Watch the AMD CES 2020 Computing Keynote announcement (23:00 CEST / 2PM PT)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 6, 2020.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Hilbert, did you get any RX 5600XT cards for reviewing?

2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    That 64-core TR is making the entire Xeon line completely obsolete.

anticupidon likes this.
  3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Well, ok but everyone wants to see actual benchmarks and how well it runs.

4. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Well we go into the 8/16 for laptops, not bad.

Will be funny to see videos about the 3990X and read people cries about 'gaming sucks on a 4k $ cpu'.

GPU wise... meh... wanted to see a 5800 or 5900.

5. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
    Well I will admit I was hopeful to see something above the 5700 being offered but.(shrugs) For what they showed though, daaaaaayum! They smoking more of that blue stuff than Jesse Pinkman! ;) :D

airbud7 likes this.
  6. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    RX 5800/ 5900 only at Computex I'm afraid... but it's not like Nvidia has anything else by then so it should be fine.

7. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    They NEED it.
    Ampere is just around the corner, and even if it's just 30% faster than Turing (which will be 2 years old at that time), it will leave all AMD RDNA cards in the dust.
    I actually expect Ampere to be 50% faster for the same power envelope, so without new products Radeon has no chance.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    8 C/16T on a laptop sounds great. Still no Navi on those, only 59% improved Vega cores

9. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    And leaving the complete mid to high-end market to Nvidia for one more entire year ? No chance in hell Lisa will do that.
    They will launch a high-end GPU no matter what, even if it loses in both performance and efficiency to NV (nothing new there)

10. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    At 1/5 the cost also!!!!!! :eek:
    Even if Intel wanted to show something, no chiller could help them :D

Maddness and angelgraves13 like this.

11. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    We will actually. Perhaps they will deliver more brute strength without RT cores gimmick than 2080 and 2080ti, so they will force a 2080ti super before 2021. Already a paper weak 5700XT gives RTX 2070S a nightmare, price and performance ratio is out of its league. It is granted if we move 2 tiers with 2 separate products, 2080super and 2080ti are gonna lose respectively price and performance ratio until Ampere. We have told multiple times, RT cores were and still are the top selling point of RTX series. Until RDNA2, those are the only reason to buy Nvidia at all, except G-Sync of course.

Fediuld likes this.
  12. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Most 1440p monitors are 144hz+ so they need something stronger, even excluding 4K, I believe it is harder to catch 144fps @ 1440p than 60fps in 4K. I do not know how are they thinking, really. At this point, if they don't do something, you have to choose either compromise your gaming with high end monitors, or go Nvidia. Anyway, there is no confirmation about Ampere in 2020. Especially if AMD doesn't care for something better than 5700 series to launch in 2020. Keep your expectations low. Even Huang compared next gen consoles to mobility 2080, not RTX 3060 or anything like that.

13. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    I see it this way:

1) The most lucrative market - server cpus - done
    2) Desktop & HEDT market - done
    3) Ultrathin & laptop market starting with Zen 2 APUs - done
    4) Console SOCs - pretty much done
    5) High-end & Enthusiast GPUs left for 2021 due to limited R&D and above mentioned priorities

14. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Really wanted some info about zen3 . Even if tiny bit of assurance of releasing it on am4 platform would be so relieving. :(

15. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yeah I'd say the consoles would have a lot to do with that. They have had contracts in place and I'm sure if the targets were not met, there would be big penalties. Still they are killing it in the CPU space and are looking to do the same in the laptop space.

16. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    So, big Navi (if it will ever exist) and RDNA2 are still far away on the horizon. Ray Tracing probably too!

Let's get ready for another Nvidia price hike next generation. It seems that AMD is not able to get out of the mid range anytime soon.

17. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    CPUs are better money makers. Intel fanboys buy Intel. Meanwhile, tons of Ryzen users, use Nvidia gpus. It is much easier to sell great CPUs at the moment for AMD. Also mid range is more profitable at present time. When they feel like taking the risk, they will open to high end GPU once again.

Personally, I prefer that way. You cannot fight two giants at once, even if you were "Dragonborn". Even if you didn't take an arrow in the knee. After Intel, if all goes well, Nvidia is next to feel the shaking by AMD's walk. We cannot expect miracles in all aspects, we should be realistic for a change.!

Maddness likes this.
  18. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    as i predicted the rx 5600xt is not priced competitive but accordingly so is a bit faster than the 1660S it seems and is a bit more expensive ....

19. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    That's true but I have a feeling Nvidia won't roll over like Intel has been doing. I really want to go back to them for a GPU. But the card I have already is much faster. I guess I'll just have to wait.

warlord likes this.
  20. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Nonsense. It is beyond competitive. Get over with it FFS. It is a down-clocked 5700 with 2 less gb vram, not a "cheap" chip, it packs some serious amount of stream processors. It will sit between 1660 super and 2060 super. So it will be much faster than new a shiny 1660 super, not a bit. You cannot demand that kind of power with less than 250$. AMD is not a charity or a non-profit organization.