1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want a 6TB HDD ? No worries as Seagate is on it !

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 31, 2014.

1. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
  2. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Personally, I use SnapRAID as a data protection scheme. It is not a backup, but it is very close to being one (for my purposes). I would be no more worried about a 6TB drive failing than a 2TB drive...other than the 2TB drives are out of warranty so I would have to pony up the money to replace it.

3. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    Should I worry about something like that?

4. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I couldn't agree more. I stopped putting their drives in customers systems about 3 years ago, and if they specifically ask for seagate, I tell them I simply wont warranty hard drive problems and they'll have to deal with the manufacturer themselves. in the past 6 years i have almost exclusively used wD Black drives and have had one failure out of 100+. My own desktop PC has been running 2x raptors, 2x 640gb WD black for 6 years 24/7 and 2x 1tb wd black for 3 years 24/7 and they're flawless.

... (famous last words)

5. anoop.r

anoop.r New Member

GPU:
    Ati HD 4650 1 GB DDR 2
    don't try multi platter hard disk

6. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Then you are stuck at nothing larger than 1TB.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yes you should, and to TK I would RMA that too they probable gave you a refurbished HDD

I have never had issue with seagate drives out of all 10 i used in 20 years they all work with no errors, other then the relocation data they all get at some point but they all passed. And 2 seagate drivers I actual droped 5 feet by accident still work to other then chirping they do cause of that drop. but everything else passes on the smart tests.

The only HDD i question is the seagate 5200 Momentus in my ps3 slim (all ps3 used seagate Momentus drives far as i could tell) cause my ps3 slim make chirp/ audio noise every now and then that could only come from HDD as the noise i hear cant come from the fan or the BD drive special if there no disc in it. I use to have seagate 7200 Momentus in my fat ps3 before the fat died that was same size that never made noise.

the ps3 slim Momentus is only seagate HDD i question

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  8. mjw

mjw Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti 2GB SC
    Seagate have moved their big capacity disks to 5900rpm haven't they?

Lower rpm, more reliable going forward

9. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Yes, they found that increasing the speed from 5400rpm to 5900rpm made a large difference is drive performance while still keeping a very low power draw. It seems to be the best point for power to performance.

They also moved to four platter discs for their four terabyte drives.

10. mjw

mjw Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti 2GB SC
    Any guess on what these will retail at? I wouldn't pay more than £180 tbh

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Everything on that drive is backed up on an external drive. I got a 2gb barracuda black rma from another rma I am going to chuck in. I would backup what you have on that drive and rma. Never going to buy a seagate product again.

12. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    6tb? i want one ... or two, but from WD or Hitachi not seagate.

seagate should worry about reliability before trying to release bigger drives imho.

13. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    They are no more or less reliable than any other drive. Anecdotal evidence can be found for all manufactures, showing that all of them have the least reliable drives out there.