1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W10 ntoskrnl.exe Error on OS Instal

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by pegasus1, Apr 23, 2019.

1. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Ok, this is confusing me as ive never come across it before.
    So i Dl the W tool onto a USB stick, boot the rig, the Windows flag comes up but then i get a
    The operating system couldnt be loaded because the kernal is missing or corrupted.
    File: windows system32 ntoskrnl.exe
    Error code: 0x0000098

Things i have tried
    Downloaded the MS tool via different PCs and different USB sticks
    Tried a different CPU
    Tried a different Mobo
    Tried a different SSD
    Changed just about every boot setting in the Bios
    Tried a wired mouse
    But still the same issue.

Ive built PCs going back to W2000 and never had this issue

Before i try the SSD in my laptop and instale it there (then transfere to PC), wondering if anybody else has come across this issue.

Thanks in advance (and ive trawled the interweb for answers yes.)

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
  3. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    I had read that during my reserch and the case of the guy posting that was the issue but im Dling the creation tool direct from the MS site (MediaCreationTool1809.exe).
    I think il just be swapping out the M2 from my MSI gaming laptop, putting the clean M2 in, seeing if i can instal then swaping back.
    The only thing i didnt change was the Corsair Ram but its on the list for both MOBOs ive tried and its fine for that CPU.

4. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    Into BIOS:
    Enable and Disable LEGACY Boot.[Try one at a time.]
    Also disable Secure boot.

5. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Thanks
    Tried that on both the mobos (one Asrock, the other MSI) ive used, also tried the MSI Bios feature that enables/disables W10 enhancments.

6. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    Get a DVD (storage capacity??) and put the installation media on it and install.

7. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    I would have but currently thats not logistically possible. If im still having issues in a couple of weeks il be in a position to access an external drive so that will be an option then. Its almost a 5gb ISO so will need a BRD burner.

8. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    Fine.
    Definitely must be the RAM!!!!
    Swap with another stick and check!

9. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Will do in a couple of weeks, nothing in the Bios suggests its a RAM issue though and nothing ive read with that error points to RAM. Time to swap the M2 with the one in my laptop and give that a go, if that doesnt work then it must be an issue with Media Creation Tool 1809.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    It can be that OEM of your laptop has embedded license, key or whatever into UEFI BIOS. And it can be that Windows setup just discovers that info and finds it outdated. I remember reading texts where gurus managed to use some "slip-something" tool to update or to remove that info from BIOS. I am trying to remember and to find it but still fail to...

UPDATE: Not "slip" but "SLP" and "SLIC"
    https://techdoors.wordpress.com/2012/09/26/activating-windows-7-oem-way/

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019

11. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    The build im having issues with is not OEM, it all new components, one of god how many builds over the last 20 years.

The laptop il probably use doesn't have an OEM installation, its an MSI gaming laptop and i installed new drives (1 x M2 and 2 x SSD) when i bought it as its pretty configurable at the point of sale.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    One last thought: is you faulty rig connected to Internet while installing Windows? I mean have you tried to install without Internet connection?

13. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Its not connected, its just a MOBO and PSU on a table at the moment. It doesnt even get far enough to connect to the internet, i boot a static windows flag comes up for a few seconds then into blue screen.

14. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    I cant see your mobo Z68A-GD80 (G3) compatible with Windows 10.
    But however it should have installed??!!
    ------------------------------------------
    ??? means you have been using the SSD flawlessly from your laptop and then you removed and connected it to your motherboard. Am i right?

what i am wondering is : SSD Caching feature

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  15. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Different rig bud, this MOBO is an MSI B450M Pro VDH V2 with an AMD CPU, The M2 SSD as well as all other components are brand new, never used. At the weekend i will put the new M2 into this MSI gaming laptop and instal W10, i will then transfer the M2 to the new mobo and see if it boots.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    is the date set right in the bios?

17. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Ok finally got this sorted, i put the m2 into my gaming laptop and loaded W10 onto that, then took it out and put it back into the new build, hey presto, but then an odd issue or two.

1 - For whatever reason neither DX nor .net was loaded on, this became an issue when i tried to load the NV driver for the NV 1030 card. So once id Dl'd and installed those all was good.
    2 - The copy of windows i installed insists its already activated by digital license, very odd as it wasnt connected to the internet when it was loaded whilst the m2 was in another machine. The m2 i put back in that other machine also says its still activated.
    Its a legit download from the MS site and i do have a legit code for it, the build is new and no OS has been activated on it before. All very strange.