Was 6811 WU dropped? {Nope}

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by J_J_B, Nov 23, 2010.

1. J_J_B

J_J_B Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA: 2xSLI 580HC, 480HC
    Did Stanford drop project 6811? My machine last downloaded a 6811 WU on Nov. 19th and it has been folding 6800 WUs, plus a single 11252, ever since. I suppose many folders would not complain if 6811 were dropper early due to its higher power consumption, heat, and rate at which many overclocked GPUs were erroring on this WU. I saw a huge increase in power consumption and heat output with 6811 myself, but my 480 is under water with a stable overclock so it never errored. I didn't see much of a drop in PPD, though I understand that lower clocked GPUs, with fewer shader cores, did see such a drop.

I read a post on another forum in which it was suggested that Stanfard add the ability for the GPU3 client to restrict the more advanced of the "advmethod" work units, such as 6811, to certain classes of GPUs - perhaps base the threshold on some number of shader cores along with a minimum clock speed. The thing is, it seems like they took it down too early to get enough feedback/data. This is a beta client after all. I only folded 5 such units myself.

My machine is pulling about 650 watts while folding a 6800 WU. It was up to 750 watts while folding a 6811 WU. As a base line, it consumes 500 watts when only folding on 7 threads with the SMP2 client and the GPU3 client turned off.

2. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    yer most project will come out on advemthod (late beta) and then slowly and some like the 6800 just come through to ever very quickly to the normal clinet

3. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader Staff Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti
    Nope, Project 6811 is still available on PSummary. AFAIK, 6811 is available to -advmethods flag.

BTW, the current Clients can't send that much amount of data (shader cores, GPU frequencies, etc) to the Servers so that is an incorrect assumption.

However, we do hope that v7 can send sufficent data so that the WUs assigned to that system are "optimum" for that. Of course, we will have to wait and see what features v7 has when is is released for public beta.

4. J_J_B

J_J_B Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA: 2xSLI 580HC, 480HC
    lol... my client just pulled down a 6811. Could tell by the change in capacitor noise and then the 750 watt reading on the meter.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Running 3 of the 6811. ~43k on three GPU's. Can't wait until my 580's get here.