems to be sprouting something hehe.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  9. benqbiggis

benqbiggis Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX 580
  10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

Get this cpu block instead. It's better
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...re_AMD_Ready_Apogee-HD-BK.html?tl=g30c323s835

You wont need the copper sulfate drops because the fluid you have listed has corrosive and algae inhibitors already mixed in. Everything else looks fine.

11. benqbiggis

benqbiggis Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX 580
    thanks

but for what reasons that cpu block is better than that one i previous selected ?
    and in both cpu blocks that compression fittings will work normally ? cause they are a bit large

another doubt... is any good that pump ? works with that compression fittings sizes ?

12. PhazeDelta1

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  13. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    My setup

- XSPC RS120 Radiator - Black
    - XSPC EX240 Slim Line Dual Fan Radiator
    - 2 x Yate Loon 120mm D12SH-12 - 2200 RPM
    - 2 x Yate Loon D12SL-12C with plug (1350rpm) (Slim) 120x120x20mm
    - 6 x XSPC Coin Fit G1/4 to 7/16 ID 5/8 OD Compression Fitting - Black
    - 2 x EK Water Blocks EK-PSC 16/12mm compression fitting G1/4 (ID 7/16)
    - Primochill tubing PrimoFlex Pro 16/11 (7/16\"ID) UV red - 1m
    - EK Water Blocks EK-Supreme LTX - Acetal+EN (Nickel) 775/ 1156/
    - EK-FB ASUS Maximus III Formula - Acetal+Nickel
    - 12V Laing DDC-1T Pro (10w)
    - Laing DDC Acrylic Tank Reservoir - XSPC

The results

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The system actually idles a bit warmer than I thought, around 30C the real difference though is under load, the system rarely gets above 45 even when under full load for a prolonged period of time.

14. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    @ PhazeDelta1 + benqbiggis

According to that review the apogee HD performs lower than most of the other blocks, it has quite high restriction/low flowrate and also has the highest deltaT i.e highest temps.

I would personally recommend the XSPC Raystorm, probably cost less than the others and is one of the best performing blocks currently available. The AC Kryos performs marginally better than the raystorm according to that review linked though with more restriction (can be an issue as loop grows), but will likely cost a lot more and so probably not worth the extra.

XSPC RayStorm High Performance Acetal CPU Liquid Cooling Block - Intel (Sockets LGA 775 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011)
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...ntel_Sockets_LGA_775_1155_1156_1366_2011.html

As for a pump, the laing ddc is a very good pump design and should work great with most loops, you might also want to checkout the variable speed laing D5 based pumps. These are generally preferred over the DDC and due to the variable speed allow for better noise/performance management.

Here's a link to the mcp655 (1/2" ports with 3/8" conversion kit)
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6...trol_and_38_Conversion_Kit_317_GPH.html#blank

Or fully customisable with g 1/4" threaded ports
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...r_Pump_w_G14_Thread_Ports.html?tl=g30c107s153

If you want the same performance and to save some cash then grab this
    Alphacool VPP655 Variable Speed Pump w/ RPM Monitoring - Single Edition
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...d_Pump_w_RPM_Monitoring_-_Single_Edition.html

The alphacool vpp655 comes with no fittings and will plug directly into the top/res. For any of the pumps above you can pickup a top/res suited to D5/MCP655.

Frozencpu stock the following:
    EK D5 X-Res Top 140 Pump Top / Reservoir Combo - Black Acetal (EK-D5 X-RES TOP 140 - Black Acetal)
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...cetal_EK-D5_X-RES_TOP_140_-_Black_Acetal.html

or the smaller version
    EK D5 X-Res Top 100 Pump Top / Reservoir Combo - Black Acetal (EK-D5 X-RES TOP 100 - Black Acetal)
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...EK-D5_X-RES_TOP_100_-_Black_Acetal.html#blank

They are g1/4" so just pickup any fittings and you're good to go :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  15. benqbiggis

benqbiggis Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX 580

Thanks a lot dude

out of these 3 which would you pick ?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1..._Ready_Apogee-HD-BK.html?tl=g30c323s835#blank

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...kets_LGA_2011_1366_1156_1155_775_CPU-601.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...ockets_LGA_775_1155_1156_1366_2011.html#blank

and about these ?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1..._w_G14_Thread_Ports.html?tl=g30c107s153#blank

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9..._-_12_Volt_-18_Watt.html?tl=g30c107s153#blank

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Go for the mcp 655 pump(variable speed version)

As for the blocks ive had the Apoogee since early 2010 and it was the best block that you could get at the time,although there are better blocks now regarding restriction flow etc the gains that you get will be minimal as all custom watercooling setups are only as strong as the weakest link in the chain.

Go with any block that you fancy out of those as there all good.

I would still put a silver coil in your reservoir,it wont do you any harm and will last much longer than any liquid based biocide.

Ive had my loop running for nearly 3 years with the same water,ive never changed it and my temps are still the same and my performance is still the same,i put this down to useing silver coil+PT nuke(2 drops) and the fact that i dont and never will use coolants with fancy colours as they do nothing but clog up and stain your blocks over long periods of time,hence ive never had this problem as everything i use is clean.

17. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    I'd still take the raystorm, performs about the same as the DD and also costs 20 USD less.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regarding the pumps, as stated in my last post the D5/mcp655 based pumps are better than the laing DDC so it would have to be the mcp655 out of those two. Though you might want to consider the Alphacool VPP655 with the top/res combo in my last post for the same performance and some cash savings as well.

Also about restriction in blocks, restriction will effect the loop's overall flow rate and pressure based on the pump's head pressure, or in the case of a closed loop the dynamic head pressure. The more restriction you add the more this pressure will start to drop and the lower the flow rate will become.

The pressure will also drop as you add more fittings/tubing/blocks and this can start to become a hindrance to loop performance. Overall with the mcp655/D5 you are unlikely to face any flow rate based issues in a typical or even extended pc water cooling loop however you need to also consider that the pump comes with a 5 speed gauge and the lower the overall loop restriction is the lower you will be able to set the pump speed and this will help with noise, heat and power usage. Regardless, it is always good practice to buy the lowest restriction blocks if the performance is as good as the alternative. :)

18. PhazeDelta1

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Sorry for the misinformation in my last post, I read those graphs wrong. It appears I am in need of new contacts. :nerd:

19. benqbiggis

benqbiggis Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX 580
    thanks guys for the help

my last doubts are

between this 2 radiators

XSPC - EX480
    MCR420-XP

and this 2 pumps

PMP-450S
    MCP655

???

20. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Radiators, very similar performance.

The swiftech has a fin density of 20FPI, whereas the ex480 has dual rows of 19FPI. They will react similarly to fan rpm and are probably best suited for around 1200 to 1800rpm. Not many reviews on the MCR420-XP but as the fin density has been increased on these compared to the older models they will perform slightly better at higher rpm.

MCR420

Material: Brass tubes and chassis, copper fins
    Colour: Satin black
    Connection thread size: G1/4"
    Outer dimensions (LxWxH): 522 x 128 x 37mm
    Weight: 1048g
    Fan thread size: UNC 6-32

EX480

- Copper and Brass Core
    - Black Matt Paint Finish
    - RoHS Compliant
    - Dimensions: 121 x 35.5 x 515mm (WxDxH)
    - Weight: ~843g
    - Ports: G1/4″
    - Screws: 6-32 UNC

The dimensions are also similar with the mcr being slightly bigger and thicker.

Make your choice based on space available and cost. If you are after a quieter system with lower rpm fans on the radiator then I would recommend an xspc rx480. Though it is a thicker radiator.

Pumps. Again very similar, both based around the laing D5 and have variable speed settings. Choose based on cost.

Looking at pure performance martin describes the koolance as the “King of Pumping Power”.

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/03/05/koolance-pmp-450s-d5-strong-pump/