Warning: 77.72 can mess up your card dont be a fool and save your self.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NvidiaFreak, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Quad X

Quad X Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960
    that doesnt support my specific card but i could still try it i guess.

Like i said in a earlier post, i cant reinstall directx 9.0c; but i found some site with older directx files for download and got directx 9.0b instead. i did try to install 9.0c after this, but it still doesnt work for some reason. But i also noticed, it said on the microsoft downlad page for 9.0c redist that it "cannot be uninstalled". maybe thats the problem. the installer thinks that 9.0c is still on my computer so it aborts copying the files or something. even though im using 9.0b now....

ok sorry, i should be talking about this in the other thread, ill stop now.

2. darkrenegade80

darkrenegade80 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG NVIDIA 6800 Ultra 256 OC AGP
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2005
  3. Quad X

Quad X Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960
    bah! nothing ever works! this popped up:

"warning: your microsoft windows xp home edition cd-rom already include sp2 package, that means rollback of 8.1
    from current cd-rom is not original. you need a cd-rom that no include with any service pack"

I dont have a cd-rom without any service packs. all we have is a restore cd which didnt work, so i took my dad's upgrade home edition disc and this it what it said. so.. am i screwed or am i screwed? it does have the option to continue anyways, should i do that or no?

[edit] do you(renegade80) by any chance have an instant messenger? i could just talk to you on there and save some time[/edit]

4. darkrenegade80

GPU:
    Yeah Sure do will PM you it will try and help you best I can

That un-installer I linked you to can also remove older versions of directx so I'd just reccomend getting rid of all traces of directx and then running the dx9c redestributables.

5. Quad X

Quad X Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960
    ok, what do you have? i have msn, yahoo, xfire, and aim

6. darkrenegade80

GPU:
    Sent you a PM

7. where did all this hl2 stuff come from? he wanted to run dx9.0 in general not just for one game. he'll need 3danalyze for that.

8. Quad X

Quad X Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960
    if i can figure out how to use 3d analyze, then i will... but anyways, i was thinking of oc'ing my computer using the nVidia option in the nVidia control panel thing. But i dont know what to set it on. i want it on lowest setting of oc'ed because i dont want to screw up my computer. im hesitant to use oc'ing

9. use rivatuner. oc the core ten mhz at a time then play some games for a while to test for stability. keep doing this until you start getting freezing/artifacts/crashing then underclock 10mhz. for memory i wouldn't oc it over 100mhz even if past 100mhz oc the memory seems stable. many times memory may seem stable but after a while on a major oc it will fubar on you.

10. Quad X

Quad X Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960
    ok thanx for telling me this.

11. Horngate

Horngate New Member

GPU:
    Evga 6200 agp 128 bit 256 meg
    This is making me sooo angry... valve **** is still broken. I made sure i did the reinstall of the drivers right. Bottom line is, if you have an FX 5200 DO NOT USE 77.72 drivers. Save yourself some heartache. Ugh. Ill have to uninstall them again and just go back to 77.30 b/c otherwise, ill never be able to play any valve games (you know why, dumb message popping up saying " you need directx 7.0" but i have 9.0c!!!!)posted by Quad X

Because 77.72 does something to valve and you have to delete the profiles of the games to get them to work right.

12. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

yes you have to delete the profiles for the games to work

its due to a flaw in the 77.72's sli profiles on anything not supporting sli

13. mjc

mjc Member

GPU:
    Many both ATI and Nvidia
    Ok I am having the same kind of problems after the drivers were installed.
    And yes drivers can in fact mess a video card up for good.
    This card will not work in any other system properly now with any drivers. Thanks for liftime warranty.
    Nvidia needs to do more testing before they release drivers that may render a card usless.

14. xtaxy2

xtaxy2 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Asylum GEforce FX 5200 256Mb AGP
    We have the same video card(Look at my Comp. Spec. on your right), 77.62 & 77.72 works fine here.But at present,am usin 80.40 that works really great for my card and system too.

15. Quad X

Quad X Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960
    oh , well it doesnt matter about those profiles now cause im not using those drivers anymore. But thanx for the info.

[edit]We have the same video card(Look at my Comp. Spec. on your right), 77.62 & 77.72 works fine here.But at present,am usin 80.40 that works really great for my card and system too.[/edit]

Well, you dont have EXACTLY the same card, but hmm.. thats just weird. I guess it was just the profiles problem. (i never really tested any other games but i didnt care cause i wanted valve to work!)

16. FolkLore

FolkLore Member

GPU:
    Gainward 5900XT@stock
    I dont know how the hell the 77.72 passed WHQL certification(Microsoft sleeping?)...Its bugged, what with all the gamma crap and the inability to run HL2 on Geforce FX cards.

I myself use a Gainward GFX5900XT and i cant run HL2, just like all the other FX users running 77.72. Im not as unlucky as nvdiafreak though, a few days after installing 77.72, my graphics card is still working, just no HL2 for me. ALSO, i get intermittent BSODs when i exit Warcraft 3. NONE of these problems existed before i switched to these WHQL certified driver (*snicker*).

17. nihilistic0

nihilistic0 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTS250 (760/1100)
    I ran driver cleaner, and went to 71.89, and now source is working fine again

77.72 = ****

18. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    wish i read this b4 i installed this 10 mins ago ...><

19. xtaxy2

xtaxy2 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Asylum GEforce FX 5200 256Mb AGP
    Mine is BFG(manufacturer)-Asylum GeForce 5200 w/ 256MB AGP..Does'nt have any problems w/ this 3 latest driver.

20. Raptess

Raptess Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX780
    Well as reluctant as I am to agree with the original poster about the drivers damaging his card, I have to agree with him.

I have a 6800GT, and have been running with no problems at all until I installed 77.72 drivers.. Since then my games have stutter, artifacting and some plain just dont run.

Over the last week it has gotten worse. Ive been getting BSoD errors in almost every game I play, and to top it off I am lucky now to have my PC run for 10-15mins without a BSoD just on the desktop with nothing running.

I removed the 77.72 drivers and changed back to 71.89, and now the problems continue.

I have also swapped out my card with a friend, and his card works fine in my PC, and mine is having the same problems in his PC.

Luckily my 6800GT is still under warranty, and will be sent back in the morning.