1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watch AMD E3 Next Horizon Gaming Event & Livestream - NAVI and Ryzen 3000 Announcements

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 10, 2019.

1. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    To be fair they look decent because RTX is not very good to begin with (imo). If the basic 5700 would perform like a 2700 then yeah that would be awesome at this price but i don't see much to get excited about as a 1070 owner. The 5700 wont be good enough and the XT will simply be too expensive for what it is in canada like the 2700 is. I guess i'll have to wait next year to upgrade my GPU. At this point my 1070 will be 3 years old ...

2. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    If you're at 1080p 60 FPS your 1070 is probably still fine imo. AMD is definitely targeting 1440p with this generation... I keep hoping that they are holding back a 5800 series GPU to counter whatever NVIDIA will do to counter the 5700 series.

Overall my GTX 1080 Ti pre-order is definitely the best pre-order I've ever done in any area. :p

Embra likes this.
  3. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 270X DC2 TOP
    Haha, nice try for trolling.

The refresh prices of the 2070 ($399) 2080($599). AMD failed to deliver. They are functioning, really sad, with outdated information. CPU yes. GPU was hoping...just no.

After NV lowers prices, AMD can also lower those, so I don't get your point.

4. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    I'm at 2k144Hz and the 1070 is struggling a little bit. Not too bad but still i could use an upgrade just not willing to pay 800$ CAD for one that is worthwhile. Yeah the 1080 and 1080Ti were far better buy than the 1070. Was worth spending the extra.

5. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    Is this common practice betwen you and @Fox2232 to start your point by schooling/giving lectures? This kind of comment is purely out of place, i would gladly compare diploma and higher education if that's what is needed to keep the arrogance a notch down.

Your point is that "the law established is that when straining the CPU, increasing thread count allows you to multitask", in other words: a 12 cores CPU can handle more tasks in parallel than a 8 cores CPU, who knew?
    I doubt there's any sane people in the world that would dare question this utterly trivial fact.

If the whole point of this slide was to showcase this, they could have spare their time.

My initial statement is this:

What i wanted to point out here is the disconnection between real streaming configurations used today, which allows 2014 300$ CPU owners like me to stream at 4K60, and what AMD put together for their presentation to showcase their CPU extra computing capabilities over their direct competition unable to stream 1440p.

"You need extra cores an threads to be able to provide quality streaming at 1440p and beyond" is what i was adressing.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    @XenthorX : Only disconnection is yours. It is from reality of the world. Most of people here hope to water their garden. You ask for flood.
    I have 15Mbps upload for 100Mbps download. That's quite common. Streaming while playing requires one to have spare bandwidth to ensure lag-free game.
    Sparing just 2 Mbps for gaming would leave your scenario w/ 4 times as high bandwidth for streaming (or more since 55Mbps is what you use and not your limit).

So it stands, that your original argument is still good for nothing. NVENC is inferior solution to CPU encode. Because there is no way to ignore image quality per bandwidth.
    Do you remember Xilinx for example? Their streaming service ASICs? What's their benefit? Comparable IQ to competition while having quite smaller bandwidth.
    Do you know why? Because bandwidth matters.

For example Google Stadia states that their 4K comes at 35Mbps. That's still 15.7GB/hour.

Then AMD compared apples to apples. People mostly use CPUs or GPUs for streaming. Not special streaming HW.
    Therefore comparing CPU to CPU was fair in limits of scenario... which was unfair due to heavy enough settings that killed intel's chip.
    They could have as well selected something like CBR 55Mbps and it would just work with great IQ on both platforms. Everyone can push a lot of data when there is only minimal processing.

Then you have GPU to GPU comparison. One would wonder which is better now in between AMD and nV. But existence of GPU encoding does not invalidate CPU encoding.
    (At least for now.)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  7. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    CPUs seem amazing, I just hope that there will be affordable motherboards, because right now their starting prices are around cheaper models of CPUs.

On the other hand the GPUs are a bit disappointing, the performance is basically fine, it should be a good 1440p GPU. A bit better rtx2070, so what's not to like ? But the pricing is kinda meh. It will be 500 for aftermarket models of what is essentially mid-range card. I expected those to be at least 50$ cheaper, but I guess we'll see what NVIDIA will do. If they lower the prices it can get very interesting.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    depends on workload, im curious to see if dual channel memory isn't infact too little for a 12 or 16core chip.

9. Embra

Embra Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    Thanks HH and Guru team for all the great info and updates!!!

10. Ricardo

Ricardo Member

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    If you can find the link, I would very much like to see it :)

I totally agree that tradeoffs must be made, but also believe that we're in a place where image quality is already very good, so the headroom of the hardware can be spent in better ways than simply "4k 60fps". I, for one, would rather play a game with some raytracing in 1080p 60fps than a 4k 60fps without any of it.

I'm not saying we should drop traditional methods of rendering right now. But make no mistake, these will be replaced over time, it just depends on how fast hardware will evolve to make it feasible.

The fact that these new consoles will be sporting some fashion of raytracing capabilities is the first step. My guess is that the generation after it will probably use raytracing as the main way of doing most of the lighting, if they come in 7+ years (typical console lifespan nowdays).