Want to upgrade my whole system ( opinions)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nz3777, Aug 29, 2017.

1. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Well since my kid has officialy taken over my gaming rig I think its time for Dad to build another machine lol. The only problem is I do not have such a High budget like some of you guys here but I would like nothing less then 8-Threads so anything from a used 2600k, Used 3930k,3960x, would be more then enough for me.I cant help but wonder if Ryzen 1700 would be my best bet honestly at that price its a no-brainer,thoughts? ....I will be pairing this up with a high-end motherboard and more then likely a Gtx 1080 or 1080ti possibly sli not sure yet? ....I do not game as much anymore 40 year old old-fart haha so yeah whats up guru"s what schould I do here?

1) Ryzen 7 1700- $269.99 Thats a steal at that price wow!
    2) Ryzen 5 1600-$189.99 Awsome price as well

My question is what is better for gaming 3960x Overclocked or 3930k oc or is Ryzen better at gaming? I have 0% experience with the new Ryzen cpu,s so would love to hear someone that has one. Only thing I do NOT like about them is the oc celing is 4ghz thats it, to were I can get a used intel and more then likely pass 4.5 ghz on liquid cooling- Whats a man to do? Thanks guys.

2. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD / NVIDIA
    Ryzen 7 is good for now and future.
    Coffee Lake will be hit market later this year, Intel finally stepping up to compete with Ryzen.
    Strength of Coffee Lake would be more cores and hopefully better IPC. Overall performance probably won't surpass Ryzen 7, but probably be better for gaming.

Unless you have a lot of time and will to troubleshoot and configure SLI for each game, I would not recommend it.
    Just go with single GPU. If 1080 seems not enough, get 1080Ti. Both are great cards for 1440p.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  3. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

3930k and 3960x will be upgrade for you,just for one reason you will have more cores and threads,not sure how good they're OC'ers and I cannot comment on that,been for very long time on X58 then on X99 and been in middle with Z97(4790k) which I dumped after 2 months I think

I would go probably with Ryzen R7 1700 as that price is really good,just have look on 5960X which over here in UK still can be bought used for £500 and if you go route of the Ryzen then I'm sure people over here will be able to help you with choosing right RAM and motherboard,yes 4.0-4.1GHz is as OC max but still with that OC Ryzen have same multithreaded performance like my 5960X with higher OC

Currently I'm on X99 but I'm just waiting on new motherboards for ThreadRipper and I will jump the ship to AMD

Hope this helps and best of luck there

Thanks,Jura

4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Yeah the whole Ryzen chraze got to me also but money is the single most important issue. Hell I guess 4ghz vs 4.5 is not going to make that big of a diffrence in most cases.The sli issues its almost hard to believe devs are slowly walking away from multi gpu gaming, that really sucks and I hope things go back like they were during the Fermi gtx 580 then Kepler those were some fun days I must admit.Seeing however the Gtx 1080 is so fast as it is, whats the point anyway? 1080 is faster then 2xgtx 980 2 cards so plenty of power there! Just want to make sure thr cpu can keep- up ect. Thank you guys very much for your time and input,I cant wait to start this project really hyped up.

5. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Radeon RX 580
    If money is the biggest issue and you want good game performance then put most of the focus on the GPU. As you may know, it is the single biggest factor in game performance so get the most powerful one you can afford. If you can get a GTX 1080 then definitely go for that (a 1070 is also a nice option) and you can build the rest of your system around it. I would opt for a powerful GPU, a Core i5 or Ryzen 5 and a SSD.

6. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Yes a 1080 or 1080 ti it will be for sure,Still have not decided which cpu I am going to get.Found a used 5960x for $500 dollars but that is out of my budget.

7. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    If you can find an old Sandy Bridge i7 +board/ram for cheap (say, $200ish? for all), that would still work, but the chipset is aging. My girlfriend runs a (stock) 2600K on a high end, g1.sniper 2 board and it's still fantastic for gaming. But...

...If I were building from scratch today (I'm running a 4790K, still happy), I would grab a Ryzen. Best bang for buck seems to be the 1500X or 1600X. They give i7 levels of performance (or better) for just under/over $200. I would personally get an 8 core, 16 thread 1700X at ~$300. I hear motherboards are a bit scarce. Overclocking I'm unsure of, but they're clearly the top banana over Intel right now.

On video cards, if you aren't gaming really heavily like the kids are, (I'm 44) just grab a 1070. While not cheap, it's quite powerful and saves some money. Next tier down (1060) is pretty significant. Wait on SLI until you need it.

I presume you're getting at least 1 SSD for the OS. Get another large SSD for games (or for the OS/games). Spend some of the money here. Games are getting huge these days and take forever to load from older, mechanical drives.

nz3777 likes this.
  8. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Yes what you said is very true ( Ryzen) is just such a sweet-spot now its almost impossible to overlook them.

I had a 4790k for about a year Oc to 4.5 Ghz - was more then happy with the Z97 chipset. Miss my Intel rig honestly.
    Dont have the time anymore to invest in gaming but I tell you what from time 2 time I still enjoy sitting-down and firing-up a game at max settings lol.

Yes for sure Ssd,I am running 2 of them now and would never in hell go back to Hdd for my Os- I have an old Dell even have an ssd in that one-Was thinking with the new build to go with Nvm-express or whatever its called,Intel optane had me curious for a while but was told its not worth it.

Cheers Brother.

9. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

Been on Z97 and i7-4790k and I have not been very happy with the performance on this CPU

That time I didn't game a lot and I rendered a lot more with CPU and there 4790k has been slower than my old X5670

If I would build the PC now then Ryzen are hard to not take to consideration and not using them

Regarding the motherboard, have look on ASRock Taichi or few other boards, RAM hard to recommend but Ryzen really needs fast RAM and for GPU, GTX1080 or GTX1070 are great cards

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    That's exactly where I am in life. I can't/don't game as much but when I do, I want it to run buttery smooth at high settings. I spend more time reading the internet on my gaming rig than actually gaming. We've had PCs since the early 80s so PC gaming is in the blood. =D

11. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG STRIX 1070
    At this point buying an intel processor is better for gaming than amd. For video cards the Vega's are faster than the 1080/1070 nVidia cards, but you would need a higher wattage PSU. If you want a video card that will last you longer than couple of years, get the 1080TI, but remember you'll need a fast cpu to not bottleneck it.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti @2GHz silent
    Can you show where Vega beats the 1080?
    It beats a stock 1070 in some things but its close and the 1070 pulls it back with higher clocked cards.
    1080, not seeing it.
    I agree about the 1080ti if you haz the bux.

13. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Yeah I usually stay-away from Amd Gpu's (no offence) towards anyone of course.For Gaming Intel does have a slight lead very true but my main thing is the Overclock headroom I just do not like the fact that Ryzen cannot go above 4ghz ( kinda lame ) in my opinion but I guess you cant have it all now can you? Hence thats why I was looking at used Intel cpu's 3930k,3960x etc....

Nvidia Just kicks-ass all around in gaming, They have the best and most mature drivers and they seem to be the only one thats left making high-end products so yeah....I am team Green all the way.

14. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD / NVIDIA
    For the same price I'd take Vega56 over 1070. But I will take Nvidia for any higher end. Vega 64 is very poorly priced for performance.

Also, don't stable much with overclock headroom. We life in 2017, performance != clock speed. Even Intel drops IPC once there cores.
    I don't even mention the fact that buying old CPU is gambling, since you never know how long it will last and there no warranty on it.

You want CPU just for gaming, get 7700k and call it a day. Hopefully it will last you 2 years, until games start to choke 4 cores. But hey, you gonna enjoy 5 additional fps, right?

15. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Yeah those 5 frames are gonna break the bank lol, no actually i compared motherboards and intel z-270 has such a wider selection of boards (5 pages vs amd's 1)

A 7700k with a m-atx board with good oc options is what id like, those hit 5ghz easily so I might just dish-out the xtra $100 bucks for it screw it.