Watch Dogs Game Discussion Pt 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ricardonuno1980, Jun 5, 2014.

1. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    top-notch gpu
    Might be for the best. I've written them off for a while now. Nothing that they've got in the pipeline excites me either.

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    You guys think people are annoyed with Ubisoft's PC support now.
    Imagine how it would be if they stopped developing games for PC all together. The backlash would be horrible.

And, they'd take a pretty big cut in profits. While console versions outsell PC versions easily, the PC side still brings in a lot of profit for them.
    Cutting off PC development all together would be beyond a stupid business move.

3. Desprado

Desprado Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780 TI SLI
    Well they will not because they dont there 14% game sale go to hell.

PC market is growing but not for Ubisoft.

4. Ji1986

Ji1986 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX670 OC SLI
    I have avoided this game at all costs, so much hype and turned out to be a very average game, so many of my friends bought it the day it came out and still havnt completed it because there are simply better things to do like scratch your nuts.

i would like to try it eventually, maybe when its on sale for $5

5. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    top-notch gpu
    self edited pointless rant. Sorry, gotta remember not to post without getting the proper amount of sleep.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  6. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    You could poke the bag of piss and then tape it and then poke it again...

In other news today I played Blacklist. I don't get it. On one hand its such an awesome port, wonderful performance, yet look at the turd watch_dogs is. Why did this happen?

7. Kezen

Kezen Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Different teams handling ports with varying budgets and ressources.
    Simple.

Why would you expect the same quality across so many games ? It's obvious some ports will turn out much better than others because plannings and ressources are not always extensible.
    Watch Dogs had a very troubled development and unsurprisingly every sku suffered.
    PC being the least of Ubisoft's worries we can look forward catastrophic PC releases regardless of the engines used.
    I have good reasons to believe AC Unity and Far Cry 4 are next. Stuttering, laughable optimization and stability.
    Going to be great.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  8. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Say Ubisoft spent X resources on PC for Blacklist. Given the results of the game, why wouldn't you give that same studio the task for all PC ports with same resources?
    Is it company policy, or they are working on different projects?
    Or is it they don't care?

9. Kezen

Kezen Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Not all PC ports require the same amount of ressources, each game is different in scope. It's likely that Watch Dogs has been way too complex and the PC version ended up understaffed. This is my hypothesis at least.

They could very well have allocated more ressources though, I hope they don't cheap out for Unity. Otherwise we will pick up the slack. :(

10. Goldie

Goldie Banned

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    got the game running nice again, at 75fps this time, the new cpu seems to cushion the stuttering while driving and when it happens it isn't nearly as bad.
    running unpatched version :D
    I only changed the fxdeferred from console to pc, and removed mouse acceleration.

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    How did you unpatch the game? And the fxdeferred setting is a placebo effect BTW.

12. Goldie

Goldie Banned

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    redownloaded game then afterwards deleted the two patch files, like gaming wiki says.

13. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I wouldn't say that PC is the least of Ubisoft's worries. PC gaming is on the up and up, and is forecasted to increase in popularity and sales, not decrease.

Neglecting the PC will hurt their bottom line (especially in the long run), as the PC is part of the next gen (or current gen I should say) triumvirate a long with the Xbox One and PS4. PS3 and Xbox 360 will eventually go the way of the dodo, especially for massive AAA titles and I don't think Ubisoft wants to become a console only developer as they are one of the biggest developers in the World.. Also, the profit margins are higher and selling cycles longer on PC so you can't just compare sales numbers between the platforms and come to a valid conclusion as to the worth of developing for PC..

According to a post on the Steam forums, the stuttering issue on PC is now the focus so they are definitely working to fix it. But this problem should never have been an issue, and Ubisoft will pay for it with their credibility with PC gamers..

I think what happened was that Ubisoft overestimated the performance of the next gen consoles, and then subsequently had to downgrade the graphics and resolution to get the game to run with adequate performance on PS4 and Xbox One. This also caused resources to be taken from the PC development team, leading to the current issues.

Watch Dogs doesn't actually perform badly at all when it's not stuttering. My PC easily locks the game at 60 FPS with V-sync on. But the stuttering can be very jarring at times..

And the PC version still looks significantly better than the PS4 version when everything is on ultra..

14. Goldie

Goldie Banned

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    feels great to be back in this game, I was surprised how uber it looks after three weeks away and starting over again.

adaptive v sync @75fps
    http://i.imgur.com/fhFrNHE.jpg

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    SLI-756 confirmed. Please switch back to your old user name I liked it more.

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  17. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    test
    ok the other can be killed if you like, i'll use this now.

18. Kezen

Kezen Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Hi Goldie.

Anyone saw this coming a mile away if you ever wondered. You're not very good at alt-accounting.

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    You only need one account..

Why have more?

20. Kezen

Kezen Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Attention whoring.

Tell that to Ubisoft, the overall growth of the PC gaming market cannot be argued but some segment might see a bigger one. How do PC releases fare in the AAA world ? Serious question as I have only few meaningful datas.
    12% of the overall sales won't make Ubisoft spend more on their PC skus that's for sure.

I definitely agree that PC shares much in terms of core platform assessments with the newly released consoles and this is something that will help the PC platform staying relevant when it comes to AAA releases, unfortunately relevant does not mean it won't get the short end of the stick when ressources have to be split. We have seen it before with the previous gen (unoptimized/rushed ports galore) and I have no reason to believe this will change anytime soon. Ubisoft's AAA IPs apparently do not sell enough on PC to make the platform a priority.
    I'm well aware PC sales have longer tails but I'd question the validity of this argument because we don't know how much more PC version sales after X amount of time, and again if those sales were considerable wouldn't Ubisoft be enticed to take more care about their PC versions ? Something does not add up. No one hates money and the only reason I can see why Ubisoft would be so adamant on releasing cursory PC ports is because finantially it's not worth it. I'm not an Ubisoft apologist but in the videogame industry it all comes down to ROI.
    The PC is strong enough as a platform to be part of the targetted platforms but not much beyond that, at least this is what I get out of Ubisoft's PC efforts. It's nice to fellate the PC platform, I do that too but at the end of the day one has to come to the conclusion that it must not bring that much in terms of raw revenues to take precedence over the console skus.
    Ubisoft's sales data seem to correlate this idea, unfortunately. 12% isn't that bad (nearly a million unit shipped) but that's low when you compare to the PS4 version. I can only assume it will be Ubisoft's lead platform in the future.

Get a grip : this has been going on for a very long time. They have always released problematic PC ports. Watch Dogs is hardly an exception and no need to be a soothsayer to predict more are to come. Far Cry 3 for instance was plagued by stuttering (caused by random shader compilations) for a lot of players. I could take several other examples to support my claim that Ubisoft don't care for the PC platform and have positively zero interest in making it grow.
    I take no joy in saying this in case you wondered.

This is possible I suppose. Next-gen consoles needed more ressources to get there and the PC suffered from that, yeah I can see that happening but it shows once again where their priorities lie.

Considering how it looks and what hardware you pack that's hardly what I'd call an achievement or a tour de force regarding optimization. This game looks decidedly cross-gen. Poor quality assets and shading across the board.
    Just compare it with AC Unity.
    Well at least we can look forward a visually astonishing Watch Dogs 2.

On a 1.84tflops GPU ? Yeah I don't think so.
    That's a Pyrrhic victory if I've ever seen one.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014