Wage !

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by IchimA, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    /bow

How do you get so much work?

2. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I'm lucky in that I live in an area with just over 40,000 people that has only one Staples and two other computer repair shops that suck ((badly)).
    I'm priced lower than Staples (which is $200+ for virus repair, and they usually just end up formatting your computer and giving it back), but higher than the mom-and-pop that thinks they know what they're doing but end up driving people over to me even though I'm more expensive. They've screwed up so many people's computers that will never go back to them that I've NEVER had to do any form of advertising at all - seriously! And those people tell their friends, and those people tell their friends, and on and on. Turns out that everyone has a computer!! Luck day! ;)

Needless to say, I have the lionshare of the work in this entire county. Plus, it's just ME doing all of it - for a couple reasons:
    1) I have trust issues in that I can't guarantee that anyone else will perform like I do or behave like I do when at someone else's house/business
    2) I don't need the overhead. I can take care of over 20 computers by myself in a day anyway, so why outsource and have to give any of that money away?? (not that I always have 20 computers here, but there's never less than 10 per day - including most Saturdays)

Plus, I do it from what used to be a separate basement apartment in my home that's been renovated and turned into a full-fledged computer shop, so I have NO overhead at all.
    Add to that, I've been doing this since viruses were only written for Apple computers (1982-83), and you've got a winning combination of personality, exhaustive experience in every area of IT, and the willingness to give people what they need in a timeframe that suits them.

Psychlone

3. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    You're a very lucky guy :D I fixed a girl's laptop and backed up all her data etc etc last week for free :/ all recent ex girlfriends had their laptops sorted and put on win7, always fixing family pc's and friends and never charge :bang:

If I open the local paper and turn to the back there's at least 5-10 one-man pc repair company small ads.. I can think of 4 PC repair shops in my tiny ****ty little town of a few thousand people, go another 5 miles and i can add another 3 and a huge PC World :( Where I live it's just town joint to town joint to town with the odd city, the New Forest wedged on top and the beach below, so there's a lot of everything already :(

4. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    ^ Oh, don't get me wrong, there are random kids working out of their parent's basements all over the place, but no one trusts them... at least not for long. I get people in here EVERY DAY that have taken their computer to one of the cheaper "services" to correct their errors. They always leave happy, but sometimes repairing the damage these kids leave in their wake is frustrating!

I am lucky though - I took over an established computer repair business about 2 years ago that had built up 10 years of clientele... and he gave me all the client info AND his landline (get this) FOR FREE. Good guy! Not that I wasn't already busy, but that literally tripled my daily throughput.
    In all honesty, I have 30-something 5 subject 180sheet college-ruled notebooks FULL of names of people that I've taken care of, not to mention all the walk-ins and housecalls that I haven't written down in these books... I'd honestly have to say on the order of 8,000 customers or better, and growing every day.

But, I do need to say that all this business has put a major damper on my "other job" of pre-media hardware beta testing... I'm either going to have to drop out of about 1/3 of my work, or drop out of the beta circles that I've occupied for many, many years...
    (oh, and before it even gets started, DON'T ASK because I won't elaborate. It's called NDA for a reason)

ANY of us here at Guru3D, with the right area, can produce a GRIP of money doing business like I have! Most of us know our way around a computer well enough to tackle almost anything that is thrown at us, so why not capitalize on that experience and make some cash?
    I find that if you undercut your competition too far, you'll work yourself to death AND run the risk of people not trusting you with their prized, digital personal information. If you price yourself too high, then people will just as soon go to Staples or a 'big-name' store to get the job done, but if you're right in that sweet-spot ...lower than the big-name stores, in-line with all the other competition, but have a good working strategy (i.e. 24 hour guarantee, 100% virus eradication guarantee, 95% data recovery guarantee, free antivirus installs, free diagnostics or whatever you want to focus on), then MOST of us in this forum can make money hand over fist like I am.
    But be careful - you start making money then you've got to have a business license (which is really only like $25/year for the area I live), and then you've got to worry about taxes on your income, but hey, you're in business FOR YOURSELF! You write your own checks instead of waiting for payday from your employer!!

Psychlone

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I love being self-employed too :) and good for you Psychlone, great business you got there!

6. Illnino

Illnino Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    $4800 AUD (after tax) used to be $6000, but changed jobs. Now working as Plant Ops for a mine site. Bit less pay but i only work 4 1/2 months of the year so makes up for it ;)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  7. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF EVO 5700XT
    i do sales / cust service for a brewery. i earn $3300 AUD p/m after tax, converted works out to be 2436.76 eruo

8. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    Make zero right now but HVAC classes start in September and I am just waiting to hear if this organization is gonna pay for me.

9. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Converted it comes to roughly 3900 Euro's per month.

10. DaDevil90

DaDevil90 New Member

GPU:
    GB GTX970 G1 @Custom Bios
    wow you guys make alot...
    CNC Operator/programmer - 306Euro :(
    Bulgarian wage's suck no matter what you work period!

11. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    G1 1070
    Ya , also Romania wages suck. Psyco ... you need a helper :D ... here I can't start a computer bussines as It's full and advertisment is dangeros. But I do have an idea , I just need the money :(.

Want to leave the country , but have no where to go and also can't leave my GF here :(( ...