Warning!! Hiper 530W PSU Blew upp

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by w0lfis, Jul 10, 2006.

1. w0lfis

w0lfis Member

GPU:
    2x7970@1000/1500
    http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/hpu-4m530.html

Warning for this PSU mine blew upp after 6 days and i found debreese of cheramic on my desk afterwards..

my girlfriend told me it sounded like a gunshot..

blew the fuses in the apt to so everything blacked out @ home to :S

//Wolfis

2. Sieras

Sieras Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    OMG, that's not so good after all.. but hey,maybe the cause of this wasn't your psu at all..maybe something short-circuited inside/outside your rig and the psu just tried so save himself.. but i may be wrong though.

3. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    its very good that you inform people of bad experiences with a product. but please dont go saying everywhere that that psu sucks because yours blew up, it might have been a dud, or some other environmental factor.

i hope none of your other computer gear got damaged. what kind of system do you have?
    and of course: WELCOME TO GURU3D!

4. MTL

MTL Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTO SLI
    This is actually the second forum in the last two months that I have read about a Hiper product going kaput. You are very, VERY lucky that it didn't toast the rest of your components.

Stick to, quality PSUs. If you are looking for price/performance go with Fortron/Sparkle.

5. Spikep

Spikep Member

GPU:
    HIS X1900XT 512MB (740/833) 3-3-9-9
    my hiper psu has been going for just under a year now, and is running my rig in my user fine.

- Paul

6. ultimate360

ultimate360 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7900GT KO 256MB
    Welcome to Guru3d Forums! w0lfis and spikep

Your lucky your PC surived. :)

7. w0lfis

w0lfis Member

GPU:
    2x7970@1000/1500
    Rig is Amd X2 4200+
    Asus A8N32SLI-Deluxe
    4Gb TwinMOS 2.5,3,3,8 Pc3200
    2x 300GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 Sata2 Disk (Raid)
    2x GF7900 GT 256MB DDR3, SLI
    Hiper 530W PSU ( Or atleast Was :p )
    Thermaltake 745 CPU Water Cooling
    Zalman ZM-GWB2 GPU Water Cooling
    Sum Random DVD burner..

The hardware seems to be ok so far.. i borrowed a PSU from a friend and it seems running good so far....

lets hope theire fast with RMA'ing the PSU

8. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    a system like that is really hard on a psu. did you oc it? because in that case, it could be that the psu gave up due to overload. 7 series sli and a dual core can put pretty much any sub-600W psu to its knees if the components are oc'ed and with added voltage.

9. w0lfis

w0lfis Member

GPU:
    2x7970@1000/1500
    nah no OC. but the system ran fine on a Q-TEC (yes i know **** PSU)
    450W psu b4... and that psu had something like 12amps for 12v rail... (190Wats on the 12 parts, and the rest on 3.3 and 5v)

the hiper one had 2x 12v rails with 18amps each and like 300w for the 12v and 230 for the rest....

so the system ran fine for over 6 months on a a crap psu and explodes after 6 days on a "good" psu :/

10. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    if its not oc'ed that psu should have no problems powering it. it has probably been an environmental factor, or a dud psu, can happen with everything.

11. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Or perhaps Osama Bin Laden aimed at the wrong target and got your pc instead. Sorry your PSU blew up dude.. that sucks.:frown:

12. Luvabud

Luvabud Master Guru

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    been running my hiper for a year now, no problems just keep them clean, you're lucky it didn't damage your pc more

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  13. Jamesusg

Jamesusg Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 8800gts 320
    Lol luckier he’s girlfriend survived and he’s home, screw the pc

14. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 6800 Ultra 425/1120
    Probably dud input capacitor. They're not built to explode, but if someone gets overenthusiastic with the spray on bug repellent or similar sealant, that forms a shell around the cap that traps heat and makes it explode.

If a PC component is dud, you will find out in first few weeks... they get soak tested at production line, but it's not commercially viable to test for more than a day or so.

Ask 'em if you can upgrade to the R580... beefier.

15. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    To be fair, whenever I'm browsing the OCUK Forums I always see a post about a Hiper PSU ceasing to work. Needless to say they're not very highly thought off. This guys case definitely isn't a one off.

16. chris_clark

chris_clark Member

GPU:
    BFG 7800GT OC 256mb
    i have the hiper 580watts modular model and all i can say about it is it is a great psu.

sorry to hear about ur psu blowing up.

17. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    You know this makes me wonder why mine hasn't exploded or something. Every time I go to calculate how much power my computer is using it comes up a lot higher than my PSU is rated for. Got a 430w PSU and without counting the age of the PSU, if it has surge protection, or the fact that my video card is massively OCed it comes up to about 430w. 430w is supposed to be the max the PSU can handle, and on the site it says it won't even do that for a second, so either that calculator is WAY off, or I got a special PSU, you decide. BTW, my PSU is about 6 months old, possibly longer as I don't recall when I purchased it.

I need to get a new PSU anyways.

OK, so to make this post on topic I'd like to say that I've never heard of a PSU exploding before, but I've had my fair share that have died. One took a couple of components with it, but nothing that Fry's Return Policy couldn't handle. I believe I speak for everyone when I say:

CAN WE SEE SOME PICS?

18. carlo247

carlo247 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 9800GTX+ SLI
    pics would be appreciated

19. chris_clark

chris_clark Member

GPU:
    BFG 7800GT OC 256mb
    yea some pics ive never seena exploded one. just ones that cease to work.

20. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    There are a lof of crappy PSUs out there. The heavy load on it probably aggrivated the problem. Go out and get an Enermax or OCz PSU instead.