1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watch_Dogs Relief Mapping Mod by The Silver

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by The Silver, Dec 11, 2015.

1. The Silver

The Silver Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    Watch_Dogs Relief Mapping Mod by The Silver

This mod enables the Relief Mapping in Watch Dogs. The Relief mapping is a texture mapping technique to fake 3D details on an actually flat surface. It's highly comparable in both function and approach to another displacement texture mapping technique, the widely known Parallax Occlusion Mapping, and for the end user the visual result of the two techniques is almost exactly the same. ;)
    The effect was present in the old E3 biulds of Watch Dogs but not in the released game, with this mod the Relief Mapping is now enabled again for a lot of the suitable surfaces, including the road bricks seen in the PS4 Open World Gameplay Premiere video. This mod comes with almost no performance impact at all, and it can be appreciated both with High and Ultra textures quality. :cool:

Special thanks to txgt for the help! :D

Here are some examples of the Relief Mapping effect, obviously it's applied to many more surfaces than the ones in these screenshots, and it looks a lot better ingame, but you'll get the idea:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The last screenshot was taken with a WIP version of the latest E3 Lite Mod v2 by TXGT, and despite it being still work-in-progress you can already see how close you can get to the E3 build with the combination of these two mods, so with the final version of TXGT's mod it will look even better. :)

Download Link: WD_Relief_Mapping_Mod_by_The_Silver.rar

Alternate Versions:
    WD_Relief_Mapping_Mod_by_The_Silver_Loose_Files.rar

PS: If you encounter any bug or have any suggestion about surfaces that would benefit from the addition of the Relief Mapping please feel free to tell me.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  2. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    It looks very promising. Excellent work! I'm looking forward to finally being able to enjoy Watch_Dogs like it was meant to be. Think I'll try it with this and the Lite E3 mod coupled with a nice SweetFX (if I can get it work :p)

3. infiniium

infiniium Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO R9 390 8GB
    Wow dude, this looks great! Excellent job!!! :D

EDIT: I checked the loose files and saw you edited a ton of textures and materials. I respect your persistence! :D

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  4. TheI3arracuda

TheI3arracuda Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980
    This is freaking amazing! :D
    Thank you so much for this really great addition to the game!

5. puredorian

puredorian Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    Wonder why it was disabled in release if there's no difference on perfomance.

Probably something that they forgot when porting from past gen, but it's my assumption.

Good job in delivering feature as it was meant to be. :thumbup:

6. Nuk1e

Nuk1e Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX980Ti Strix
    Awesome job thesilver and txgt! and yes def looking forward to lite version 2.0 great to see that people still manage to enable things after all this time.

Thank you very much for your time and effort! it is much appreciated :)

7. Thrax

Thrax New Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Very exciting! Looking forward to trying it out.

8. The Silver

The Silver Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    Thanks to everyone guys, I really appreciate! :)
    Feel free to post here your impressions once you've tried it yourself, and don't worry about reporting bugs or suggesting new surfaces to be "treated". ;)

@puredorian: They didn't forgot, they actually removed the needed things from the existing assets, I still can't understand why... :bang:

@infiniium: Yep, it's 318 edited materials and 70 textures, however the textures aren't just converted normal maps but each of them includes a new essential handmade heightmap texture in the alpha channel, and every single one was saved with specific customized settings to get the best quality/compression ratio possible for each of them. :D

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  9. Zer01neDev

Zer01neDev Active Member

GPU:
    MSi GTX 970 GAMING 4G
    Tested and worked thanks you.

10. KuroTenshi

KuroTenshi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4gb @ 1177/1402
    Thank's a lot ! It's really really nice !

I already reworked textures, but without relief mapping. How did you add Relief Mapping to them ?

Or if I can give you my improved textures, can you add Relief Mapping to them ?

11. The Silver

The Silver Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    Thank you very much! :)

If your textures doesn't overwrite the ones in the Loose Files pack of my Relief Mapping mod then there isn't any problem, if they do then please tell me their filename and I'll gladly teach you how to make them compatible. ;)

12. KuroTenshi

KuroTenshi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4gb @ 1177/1402
    Thank you !

In fact they conflict with the loose files. I reworked about 1700 ultra textures, to make them lighter while more detailed (yes it's hard).

There are 30 files (I still have the uncompressed TGA files) :

marblered_plaza_01_n_high.xbt
    concrete_plaza_tile_02_n_high.xbt
    concrete_plaza_tile_01_n_high.xbt
    concretewall_11_n_high.xbt
    07_concrete_tile_01_n_high.xbt
    road_03_sidewalk_n_high.xbt
    road_03_sidewalkborder_n_high.xbt
    road_03_sidewalkborder_m_high.xbt
    road_02_sidewalk_n_high.xbt
    road_02_sidewalk_m_high.xbt
    road_01_sidewalk_n_high.xbt
    roadsidewalkcorner_01b_n_high.xbt
    roadsidewalkcorner_01b_m_high.xbt
    roadsidewalkcorner_01a_n_high.xbt
    roadsidewalkcorner_01a_m_high.xbt
    roadbrick_01_m_high.xbt
    floorbrick_01_n_high.xbt
    brick_01_n_high.xbt
    base_brick_06_n_high.xbt
    ward_01b_n_high.xbt
    ward_01a_n_high.xbt
    wardhouse_01c_n_high.xbt
    wardhouse_01b_n_high.xbt
    parkersquare_01a_n_high.xbt
    nclas_01a_n_high.xbt
    industrial_01a_n_high.xbt
    gen_01c_n_high.xbt
    gen_01a_n_high.xbt
    facade_gen_04_n_high.xbt
    deco_01a_n_high.xbt

I am uploading a little showcase, with E3 Lite Mod 1.3, my textures and my Reshade Preset.

13. KuroTenshi

KuroTenshi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4gb @ 1177/1402
    Ok you talked about height maps. If it's enough I think I can do it

Is this this kind of thing ? If this is the case, then all my textures use relief mapping ^^

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  14. The Silver

The Silver Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    Nope, for WD the relief/height map must be in the alpha channel of the normal map (and it must be greyscale anyway), so if you want an example you just have to check the transparency layer (alpha) of my textures, what you posted is the usual purple/blue normal map (while WD uses the better compressed orange/alpha format). ;) I will post better explanations as soon as I will have more time, maybe even a visual guide so language will not be an issue, stay tuned. :)

PS: In the meanwhile can you send me an example of an original texture + the same reworked by you in compressed DDS + the same reworked by you in uncompressed TGA please? I wanna know if I can find an easy conversion trick.

15. KuroTenshi

KuroTenshi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4gb @ 1177/1402
    Ok. So If I provide you Grey Height Maps AND Normal Maps, you could make the merge. I have about 500 textures ^^

16. The Silver

The Silver Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    But only 30 of them needs to be converted for RM. ;) Anyway as I said I will gladly teach you how to make them compatible, just give me what I've asked (files + time) and I will post a tutorial as soon as I can. :D

17. KuroTenshi

KuroTenshi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4gb @ 1177/1402
    Here is what you asked :

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jkgms0h8am6kyke/textures.7z

The method is simple. Unpack the DDS texture to the uncompressed TGA. Add contrast + sharpness to this texture and multiply size by 2/3. Then convert to BC7 DDS format that give the best ratio sharpness/performance (it's a DX 11 feature).
    Finally use a Sharpening and contrasting Reshade Preset that doesn't change the vanilla mood (and adding extra effects).

Bonus trailer without RM but with Reshade and Modified Textures

Use VLC to view it as it's h265 (I am not used to video captures). It uses TXGT's E3 Light 1.3.1.

18. The Silver

The Silver Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
  19. KuroTenshi

KuroTenshi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4gb @ 1177/1402
    Hummm....Oups ?

Ok, well...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wj28ui8wwg123po/normals.7z

Seems the conversion will be hard...

20. The Silver

The Silver Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    Wait, in your mod you're currently using the "purple/blue" image instead of the "orange" one?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015