1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watch Dogs PC Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by Plissken, Jun 28, 2014.

1. vfxninjaeditor

vfxninjaeditor New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 680 4GB
    Has anyone with a Titan and 6gb of vram said anything about still having stuttering? The problem is most certainly vram. All you have to do is monitor your vram usage on ultra with no mods to see this. Maldo's stutter fix is a mod that removes the mip maps from the textures to reduce the file sizes. That's why it fixes stuttering. It makes the game use less vram. Those with 3gb cards or lower are suffering most. The game can reach 3.7 gb of vram, even though the ultra textures option says you only need 3gb.

EDIT: As mentioned above by Plissken, your CPU plays a big role also. Never the less, vram usage is very high in this game and even with the best cpu you would still stutter some from high vram usage if you have a 3gb card.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Read post #9

3. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Well, that isn't somewhat true. My CPU for instance has a 9500+ score in with just 4.5Ghz. I'm sure the first i5-2500k at 4.8Ghz or more can achieve a score more than 9000, which is an old CPU. It was also once upon a time priced less than the 220$ mark.

But if my theory is right(about bus speed) then only a haswell, or the SB/IV-E platforms can run this game stutter free.

That and probably ram speed. Do people with high ram frequencies (2000+) and C10 have the annoying stutters?

Out of the box, the vanilla game runs fine on 1 760 on high textures. Ultra is probably 80~90% stutter free(TSMAA). I didn't try Maldo's mod but the Enhanced Reality V2 looks sweet. It is by far the best solution for me.

However the game runs like a slideshow on my 560Ti. Granted it doesn't have vram for the game, but even medium is a stutterfest. SLI is even worse. I think the CPU is the culprit, gives around 4200+ in passmark (AMD 955 BE @ 3.7Ghz)

4. powerbass4

powerbass4 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 660Ti
    just a little tip....turning down the shadows from ultra to high make it possible to come around with ultra textures; on gpu's with 2GB VRAM !

(^^1920x1080, without hardware-AA)

5. Plissken

Plissken Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    I was actually referring to the people with 2 gigs of VRAM. Theoretically, as long as you have a capable GPU with 3 GB VRAM, you should be fine. My results from monitoring the game clearly shows me that the game uses more than 3 gigs of VRAM when it's maxed out, though.

Would love to hear about that as well, though I still believe stutters are mostly VRAM and CPU related.

6. younggun

younggun Member

GPU:
    780 Superclocked
    I am thinking about getting a 1440p monitor, but will my 780 still be ok?

7. Yecnot

Yecnot Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 270 2GB
    I didn't realize that the PS4 had 4GB of vram and an i7 4770k. :nerd:

8. Plissken

Plissken Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    PS4 version has nothing to do with the PC version, they are two completely different stories. PS4 version is well optimized regardless of the hardware, even the PS3/360 version runs quite well. PC version on the other hand, seems like a lazy port of the console version thus requiring a top of the line CPU and GPU in order to make up for the lack of proper optimization. PS4 and PC version (on max settings) do not look dramatically different either, console version's MHBAO produces a fair enough result, probably uses temporal SMAA and the only difference is a slightly lower resolution and textures (if you're able to use ultra textures on PC). So there's no excuse for PC version's running poorer than expected, it's almost the same game.

9. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Well, theoretically the PS4 does have 5.5Gb vram.

Long back I made a silly diagram of how W_D probably works.

It first takes data from your HDD to your page file, then whats required from there to your RAM, and from there to your VRAM. The latter would require robust ram and high bus speed to not stutter, especially given an open world. Removing the page file from the equation would speed things up. This is just crazy speculation.

I think someone already said, when people were annoyed that the game won't run on 4Gb RAM, ubi though that they would make extensive use of the page file and dropped the requirements of 6Gb minimum, which might have been for the worse I presume.

10. Yecnot

Yecnot Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 270 2GB
    Don't see what the problem is though. We have control of the engine and more at our disposal. :banana:

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Sounds likely from what you've said.
    Phenom II's have a great heart but struggle to push SLI/CF rigs, no matter how hard the little guys try... :p

fwiw raising cpu/nb to 2400mhz and core to 4Ghz or so will give a significant performance boost.

12. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    I've had the northbridge at 2600mhz ever since I popped the cpu in the board.

Man, if this game was nice and easy on the CPU, I could actually stream it to the living room. Though the good part is TheWorse mod 0.97c(b+self imported maldo textures) has actually put my 760 at 50fps average without any stutter using maldo textures, granted I use the High preset. Will try streaming it.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    A man after my own heart.:p

My old 955 was pure magic, could do 4.4ghz at 1.4v!
    These days it lives a quiet life in my parents lounge, surfing the net and helping my mum catch up on GoT. Still running at a respectable 4.2GHz.

Loved it too much to sell it - call me sentimental...:)

I'm still trying to figure out how to run it, what are we meant to edit in the config file?

Is it for the games directory or application data or waht?

*Edit, wow are u seriously in Antarctica?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Actually all D3D applications are handled this way not just WD. That's how DX works with the exception of UMA.
    When CPU's cannot directly access graphics memory, and vice versa, it all has to be copied from system memory to vram. Which is why we now have UMA architecture.

The PF topic has been done to death, these days it's common for advanced users to turn it off, Windows still uses virtual memory though - only it stays in RAM instead of being swapped out.

On Windows 8.1 tiled resource support can see a crapton of RAM being used as pagefile for the GPU......namely BF4. Not really ideal on a desktop with discrete graphics.....lol stupid actually....

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  15. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    I've been a Windows 8 heathen ever since it was out, only done 5% basic testing on it so I don't know how BF4 works on it.

About Antarctica, lol, its an option offered, so why not use it?

About your post above, are you having trouble running the game? I strongly suggest removing all mods, then pasting 0.97c TheWorse mod in your data_win64 directory, and using the High preset for everything Ingame.

About 955, mine could only do 4.0Ghz at 1.5v , though ran it at less day 1 because of poor cooling. Later I upgraded my cooling for 4.0 24/7, but I think down the road, 2600mhz NB suddenly became unstable. Even 2400mhz would crash, and the RAM OC of 1600 suddenly didn't work. So well, I upgraded, and now the AMD platform collects dust in the living room. Probably it deserves a more honorable discharge?

16. Plissken

Plissken Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    AMD's 14.7 RC drivers are out. I'll see how it works with Watch_Dogs and edit my post for further information.

Pill, in order to get any mod running with Watch_Dogs you have to put the patch.dat and patch.fat files that comes with the mod archive to your data_win64 folder located in your main Watch_Dogs directory on your computer. It's a simple drag and drop operation that should be done easily. You don't have to mess with the config files, but it's required for you to delete your formerly created configuration file, that is, GamerProfile.xml located in My document/My Games/Watch Dogs/ directory and let the game create one after you place the dat/fat files in order to get the effects working properly. After that, as your graphics settings will be reset, you can change the in-game settings any way you want from the game's main menu.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  17. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Are you using Maldo's textures or any other mod?

Also an eye opener for everyone who is running on 1/2Gb GPUs, look up "Myths of Graphic Cards Debunked" , an article by tomshardware.

At idle Windows 7 uses less vram compared to 8.1(Which is huge). This is probably the main #1 issue of stuttering for numerous people, I bet it.

Windows 7 using classic theme idles at 55mb vram, even on my current config. Windows 8.1 climbs to even more than 200mb.

@ OP Please include idle vram usage as well.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  18. Plissken

Plissken Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    Here's my report for the performance of AMD's 14.7 RC1 drivers on Watch_Dogs as promised:

No performance changes at all.

Thanks for reading. :nerd:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  19. rotot

rotot Member

GPU:
    amd
    shadow flickers a bit on buildings and small houses.like when i move towards those places shadow flickers help please !

20. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    You need to download more RAM.

/s

Technical explanation:
    According to TheWorse, the engine automatically limits shadow quality according to performance, that means, if your system can't handle it, the shadows will flicker.