Watch Microsoft's demo of Skype's real-time translation service

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    good to see things are getting better. less grammatical errors then usual.

3. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    11/10, will read that again.

:p

4. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Pretty impressive.

5. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    Pretty damn good that, i'm interested in seeing how the tech would get around the grammatical differences from English to Spanish/Japanese etc. That will be an interesting day.

6. deathnite

deathnite Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 12GB
    Funny how this is coming from someone that can't tell the difference between than/then, but talks about grammar mistakes.

7. Mojojoe

Mojojoe Guest

GPU:
    :
    It's good to see that things are getting better. There were fewer grammatical errors than usual.

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Well that can happen when people dont speak english a lot. (since im dutch).
    But just keep on making fun of me guys, i appreciate it :)

9. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well, there are quite a lot of people on Guru3D, especially from Europe, who are not native English speakers. I think it's pretty rare to have English-speaking tech forum which is not totally dominated by Americans.

Anyway back to topic - I do hope that the quality of automated translation improves. While it's more difficult to speak/write than to read, even the English reading skills aren't the best among tech people. A good computer-based translator might help a lot. It's especially difficult when sentence construction differs significantly between languages. I don't know how it's for Dutch, but while you have pretty much 1 to 3 forms of a verb, and 1-2 of noun in English and add some extra words to communicate who's doing what and intents, in Polish there are a lot of variations - for example by adding prefixes and suffixes to noun, you can indicate the time and intent of action, and number and gender of participants. Often, translating noun-related parts of sentences from Polish to English requires replacing a single word or a set of them with way more words in English. And you frequently get incorrect forms when auto translating in the opposite direction, making text difficult to read and understand. When reading such translated text, it's easier for me to understand when translating each word back to English way too often than I'd like it to be. Also, it may happen that there's a word in one language, and not in another, so you have to describe what you want. A professional human translator will completely change the sentence to make it preserve the meaning, while adapting it to sound properly and be easy to understand with minimum possible number of words.

Asking people "to learn some English" isn't always a solution. It requires time and effort. If one's mind and schedule are occupied with other important activities, it's difficult to dedicate some time into learning new languages (or spending more time on that than they already do). It's a matter of tradeoffs - I could be more well-rested, or be a better programmer, or spend more time with family & friends, or be better at English.

10. deathnite

deathnite Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 12GB
    Sorry, it was just something that stood out. These are common mistakes, you can notice them even in articles on this site. Even native English speakers make them.
    English is not my native language either, but we learn from mistakes. I'll leave you with this quote. 'I am who I am today because of the mistakes I made yesterday.'

Back on topic. Great to see this feature coming to Skype and hopefully we'll see it in other applications as well.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    "That" is one of the most overused words in English. There is no need for it in that sentence.

12. Daniel D.

Daniel D. Guest

Impressive for a real-time translation! I remember my last try with Google translate from english to german - with "real words".