Warning - Gigabyte 780ti OC and Ghz - don't buy

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Denco, Jul 26, 2014.

1. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 XC3
    Yeah but you don't know what memory is on a video card, generally manufactures use whats available at the time.

My GTX780ti Classified has Hynix memory and I don't have a single problem with the card, I can OC the memory fine.

So if it was the memory brand EVERY card using it would have issues.
    Bit of a broad statement to make.

Doesn't mean other people aren't having problems (wish I kept my video's, I do now lol), out of the 100,000+ of these cards Gigabyte have sold doesn't mean ALL have the fault.
    It could be a small batch from one manufacturing plant, or one batch of dodgy memory.
    But when someone (like myself) gets more than 1 faulty card of 1 brand you tend to move away.

I have no hate toward Gigabyte, there is a problem, they did acknowledge it, and tried a BIOS update to fix it, didn't work now the RMA's roll in for them.
    There is nothing else you can actually do. I was just lucky I found the problem within the 30 day return period.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Sure it is, but if I am able to avoid the chance for such a problem, why not try to do so?

3. WobbleTheHutt

WobbleTheHutt Member

GPU:
    GB 780ti OC SLI
    I lied, I did it tonight. Ran the demo a few times with SLI enabled and SLI disabled, no artifacts. Any chance you could send me the bios from that GHZ edition card Hilbert? I'd like to compare if you have issues.

my cards are running 80.80.34.00.3E and the bios is dated 2/19/14. it was the bios on the first card I got (it was open box from newegg) the second card I got had the bios version 80.80.30.00.1A and it is dated 11/15/13. I immediately flashed the newer bios onto the card. I'm wondering if they loosened memory timings or something along those lines.

4. Denco

Denco Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce 780ti
    I'm very happy that you've decided to investigate this ( I presume you are from Guru3D team ) but please don't be the guy I quoted from another reviewing site.

Like someone already mentioned I could run FurMark, Kombustur, OCCT, 3DMark 13 and Heaven for hours without any issues. Hell I could run games like Crysis 3, Bioshock inf, etc for hours as well and had no isses but as soon as I loaded Metro LL and Rome 2 the game would crash in the next 30 minutes. DCS World froze my whole system. 3DMark 11 had artifacting one that first scene that were so bad it was terrible.

I think that 3DMark 11 stresses memory on the gpu that other test's can. And if other brands are going to show the same artifacting it means they are not working as advertised too. There are people who had artifacting in 3DMark 11 but after exchanging the gpu for another brand it stoped artifacting in 3DMark 11.

I had the latest BIOS on my gpu and it was giving me issues. I honestly believe that many of the 780ti OC / GHz cards that come from Gigabyte are simply unstable.

5. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090 G9 240Hz
    The guy is site owner, the main boss :)

6. Denco

Denco Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce 780ti
    This is good news :)

I hope they found some conclusive results. I'll head down not Nvidia forums and tell them the great news.

7. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 XC3
    This is how mine first started, little glitches then progressively got worse the more I used the card.
    It wasn't a straight out of the box issue.
    I first noticed Assassin Creed 4 having a lot of driver stopped responding issues, where my SLi GTX670's were smooth with no issues.

You then spend hours running tests and it wasn't till I found the Geforce forums thread is when I first tried 3D Mark 11, and boom, little artifacts to start with, then few more the next run.
    If you see over at the Geforce Forums I was standing up for the card to start with, but it just got worse 3 days in.

It bad, but good that you were able to spot something, even if it was small.
    There really should be any issues from a card straight from the box, running stock speeds.

Thanks for taking the time to look into it for us, though I moved away from the Gigabyte card, I am interested in the outcome.

Don't worry Denco, you can trust Hilbert, hence why his reviews are the first I read when looking for new hardware (though I didn't when I bought the GTX780ti Classified, he didn't have a review, unless I missed it..lol) :)

8. Denco

Denco Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce 780ti
    I know. I only read Guru3D reviews when buying new hardware and sadly they didn't had any issues with Gigabyte 780ti OC and their conclusion was great so I bought it.

But just like you I didn't had many issues at first. I only had a complete system freeze 2 days later but I contributed that to some AMD driver leftover or over abused Windows installation. The fan on the gpu also made these wierd noises at first but they stopped after a few days with occasionally showing up every now and then.

The true problems started appearing after 2 weeks when I finally had the time to test the card more. Rome 2 started crashing more frequent. I was unable to play DCS World without it freezing my system. The last straw for me was MetroLL when I finally realized something is wrong.

I was doing complete system test's. Prime95, memtest86+ all showed no problems. I was about to replace my MB, CPU and my PSU in hopes of eradicating my issues when I found the thread in Nvidia forums. I even tried Win 8.1 to see if that fixes my issue but I reverted back because my problems remained and physx runs a lot worse in Win 8.1 than in 7. I've ran 3DMark 11 as soon as I've read the first post and was somehow relieved when I found out that its my gpu not some other hardware.

And now here I am trying to warn people before anyone makes the same mistake and regrets it. Waiting for my RMA card to arrive back and hopping the replacement card will be a working one not a broken one.

9. WobbleTheHutt

WobbleTheHutt Member

GPU:
    GB 780ti OC SLI
    ^^ This I completely believe this is the case.

Hilbert any chance you could toss the OC bios 1020/1080 bios on that card and see if the issues resolve? it could be the card is boosting too high.

10. quickkill2021

quickkill2021 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti sli Poseidon
    I want to share some of my experiences regarding stability of the 780 Ti.

I purchased 2 780 Ti inno3d dhs for sli. When they both came I immediately did stability tests to try my overclock.

I would loop 3d mark Firestone extreme for the night or tomb raider everything max tressfx and 2x smaa for the night as well.

I kept on getting freezing. I would always freeze. When Temps were above 60s I would freeze. I found out that each card can be stable by itself when the case door was open and when there was no second card.

Max Temps for sli was in the 80s.

Instead of returning them I decided to go crazy and try am experiment. I brought 2 kraken g10 and put both underwater. The dhs 780 tis have a great vrm plate so I left that there.

Max Temps under the hottest condition is 55. That's like 8 hours of firestrike or tomb raider or heaven max.

Anyway my crashing was fixed! Running both sli I don't crash anymore.

Only thing is I can't do any overclocking . It's like this card shipped with Max overclock. Both cards boost to 1202 with 1.21v. I can't even touch the memory which is 1800 my. But! It'ssuper stable now. No aartifacting no crashing.

I just find it so awkward that my cards would crash with air under 80. But they won't crash if it's 50s.

11. quickkill2021

quickkill2021 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti sli Poseidon
    The reason why I posted was that I would definitely try and put the gigabytes under water to see if that fixes the issue. For me I just had suspicion because in an air conditioned room with 1 card with the case opened I had no issues with my inno3d dhs tis. However with both of them together in a case closed iI had tons of freezing. Put them in water no more issues

12. angmar

angmar Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Founders
    This isn't the first time gigabyte has sold cards with absurdly high out of box clocks with instability. But I agree if your card cannot run these clocks stable than it is false marketing. I mean sure you could raise the voltage or lower the clocks yourself....but you didn't buy that card to do that and I am sure the main reason a lot of people bought these cards was because of the clock speeds alone.

13. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 XC3
    But this isn't the point, if the Windforce card can't cool itself out of the box there is a manufacturing problem and need to be sorted, like they did on the R9 290 cards.

When my old Gigabyte GTX780ti OC edition would artifact I wouldn't see temps over 55c running 3D Mark 11, yes the Hilbert has the Ghz version and its clocked higher, but most who are having issues have the OC version.

The same Windforce cooler in different revised version has been proven to cool a card awesomely, yes it has fans clicking issues (suspended fans often do) and quirks, but it works well..

Inno3d have crappy coolers.
    My new eVGA Classified ticks away at 75/77c 66% fan speed, awesome stock boost, no freezing or other issues. Yes putting it under water will make the card cooler and quieter but it just worked from day one, and I've hammered the card for 2 days with everything that crippled my Gigabyte card.

A card should work OUT OF THE BOX without any secondary costs or modifications, they come after to get better performance and overclocks..lol

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Interesting, I would have thought the inno3d dhs's to still clock higher "easier"... so they just double hand selected those that could go 1200 and not more!
    But imagine what the price is, putting that card under water will cost you a fortune, let alone two of them.

15. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Used to like GB, then I had several bad experiences with their RMA department and let me say that I have seldom dealt with a more rude, surly and unhelpful group.

That was the last time.

Sorry to hear that their cards are not up to scratch :(

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014

16. Gd350turbo

Gd350turbo Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 780 ti OC
    My giga 780 ti OC, work flawless a 1300/7500 mhz...
    Is true that there is some model with a poor stability, but not all suffer this problem !

17. krisby

krisby Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Perhaps this! I've had Windforce on my last 3 cards and found them to be quiet and cool, my current GTX 770OC WF3 barely hit 70C in the heat we've been having in London recently. So perhaps a 780 is just beyond its capabilities.

Just to throw a spanner, many say they've had problems with Gigabyte, but I've been using them for Mobos and Graphics cards for the past 14 years, twice I have deviated and regretted it with other brands being noisy and hot or DOA.

18. smoothchat

smoothchat New Member

GPU:
    GTX780ti
    Glad to see I'm not alone with problems with my Gigabyte GTX780ti GHz.

I have to underclock to avoid TDR issues.

I just put it down to aggressive factory overclocking.

Latest drivers put a spanner in the works though because they will not allow Memory clock UNDERClocking.

[Update] -- Memory Underclocking now works in 340.52 whql woohoo!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  19. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 XC3
    Its not really helpful when people are going "mine works".
    Yes its not EVERY GTX780ti Windforce card, it seems to be a batch of cards.

Not everyone here and over at other forums are wrong.
    I'm glad people were lucky enough to get working card.

The Windforce cooler for the GTX780ti's was completely revised, it has a metal fan shroud instead of the usual plastic one, there is also a back plate.

Taken from Hilbert's review:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-780-ti-windforce-3x-review,1.html
    "with a new revision 450W WindForce X3 cooler"

Now the one thing I noticed back when I had my card, in Hilbert's review the card has a 8+6 pin power connectors, mine had 8+8 pin connectors.
    Could that show different revisions of the card itself.

What are peoples power connectors 8+6 or 8+8?

20. Denco

Denco Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce 780ti
    Mine is 8+8.