Watch Dogs Game Discussion Pt 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ricardonuno1980, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Oh I agree, but again that's besides the point. It's an issue with ethics, and an issue with not using full potential. Not too mention the work has been DONE (as seen with TheWorse mods). Ubisoft created a much more detailed and beautiful world and then disabled a lot of the beauty and features.

2. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    Definitely, it's a good game underneath all this turmoil.
    It's undeniable that Ubisoft should have handled the whole affair much better.

PC gamers value transparency and honestly. It's okay not to go all out on the PC version because we know that ressources are not always extensible but hidding all that and keep pretending that the graphics have not been toned down is making fun of your PC audience.

I agree as well. :)
    No reason to hold back things in the PC world. It's a flexible platform and Ubisoft should always keep that in mind.
    I don't know about you but I don't care how demanding certain features can be as long as they can be turned off. At worst I just couldn't take advantage of them right away but I'm not bothered my those things.
    As I've said replaying old games with maxed out settings is something I genuinely love to do.
    I'm upset too few developpers push the tech much further on PC, this is the only platform where you can ship software ahead of the hardware !
    Thing about that for a second, isn't that wonderful ?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Ive been thinking ive seen the trees and artstyle in WD somewhere else before..

[​IMG]

Anyone recognize this screenshot?
    SC Conviction was originally meant to be an open-city game like WD, where you go on such missions and collect your gear and make friends along the way.

I wonder if they reused the old and un-used assets from the city that got cut from SCc? Would explain the bland looking daytime gfx.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  4. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Splinter Cell Conviction, but I cheated ;)

5. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    Reusing assets is very common given how expensive they are.
    If you pay attention you will also notice some ACIII rocks.

Don't forget as well that the Disrupt engine takes some stuff from Splinter Cell's engine.

6. Plissken

Plissken Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    I can now confirm that the stuttering issue, at least in my experience, was partly due to a bottleneck caused by my old CPU as I upgraded my i5 2500k with a i7 4970 today and the lowest frame rate I've been getting from the game (at ultra settings) which was 21 increased straight to 35s right after the upgrade. It's still a poor performance but at least the stuttering is finally gone for me.

So Morin was not joking when he said the following about running the game at ultra settings: http://goo.gl/0WPwTL

I think we can conclude that the game is highly cpu-bound as it is. Still a clear example of bad optimization though, when you consider the fact that a CPU with a passmark score of 9.000-10.000 means the absolute best line of CPUs available on the market that your money can buy, just to play the game without stutters at a reasonable frame rate which doesn't even look that unique to begin with.

Now if only I had an Nvidia card instead.

PS. Forget about the ultra textures though, they're still plaguing the game with horrible stutters for me even though I have more than enough VRAM (4GB).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  7. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    I've been out of the loop : has the patch supposed to adress the stuttering issue been released ?

I remember a 40mb or so patch a few days ago fixing corrupted saves.

8. Plissken

Plissken Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    It was released a couple of days ago, but I don't think the patch improved performance at all. To be honest I feel like it did nothing, and some users even reported that the stuttering was worse for them after the patch.

9. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    What a shame.

10. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    New patch is being worked on.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    If they optimized the game correctly you wouldn't need such a powerful system just to make it run correctly..

My brother has a R9 290 with an AMD FX 8350 with 8GB DDR3 1600 ram... and even then it is still not smooth.. I built that System for him, it is a very powerful PC, he can play BF4 and it is like liquid smooth...

Yet this game... just sigh..

Well fingers crossed for the next patch.

12. rodrigoles

rodrigoles Master Guru

GPU:
    Rx 5600 XT
    you should definitely give the_worse's 0.8 mod with maldo's texture a try. I've tested here quickly on ultra, temporal smaa and high textures(and i suspect they look better than high vanilla textures), racing through downtown and noticed only small hitches compared to the utterly annoying stutterings. on side note, i capped the game at 30 fps.

i believe you'll get much better results with your superior cpu and vram.

13. machine4578

machine4578 Guest

GPU:
    GEForce GTX 660 2GB
    lets hope its actually helps this time..

14. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    Do you have a source ? I can't find anything on the Ubisoft forums.

15. Plissken

Plissken Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    rodrigoles,

I've tried a previous version of Maldo's mod but there was a heavy aliasing issue, now that he says he added mipmaps to almost all textures I can give it another try with the latest version, thank you.

Kezen,

They play it pretty close to the chest when it comes to updates, but given that the latest update was a numbered one, I think it'd be safe to assume that they're planning on releasing future patches. I'm pretty sure they're not going to give an ETA though, just like they did with the last patch. We weren't even sure if it was getting worked on until they finally came out and released it.

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That's definitely the case for me...stuttering is much worst post-new patch than it was with the previous build and on the exact same settings. I see no other differences except for a version number on the main menu.

I wish I could revert to the older build personally, especially as TheWorse's v0.7+Fix mod worked great and reduced almost all the stuttering except for the odd minor hitch while driving. The annoying thing is that the v0.8 mod actually performs worse (no pun intended) than the newly patched game which stuttering even while walking around, effectively rendering the game borderline playable. As such I've had to do a Validate/Repair to return the game back to its vanilla state to just be playable.

I have zero faith in the developers ever fixing this stuttering issue so I'm hoping that TheWorse or some other modder can so I can get back to playing this game.

17. Essenthy

Essenthy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti 6GB
    i dont think the downgrade was on purpose , the E3 demo was the original pc version that we should have got, but when they got the consoles dev kits ( remember the demo was in 2012 way before the ps4 xbone were released ) they couldnt make the e3 build work on them because of low spec or other problems ,so they had to re build it

and since its multiplatforme the pc version that we have now run nearly exactly like the consoles version, they cant have two team working on two version of the game, that would be just insane resources wise and its not worth it for the Pc market , thats what i conclude from browsing the games files and changing the settings myself, the E3 settings are there , some works, some are buggy, and some simply point to null values ( E3 binhex hash point to presets that do not exist or are incompatible )

am sure if you take a look at the console version data , you'll find them being pretty similar to the pc version structure, and since the pc version and the console are the same build and it was mainly optimized for console, we a heavily bottlenecked version on PC

but am sure in the log run and modding the game, we're gonna have something very close to the E3 demos, both 2012 and 2013, but by that time, Watch dogs 2 will be announced and will blow away WD1

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  18. pondcy

pondcy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 Classified
    Personally I have the most fun creating chaos and flying around the city on a crotch rocket.

It's funny that Aiden can drive 120mph straight into a brick wall and live but he dies from a 20ft drop.

19. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Yup that's what I've been doing as well, hardly touched the story yet and still enjoying it, on Realistic some of the gang hideouts can be quite the challenge :)

20. Plissken

Plissken Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    Darren,

That's curious, because it seems like we have similar configs. May I suggest you something though, with TW 0.8 mod installed, you might want to try changing the in-game graphics preset to custom, and set your gamerprofile.xml to "read only". I believe that would render TW 0.8's tweaks inactive, see if that helps your fps.

Thanks again to rodrigoles for the heads up, now I can use ultra textures with the help of Maldo's latest texture hack (included in TW 0.8) and it doesn't make the game stutter. Finally! :)