Warning: 77.72 can mess up your card dont be a fool and save your self.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NvidiaFreak, Jun 30, 2005.

1. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    i am so fu*king piss right now. Nvidia, how could you put a driver that can mess someone gfx card up. and people dont let this happen to u and uninstall the 77.72 driver as quick as ya can because the bug ya was saying about is not the only bug there.

this is what happen to me and my card.

since june 23 2005 everything was prefect and nice and then i got a error on CS S saying i dont have dx 9 on my pc so i restart my pc and ran it again and it told me that i need dx 7 to play this game and i am like WTF i have dx 9.0.c. then i try a other game and i got the same error that DX is not install on my pc and when i ran the dx 9.0.c it say everything is fine. then it was late and i turn off my pc and went to sleep then i woke up and turn my pc on then i uninstall the driver and install the 71.89 driver and everything went fine then i reboot and everything seem normal but when it about to start window it dont show nothing there then my pc monitor light turn yellow then a few seconds later it reboot and wont let me go to my window xp. then i go to safe mode and uninstall it and then i reboot and i can go to the window xp in normal mode but i cant install driver on my card now since 77.72 fu*k my card up. and dont say uninstall it and use driver cleaner pro in safe mode because i did that and now my card only run with out the driver install on my pc but i cant see movies or play games now. also i reformat my hd and install windows xp and it did't work and i took my card out and put it back again and install windows xp pro and i get the same thing but now when i install a driver and reboot then i go to windows i get the BOSD. please guru i need your help and skills because i want to play games, see moves and enjoy my pc. not only this happen to me but to my friends in school too. 10 out of 18 people card are 6800 and there card cant install the nvidia driver on there pc now because of the 77.72 driver.

2. Matariel

Matariel Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX285
    Dude, the driver could not have possibly stuffed up your video card, its WHQL certified for a start, and unless somehow the clock settings were wildly changed by a corrupted file, i dont see how in the world i could have physically damaged your video card.

It just sounds like your harddrive was corrupted somehow, wreaking the registry or system files. Not the driver's fault.

3. dadash

dadash Active Member

GPU:
    6800GT @ Ultra
    The 77.72 is definitely very buggy.
    The video overlay is catastrophic.
    I'm using the 77.50 for best compatibility for the time being untill nvidia pull themselves together and bring out a decent whql

4. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    but how come when i uninstall it i can log into windows but when i install it i cant go to windows anymore. btw will it save the proble if i do the 2hr reformat or the quick one.

5. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    Been working great for me.

6. Todorov

Todorov Active Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT Extreme Edition PCIEx (N0-0C)
    same here, 77.72 boost my fps

7. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Master Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Maybe the driver is corrupted, try to redownload it from officjal site, the WHQL version.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_77.72.html

For me too, but I've got 6600GT.

8. Garak

Garak Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 280 GTX OC
    Yea it wasn't the driver.
    If your card is dead now and blue screens everytime you load a proper driver, well your card died. So you had the latest driver installed at the time, doesn't mean that it caused it.

Does the blue screen reference the nv4disp file?

9. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
    77.72 gave me the video overlay "white screen" stuff. imho it's a buggy driver, I went back to 77.30 all is well

10. xtaxy2

xtaxy2 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Asylum GEforce FX 5200 256Mb AGP
    It haappens also to one of my customer,his hard drive has a bad sector(where his video driver is installed).So go ahead and reformat your hard drive,but be sure to use a LOW LEVEL format.

NOTE:
    If ur not goin to use a low level format, there's a possibility that a bad sector stays.

11. nEffect

nEffect Guest

I had same problem whit my first 6800 GT (6 moths ago), it was PNY's, after installing drivers (66.93, all) I get always same BSOD in Windows, whit drivers uninstalled I get no BSOD's. I took it to shop where I bought it and they gave me Gainward 6800 GT "GS" because that sucky PNY was broken. Now I don't have any BSODs

12. zweef_jr

zweef_jr Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX480
    i use the xg 77.62 and they work great.

13. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Dude...drivers cant possibly do that to the card. 77.72 run perfect in all games i play including HL2. This is the most childish thread ive seen yet.

And again for the 100 millionth time stated in this forum...

To fix video overlay gamma!

1. go to color correction
    2. Chose overlay at the top
    3. at the bottom chose advanced
    4. hit apply this fixes the prob

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  14. Buzzkill

Buzzkill Member

GPU:
    Geforce 6800 GT 256 AGP
    Works good for me. :cool:

15. polka

polka Member

GPU:
    inno3d 6800gt
    the 77.72's work fine on my 6800gt.

16. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    77.72 work great here too

17. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    77.72 works good for me

So when u try and log into ur windows it black screens and monitor light goes yellow?

Try bootin the system in VGA Mode

18. Little

Little Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070S 2.1/15.8
    the 77.72s crash my machine every time i exit guild wars. the 71.89s dont. but other than that they r great. i like to have the newest ones installed. but dont wanna go back to older ones cuz i will lose the performance gain

19. jinsatoemo

jinsatoemo Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 470
    77.72 works great for me too.No probs here.

20. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    its offical 77.72 mess up my Hard Drive not my gfx card because i test it on my friend pc and it work fine with the 72.14 driver but when i install it on windows xp home edition, pro, x64 and window 2000. and none of them can log me into window only my monitor light turn yellow and reboot. and when i change the display to 1024*768x32 it give me a black screen, like this.
    ---------------------->
    _

[.][.][.][.][.][.][.][.][.][.][.][.][.][.][.][.][.][.]
    then it reboot. right now i am using the mess up Harddrive because i have no money left over. and right now i install windows xp home edition sp2 and all of my driver install fine, and for some reason when i reformat my HD and quick format and fresh install my window my video driver dont work but my card work fine. also how to fix this problem on my HD. do i have to buy a new one or look to solve this problem.
    [​IMG] right now, i am usin1280x1024 at 60hz do of reason 1024x768@ 60 hurt my eyes so much and 1280x1024 is fine for my eyes.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2005