Warning: 77.72 can mess up your card dont be a fool and save your self.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NvidiaFreak, Jun 30, 2005.

1. xtaxy2

xtaxy2 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Asylum GEforce FX 5200 256Mb AGP
    HDD regenerator,that's a nice move if you have your O/S installed,but usin LOW LEVEL format is much better,this way your hard disk is the same as brand new one,it will mark your hard disk to 0...Now if your hard disk is full of bad sectors and low level format can't handle it nomore,so,it's jaz time to buy a new HD....So try first a LOW LEVEL format b4 sayin that your V.CARD was damaged by video driver...Thx.

2. Phosgene

Phosgene Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS N6600GT DDR3 128MB AGP 1100mhz/550mhz
    nvidiafreak crys too much

3. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    i am crying because now i am going to miss my games like gta sa and CS S. plus i am going on a trip in a few days and when i come back i will start school >_< thx guys for your help. i am greatfull. look like i will go to ati now no more nvidia for me

4. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    *Shrug* -- don't let the door hit you on the way out.

It's not the driver BTW. There's a reason why those cards run at the speed the manufactor thinks is ok. Same for locked pipes/shaders. Your card just met a premature EOL.

5. Jason_25

Jason_25 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6600 GT OC/17" HP CRT
    Good luck with ATI and all. Way to junk a good videocard because you can't keep driver corruption under control.

6. BEERandSEX

BEERandSEX Active Member

GPU:
    ATI X1950XT
    Your gonna love ATI i have the x800xt pe and haven't looked back since.Not to sound like a fan boy but i always have used Nvidia since the gx 400 and i am really happy with the way all my games perform.Welcome

7. bread

bread Guest

That's not going to help you, because by the sound of your ranting you'll break your ATI card in no time too.

Using the 77.72 drivers with no problems right now, as are thousands (if not millions) of other people.

8. Martys Web

Martys Web Don Santino Corleone

GPU:
    XFX 7600gt
    This should be called "This is what happens when I overclock my video card then try everything everyone says and do not leave things alone."

Not "Warning: 77.72 can mess up your card dont be a fool and save your self."

Hell I have not tryed drivers since the 67.22 drivers and since my system works flawless on all games and programs you could not pay me to tweek anything. By the way drivers cannot kill your card....

9. IGNITE

IGNITE Guest

Well Put!

10. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    yea, very difficult to damage hardware through software.

:eek: did nvidiafreak say he was going ati? wow...

11. Imhotep

Imhotep Active Member

GPU:
    PNYGeforce9800GTEE1GBDDR3
    I think there is a setting off still in memory with that driver. When you uninstall a driver its probably a good idea to uninstall every other program for the card as well, like riva tuner, then reinstall the new driver. If this still doesnt work start the computer in safe mode and make sure all settings are set at default, then restart and install drivers.
    It sounds like windows remembers settings and your monitor doesn't like them.

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    what about using those data shredder programs that overwrite, thas what i always use before reinstalling, does it fix the same problems like bad secotors, should a low level format be used once in a while
    i'm downloading one now to try for next time, surely after a couple years of use it could use it if overwriting doesnt do the same things

13. xtaxy2

xtaxy2 Active Member

GPU:
    Data shredder nor normal reformat can't eliminate those bad sectors,it stays there,not like the low level format,it turns your hard disk to like new purchase hard disk when succesfully done..cuz it writes 0'es again to your hard disk,You can use this anytime,if you knew that your HD has a bad sector usin utilities from m'soft or Norton.

14. xtaxy2

xtaxy2 Active Member

GPU:
    For me,the best thing on how to uninstall the video driver is this: First,go to Control panel, add-removed programs,find the 'nvidia driver' and remove.Restart your computer,then run the 'det rip'(or other utilities to terminate all nvidia driver in the registry)when done,Go to START,click on SEARCH,hit the 'For files or Folders.Click on All Files and Folders...Then in 'All or Part of the File Name':,Type "nv*.*"(w/o the quote).Then in ' Look In'
    drop down box,choose (C:)-drive or to where your system32 resides(cuz sometimes there is 1 comp. w/2 or 3 O/S'es),then hit the SEARCH..delete all those found(note:be sure it's for nvdia drivers 'only')...Now you can install your new driver and enjoy.

15. mattinator

mattinator New Member

GPU:
    Leadtek WinFast A400 TDH / GeForce 6800 (16x1,6vp)
    tried graphics card in onother computer ?

I'm working over 15 years in IT brache and have seen computers beginning at IBM XT PC (http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/ibmxt/). Naturally the use of computers in business is another thing than gaming pc's, but there did no computer or hardware component die by software. One thing I've learned is that the problems we see on a computer often not are the reasons because they happen.

But I don't want to disabuse you (NvidiaFreak), lets try to help you keep your (good) 6800 working.
    If your computer is booting up to windows system kernel the basic function of your graphics card is ok. It's nevertheless possible that components demaged that are not used on BIOS boot operation (vertex and / or pixel shader and so on ...).
    Now one way to exclude the source of your problems is to change your components step by step. Find an similar computer of a friend or another one, save system configuration, put your graphics card in to it and check the function. It's better to use the driver last worked in your computer. Than you should see if your card is really defective. If it works, what I think, the best way is to reinstall windows completely. It is likely possible to find the reason of your problem in your existing installation, but my expirience is that under those circumstances the new installing is the faster way.

I hope you anderstand my english, I've to read much english in my job, but writing is another thing (I'm from germany).

16. ~354~CaptWalt

~354~CaptWalt New Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 6800 Ultra
    77.72 WHGL

77.72 works for me as well....except on iL2 / FB / AEP / PF 4.01.
    On that game it has major graphics issue with a lot of model and damage textures missing on most of the aircraft and in particular the Pacific Fighters planes and the recent plane additions with patch 4.01m.
    These anomalies do not happen pre 77.XX series drivers.

17. I am absolutely believing what the original poster said!

A friend of mine installed the 77.72 whql on his 6800gt and he got strange (electric) noise things appear on the Fillrate of 3dmark2003, he never overclocked or tweaked his card, then he got strange textures in many games looking like squares and messed up graphics.

the speed increase of this driver is undeniable, but not worth it.
    i am using the 77.50 and they work beautifully, my friend 6800GT works great with 77.50 and he didndt suffer (luckily) the problem described by original poster.

Something is up with nvidia driver, secret overclocking maybe, messed up vertex/pixel shader?

i can only speculate, but i do believe him.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2005
  18. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    funny thing you say that. from a few threads i've read on nvnews it does seem nvidia is doing some stealth oc'ing with the 7800gtx... could just be a bug though. i'll see if i can find the threads.

here's one. not the first thread of it's kind i've seen... http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52813

Last edited: Jul 3, 2005
  19. Terwin

Terwin Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA PCIe 7800GTXKO 540/1305 SLI G7
    Driver corruptions are usually caused by overclocking and user error. Are you OCing anything? Boot into safe mode and reinstall all your computer drivers, not just the video drivers. Usually consistant to pushing your system ram too hard. Are you overclocking your ram any? Did you test it using memtest86 for awhile? Tweak it and run test 5 and 8 on it for a few hours. If it can do that, you'll be more stable.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2005
  20. interesting read on NVNEWS, i couldnt believe when read about someone mention secret overclock too.

doesnt even sound like 7800 gtx specific, card of Nvidiafreak is 6800..hmm, strange. :eek: