Water Cooling - Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Preachergeek, Feb 7, 2007.

1. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    256mb RSX @550MHz/700Mhz
    http://legionhardware.com/document.php?id=666

"Thermaltake has just recently added yet another do it yourself liquid cooling system to their line up, called the BigWater 760i. In the past we have had a few rough experiences with the BigWater series and have steered clear of the last few versions. However the new BigWater 760i appears to have all the bugs ironed out. This new affordable and easy to install water-cooling system could be the first real solution from Thermaltake... "

wonder if TT is improving?

2. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    You have to watch out with these reviews:

If this thing killed high-end air and made a respectable show against the more expensive custom kits, probably they would include them to illustrate that fact. Its tough to say for sure, but I think the near universal lack of such competitors is difficult to explain away otherwise.

I think Tt has been improving, but the problem is that I don't think it is easy to do watercooling decently at the price points they're aiming for even if you are a large company like thermaltake, so it is questionable whether they will ever be worth buying.

3. (IRE)Wolfman

GPU:
    256mb RSX @550MHz/700Mhz
    He mentioned that it was cheaper than a Swiftech ultra, but he never said it was better, its not right?

4. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    What they're claiming is that it beats their selection of aircoolers, thus it performs well, and on top of that, it is much cheaper than the more expensive kits, thus it has value. Any they're right, or if you take performance and value in this context. But what we really want to see is where it compares to a $70 Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme and that $250 Swiftech Apex Ultra. I wouldn't assume it would even beat the Ultra-120, or if so perhaps by a degree or two... or at least not without a review that actually demonstrates it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007

5. Azza92

Azza92 Active Member

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB
    very good guide

6. ForceX

ForceX Member

GPU:
    7900GT SLI 580/1660
  7. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    from what ive seen its a decent cooler for non 8800 gpus but i would lean more toward the zalman 1000 if you can get them.the duorb doesnt do very well underload with 8800s from the reviews ive seen of it.
    if you have a flexable sli bridge you should be fine for either the zalman or tt.

8. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    I will be venturing into liquid cooling for the first time and have a question.
    Would two custom dyi liquid cooling systems with quality parts be worth the time and effort? One system for SLi and the other system for cpu, chipset, hd. Will be using Thermaltake Mozart TX case, so I will have enough room for two systems.

9. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    Well it depends on what you're doing with your rig and how much money you're prepared to spend.

Two full loops like you've suggested would offer fantastic cooling which will allow you to overclock much further, and you should be able to reach some really good speeds on that e6600. It will also be a lot quieter (if you want it to be) than a good aircooling set up. And will generally look really cool imo at least.

You could however just set up one loop with really good parts to get a similiar, although a bit weaker, level of cooling performance and save alot of money.

Oh and watercooling the HD is entirely unneeded and will just reduce the cooling potential for the other components by dumping heat into the liquid and lowering the water pressure. As long as you have decent airflow in your case (which u will have) then the HD will be fine on air.

10. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    Would an MCR 220 radiator be good enough to cool a quad core and a mid-high GPU like an 8800gt or HD3870 with mild overclocks? I'm thinking about going into watercooling, but I can only justify paying under $300 for it, and a PA.120.2 is a little steep. I really don't want an external radiator, so 2x120 is as big as I want to go.

Here's what I was thinking:
    all swiftech parts

apogee GT CPU block
    MCW 60 GPU block (GPU only, not a full coverage)
    MCP 355 pump
    MCR 220
    3/8" tubing
    internal res.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007

11. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    I'd say that that radiator would be good enough to an extent, in that it would get the job done and would probably give u good temperatures.

How far are you interested in overclocking your quad core? That will be the thing that will be dumping most of the heat into the loop and overclocking and over volting drastically increases the amount of heat produced. If you only want to run it at moderate speeds then i'd say that radiator is good enough.

12. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    probably like 3.0 - 3.3 Ghz is all I would go for. the 10% extra speed for 3.6 wouldn't be worth the extra heat for me. And it would definately be a penryn or phenom so maybe a little higher depending on how nicely they overclock. I'm more looking for a nice GPU overclock, which would translate into better gaming performance, but I want to cool the CPU to keep the noise as low as possible.

Any extimate on how loud two yate loons would be (rated at 28dB for 47 cfm and 33 dB for 70 cfm) mounted in the front of an armor? I see that almost everyone who has water cooling runs loons, so they must be decent. I'll probably have an air filter in front too to reduce noise and dust. plus it might look cool when it spreads the light from the LEDs evenly over the whole front of the case.

13. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yate Loons are great fans. They provide very decent air pressure, are silent, extremely cheap and undervolts beautifully. I run 3x Yate Loon SM's on my radiator, undervolted and at around 1300RPM, and 4x Yate Loon SL's as case fans, undervolted and at around 1100RPM. All in all I'm extremely pleased with the sound levels of my PC. Just remember to put the fans in pull mode on the radiator for the most silent operation.

14. Knuspar

Knuspar Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac 8800 GT AMP/ Samsun
    Just wanna thank the ones giving input on this thread. Helped me a lot when having to choose the parts for my H2O cooling :D

Running my leaktest now, and still havent had to use any towelse .. hehe :D Also, a thx for guru3d for hosting such a IMBA forum!

15. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:

16. (IRE)Wolfman

GPU:
    256mb RSX @550MHz/700Mhz
  17. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    The petra top. I'm not sure what the point of the alphacool top is, but it is having the outlet pointing up that gives the petra top the advantage.

18. (IRE)Wolfman

GPU:
    256mb RSX @550MHz/700Mhz
    Dont you mean the inlet pointing up?

[​IMG]

19. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  20. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    Is the pump on the swiftech 220 compact powerful enough to add an MCW60 for my GPU? If it is, that would be an easy watercooling solution for people like me who are new to it. My hardware doesn't exactly put out a lot of heat, so the kit would be plenty I think. I really just want it to be really quiet since the computer is in my bedroom then I can leave it on when I'm asleep.