W10 Home Deactivated and changed to Enterprise

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by pegasus1, Oct 16, 2020.

1. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    EDIT* Super Bizarre Thing Has Happened
    So ive had this laptop for around two weeks, activated W10 when i got it and all have been fine. Booted it this morning and its now saying not only is my copy of windows not activated but that its no longer Home but Enterprise.
    Also when i use the Run command to check my key, it gives a different key to the one shown in the settings (the last 5 characters are shown only but they are different).

Has anybody else had this happen, ive got 5 W10 PCs and ive not known this to happen, nor in the 20 years ive had Windows PCs.

Does anybody have a link for the easiest way of contacting MS about this, i would have thought my Product ID would have reactivated it but no.

Thanks in advance.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    If your Windows was switched to another edition then probably you can undo the switch, return to previous one.

PS As for keys, Windows 10 does not show the real one anymore - just some stub/proxy.

pegasus1 likes this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This is a recurrent windows bug that has happened for some since 170x.

pegasus1 likes this.
  4. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Ok, so i found a link via a friend as id just typed this, he said this is common on W10 pro (which i don't have) and gave me a generic code. I typed it in, my W10 Home copy has now activated and has changed to W10 Pro

So, i had a legit copy of W10 Home, this morning it deactivated to W10 Ent and has now changed again to an activated copy of W10 Pro, 2020 has a lot to answer for.

5. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Yip, what i did and i now have an activated copy of Pro, unless that is what i had in the first place as its a new lappy and to be honest i never actually checked!!!!!!

What is spooky is that even when it said Enterprise i still had Bitlocker which im sure is Pro only.

6. BFeely

BFeely Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080
    BitLocker is for both Pro and Enterprise.

7. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Cool but ive checked and my lappy came with Home but ive now got Pro.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    [​IMG]

mbk1969, pegasus1 and INSTG8R like this.
  9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    One of the computers from my last job got it backwards.
    After an update, the unit lost connection with hthe domain controller.
    IT team ended up reinstaling and had some issues activating the Pro licence. Kept back to Home after updating.
    The endless joy of dealing with computers.

pegasus1 likes this.
  10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Did the company give you the license key? Sounds to me you are working with VL keys.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    The computer was bought from HP directly, it came with W10 Pro preinstalled.
    Was connected to the domain from day one, worked flawlessly until that update.
    After that, the unit went haywire, license related. Hardware/OS wise normal.

12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Then the license key on the bottom of your laptop should enable your Pro system, unless they didn't supply one.

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    It was a desktop computer. They supplied a licence.
    As I said, the unit activated the licence as Pro, after an update ended up with Home.
    And did it again, even after reinstaling.
    Left that job more than a year ago, don't know what happened afterwards.

14. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Same for me, no license key as its a digital one, laptop bought from SCAN UK via Amazon UK, no issues before the update then the above after it.

15. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I learned something about my key when I recently switched from Intel to AMD. I was fully prepared to need a new key and even purchased one. I’m actually using my original W7 “upgrade” to 10 key and I couldn’t even tell you were it is. Tying it to my MS account ages ago makes that a non issue and well I was about to lose it. Well I did not it literally just activated zero hassle. Checked my MS account and my new AMD rig was listed. Turns out at some point my OEM was converted to a full retail key. So I basically have a perpetual Win 10 Pro key

pegasus1 likes this.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Kind of same experience for me, I changed my motherboard recently with a different one, same exact motherboard model, but a different unit, windows deactivated upon boot, all I did was log into windows with my microsoft account instead of local account, and then put in my retail copy windows 8 product key and it activated again, then switched back to local account and all is good.

So much easier than Vista days.....

17. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    It really suits my lazy use of my MS account just make sure I’m logged in and Store, email etc is all just working.