Wanna Flash your RX 470 towards a 570? It’s possible. 480 towards 580 as well.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 19, 2017.

1. vestibule

vestibule Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 Zotac mini
    I would like to have a go. I have the sapphire RX480-4GB.
    There are x2 sapphire RX580-8GB bios on techpowerup.
    So any one got an RX580-4GB version bios as I do know the 8GB bios will cause me a lot of trouble.

2. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    do like I did- find a review on you rebranded card and ask the person who made the review to share the bios .
    hope for you they will be nice like Hilbert ;-).

3. vestibule

vestibule Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 Zotac mini
    TY I will give it a shot.

4. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I'm more concerned about the PCI-E power draw than anything which has probably been completely fixed on the RX 580. I would seriously think about this before flashing my 480.

5. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Why worry? what could happen ?

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Good point.

7. asder00

asder00 Don Di Driver Staff Member

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64 Liquid
    Took the rx 580 1450mhz Sapphire bios, edited with my mild oc with undervolt and 1750 ram timings:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

New limit in wattman for vcore is 1.200 (1.150 before)
    No issues in windows for now, gonna try games in a bit...

8. JulianBr

JulianBr Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Does anyone have XFX 580 8GB bios? I have XFX 480 RS 8GB and would love to try this out. I remember doing this to my 5850, flashing it to 5870

9. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    How much this will affect temperatures on vram ?
    All my cards that were OCed and vram was not cooled enough died after 2-4 years.
    HD4850 , HD4870, HD6870, FX5800 and i think another one. ALL died same way or very similar , starts with small artifacts (white dots for example, or green artifacts).

If it doesnt affect temperatures badly, i would do it without hesitation , if i had dual bios or second card i can flash bios i this fails!.

10. vinyl

vinyl Active Member

GPU:
    6870(OC) @ 975mhz
    I've just talked Pong recently so that made my day man, ty. Decaf day... If you do coffee endurance training, you understand breaks are a must (albeit, rendering slower up-take) Paddles were also in my youth and most certainly within too short a reach from parents and grandparents.. :p

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

11. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Could anyone that has been able to flash a 470 to 570 or 480 to 580 download the Nicehash GUI Miner from nicehash.com and run the benchmarks for the GPU? If you want to speed it up you could just check the 2 "DaggerHashimoto" algorithms that are at the top of the benchmark section and leave the rest unchecked. :)

www.nicehash.com

12. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    Nice that this works on the AMD cards. I'd love it if I could flash my Titan X (Pascal) to the new Titan Xp, too. But I guess that won't work with Nvidia. :(

13. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    It would probably be fine with an AIB card with the 8 pin PCI-e. But remember the reference 480's that only came with 6 pin PCI-e. AMD had to reconfigure the drivers because there was a chance it could draw to much voltage from the motherboard socket and damage the board. The 580 draws more power than the 480 as it is clocked higher, so this could potentially make it even more of an issue.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That did not effect custom boards from AIB partners. Just the early reference models.

15. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    AMD should send out 5 series stickers to anyone who bought a 4 series. So, you have an RX470?

[Peel]
    [Hold it straight]
    [Stick...Rub]

Presto-chango... Done! You've got an RX570 now!

16. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yes, that is very true. I just put that out there as there is bound to be someone with a reference board that tries this and could potentially kill the motherboard.

17. gianluca

gianluca Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 OC
    I thought this power draw thing was a problem only for the people with cheap motherboards. And the fact that AMD fixed this with drivers means that was mainly a software problem, fixed already for the 480 and not present in the 580. So I guess flashing the bios won't bring back the old software configuration of the reference 480.
    As for the 6 pin power connector, as far as I know this can deliver more than 150W (up to 200), not the 75W some say, and PCI-E 3.0 is designed to deliver more power than the PCI-E 2.0. In other words the 6 pin connector shouldn't limit the overclocking capability of the card when using a motherboad with PCI-E 3.0 slot and the power draw for this card shouldn't be a problem eventually, because it could handle it without damage.
    Now, I'm far from expert on this regard, I know only what I read, so I can be wrong, but I kinda trust Roman :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq47qmwcus8

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Anyone not worried that the RX480 has only 1 PCIE Connector (apart from certain vendor models) and the RX580 has 2 PCIE Connectors!??

I can see people bricking their cards this way, unless you edited the BIOS files to lower the clock speeds... then what is the point really they are both identical cards anyway?

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Great to see this, since there's little actual hardware changes, this is quite nice to allow people to do.

This won't work just like with AMD card that don't have the same chip on them... "up-flashing" only works if your chip has all the same cores. (See the example between 270X and 370X for instance, above.)

20. edilsonj

edilsonj Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2060 S
    Only reference cards has one.